Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #1581
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Thought this was an interesting read in regards to Netflix and how they fit into the media world in general. While I like the idea of competition between the big media companies fueling better shows, movies and media in general, it is rather obvious that the big guys like CBC, NBC, Sony, etc are stuck in the stone age trying to play catch up to Netflix.

Interesting point being made by people who have worked with Netflix that creatively they have a lot more freedom. Personally I haven't really watched any Netflix shows outside of House of Cards that I really like, but it is obvious that their business model is far superior to most other media companies. At this point despite the fact that HBO is making superior shows, how long will they be able to compete with Netflix when Netflix is spending $6 billion per year on content while HBO can't get Game of Thrones made without delaying for months on end?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix...ood-1490370059
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #1582
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
At this point despite the fact that HBO is making superior shows, how long will they be able to compete with Netflix when Netflix is spending $6 billion per year on content while HBO can't get Game of Thrones made without delaying for months on end?
How long will Netflix be able to keep spending $6 billion a year on content?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #1583
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
At this point despite the fact that HBO is making superior shows,
That's pretty debatable. HBO is top notch but Netflix has produced or co-produced some incredible programming. They've basically stolen the Comedy Specials from HBO now.
Quote:
HBO can't get Game of Thrones made without delaying for months on end?
That's scheduling more then budget, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
How long will Netflix be able to keep spending $6 billion a year on content?
Is that an issue? They made almost nine billion last year IIRC. The six billion figure is 2nd in production costs to ESPN so it's not like they're in a league of their own spending wise. NBC spent 4.2 and CBS an even four.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #1584
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Their spending growth rate is insane though. Not that I'm complaining, but you'd have to think if they keep growing their subscriber base like they have, they will keep spending on new content. Within a few years they could be doubling with most other companies are spending.

I'm not sure what the exact delays are for Game of Thrones, but considering it is the most anticipated show, the fact that HBO can't get around to getting it done is to me an issue when it comes to competing with Netflix.

I do agree that Netflix has great shows/movies with many more coming. I also think if HBO can't get their &$#% together Netflix will destroy them in terms of viewers, ratings and content if they already aren't.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #1585
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Their spending growth rate is insane though. Not that I'm complaining, but you'd have to think if they keep growing their subscriber base like they have, they will keep spending on new content. Within a few years they could be doubling with most other companies are spending.

I'm not sure what the exact delays are for Game of Thrones, but considering it is the most anticipated show, the fact that HBO can't get around to getting it done is to me an issue when it comes to competing with Netflix.

I do agree that Netflix has great shows/movies with many more coming. I also think if HBO can't get their &$#% together Netflix will destroy them in terms of viewers, ratings and content if they already aren't.
Re: Game of Thrones (possible spoilers for those not caught up)

Spoiler!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #1586
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Real Ghostbusters!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #1587
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
The Real Ghostbusters!
Season 1 has almost 80 episodes and the rest of the seasons have about 8 each.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #1588
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Louis C.K.'s new special is out as well.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #1589
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
The Real Ghostbusters!
I downloaded the series once but the quality was god awful. This makes me happy.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #1590
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like they got rid of the star rating system and replaced it with thumbs down/up. I guess Netflix really thinks Amy Schumer is funny and want to protect her ego. I think her special was crap and she ripped off more comedians again.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #1591
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, Netflix changed their entire rating system so you couldn't give Amy Schumer 0/5... right.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #1592
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amy Schumer is unfunny.

This is a good idea by Netflix to hide a low star special in their 'Netflix Original' section.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #1593
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Funny or unfunny is subjective.

What I do know is that Amy takes a lot of abuse and I'm not sure that she deserves all of it. I'll check out her special one of these days.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #1594
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don't particularly like any of Amy's comedy or acting, but linking the new Netflix rating system to her one NO special is lol worthy on its own.

Do Amy haters realise the star system was based off their own viewing and rating habits? A low star rating on her special isn't an average across the board, it's an average of people who don't really enjoy Amy. It's both a rating and recommendation system. The thumbs up/down is the exact same.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #1595
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Louis CK new special was pretty good. Very dark humour.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #1596
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I don't mind Schumer but her latest special is weak.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #1597
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Five Came Back this week. Really well done look at five directors (John Ford, John Huston, Frank Capra, George Stevens, and William Wyler) who left their careers in Hollywood at the top of their game to make documentaries for the U.S. military. These were larger-than-life figures, for the most part, with big personalities and quintessentially American life stories. They gave up a lot to support the war effort, leaving families, losing their places on the ladder of a ferociously competitive movie industry, and putting their lives and health at risk. Members of their crews were killed, and several were marked physically and mentally by the experience (Wyler lost his hearing, Stevens suffered from depression, and Ford's descent into alcoholism accelerated).

They made some remarkable documentaries during the war: Ford's Battle of Midway, Huston's The Battle of San Pietro, Capra's Why We Fight Series, and Wyler's Memphis Belle. Perhaps most importantly, it was Stevens and his crews who captured much of the footage we have of the Nazi extermination camps, footage that was instrumental in the Nuremberg trials.

Despite - or maybe because of - their suffering in the war, most went on to make their greatest films immediately after returning stateside. Capra made It's a Wonderful Life (which was a bomb and bankrupted his new independent studio), Huston made the Treasures of the Sierra Madre, and Wyler made The Best Years of Our Lives, the classic movie of soldiers' struggles to integrate back into civilian life after the war. Ford made They Were Expendable, where he humiliated leading man John Wayne on set for being unable to salute "like someone who has served knows how" (Wayne didn't enlist). Stevens went from being the king of the light-hearted comedy, to one of Hollywood's dramatic heavyweights (A Place in the Sun, Giant).

This documentary is extremely well done, with each of the old directors paired with a modern counterpart (Steven Spielberg does Wyler, Paul Greengrass does Ford, etc.), who walks us through their films and their war experiences. Everyone is tremendously insightful and engaged in the subject. Merryl Streep narrates. Highly recommended.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-07-2017 at 09:28 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #1598
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to watching that one.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #1599
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

13 reasons why is probably the most messed up show i've watched. i'm disturbed and it's been a day since i finished it.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #1600
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else having an issue trying to stream Lotus C.K.'s new special? I am trying on a Telus set-top box.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran