Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2023, 06:17 PM   #1
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Kamloops Blazers Playoff/Memorial Cup Run

Not sure this is thread-worthy, and I assume someone would normally set up a Memorial Cup thread at the appropriate time, so not trying to trump that, but I wanted to comment on the level of hype here in Kamloops.

Attended games one and two of the Blazers second round series vs Portland this weekend. 6-4 and 5-0 wins for the Blazers that were closer than the score suggests. Blazers are rolling, though at 6-0 for the playoffs so far, with Stankoeven leading the way with 16 points in 6 games and Bankier and Zellweger also playing outstanding.

I'll be at most games from here on out til the end of the Memorial Cup, so I'll try and keep this thread up.

Last edited by blender; 04-16-2023 at 10:21 PM.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 11:31 PM   #2
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Update: Blazers rolled over the Winterhawks 10-4 to sweep their second round series, setting up the much-anticipated showdown with Dylan Guenther, Brad Lambert and the Seattle Thunderbirds. The two clear-cut best teams in the West and a rematch of last year's West final. Both teams are 8-0 in the playoffs so far. Something has got to give.
The Series will start in Seattle.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2023, 08:04 AM   #3
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a good day when the Cheaterhawks lose.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2023, 09:03 AM   #4
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I lived in Kamloops in the early 90's when the Blazers were a real powerhouse winning 3 Memorial Cups in 4 years and making it to 4 of 6. Just as they moved out of the old Memorial arena and into the new barn. So Junior Hockey was a huge thing there in those days. Went to to Seattle in 92 when the T-Birds were a mediocre host team but ended up in the semi final against the Blazers that year. Blazers may not win this series but it looks like they will be a worthy host team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2023, 01:22 PM   #5
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

This series against Seattle should be a thriller. The last 2 reg season games were great. The teams have genuine dislike for each other which helps!
Old 04-23-2023, 04:47 PM   #6
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Saskatoon Blades have forced game seven after being down 0-3 to the Red Deer Rebels.

I believe only two teams have come back down from 3-0 to win a series in WHL history. Should be a fun Game 7 Tuesday night!

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2023, 05:22 PM   #7
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The Saskatoon Blades have forced game seven after being down 0-3 to the Red Deer Rebels.

I believe only two teams have come back down from 3-0 to win a series in WHL history. Should be a fun Game 7 Tuesday night!
The Blades also lost both games 1 and 2 at home to Regina in round 1 to start that series down 0-2 before winning in 7 games.

The come back kids up there.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:48 PM   #8
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

remind me what happens if the host city of the memorial cup gets in as league champs, who becomes the 4th team?
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 01:03 PM   #9
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
remind me what happens if the host city of the memorial cup gets in as league champs, who becomes the 4th team?
The other team that lost in the championship gets the 4th spot in that scenario.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:17 PM   #10
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blades up 4-2 late in the third, about 6 minutes away from completing the come back from down 3-0 in the series.

Don't see that every day.

EDIT: Comeback complete
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 11:31 PM   #11
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

So after losing the first two games in Seattle the Blazers came hometown a raucous Sandman Centre for game 3, essentially a must-win game. There wouldn't be any shame in losing this series to the T-birds, but getting rolled would leave a bad taste for the next couple weeks, so at least show some push back tonight.

Seattle is stacked. Guenther, Lambert, captain and Flames prospect Lucas Ciona; they are well-coached, play fast and tough, big.

Atmosphere was great, the sea of white was pretty impressive and it was loud. The Blazers came out firing and generated some good looks but also were very loose and lucky not to be down after several breakdowns. They got the lead, gave it up and then got it back and carried the 2-1 score into the third in what became an intense physical battle. Blazers locked it down and got the EN and then scored a beauty one-timer play immediately after to close it out 4-1 with a bullet.
Zellweger is a beaut. No kidding. Watch for this kid. He skates like Brodie or better with great shooting and puck skills.
Stankoeven is so good that I take it for granted.
Ciona was unremarkable, but steady enough in an intense game with high-end talent.
Game 4 on Thursday is critical. Don't want to go back to Seattle down 3-1.

Last edited by blender; 05-02-2023 at 11:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 11:07 PM   #12
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, the Blazers didn't have it tonight.
A closer-than-the-score 8-4 loss sends them back to Seattle down 3-1. Not a good spot.

Blazers came out firing again and almost scored on the first shift, but, like last game, they were loose defensively and this time it cost them as Seattle took the lead and left the Blazers chasing all night. Breaks were only going one way, but full credit to the T-birds for cashing in on their chances.

Dylan Guenther was a monster with a hat trick and terrorized Kamloops' defense all night long. Reid Schaefer was also a menace with a constant physical presence.

Blazers will need to level up to get this one back to Kamloops for a game 6.

One game at a time from here on out.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:19 PM   #13
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dont feel roo bad, they did what the two teams before couldnt do and hand them at least one loss.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:07 AM   #14
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blazers have their ticket to the Memorial Cup punched, and I really want to see the battle of the titans between Winnipeg and Seattle.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:17 AM   #15
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do think it is fair to say that Kamloops is the 3rd best team in the WHL.

Still, it is the little things that add up. Like letting Guenther walk in to the slot and score with one second left in the first.
Total backbreaker.
Blazers can still make this interesting, though. They aren't outclassed, they just need to play tighter defensively and not have any lapses.
Lol, easier said than done!
Old 05-06-2023, 10:35 PM   #16
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, well, well.
HUGE win by the boys in Seattle to bring it home for game 6.
I'll be there on Monday night. Sandman center will be rocking.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #17
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seattle wins game 6, setting up a Winnipeg-Seattle final.

The Ice have announced they'll be playing their home games in the final series at Canada Life Centre.

I have to wonder if it could be a permanent move since they still haven't started construction on the new arena that was promised when they moved from Kootenay, and Calgary showed this year that 3 teams can share one building.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:05 PM   #18
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Report from game 6:
Blazers gave it what they had but it wasn't enough. Both teams seemed worn down as the level of physical play was way less than games 3 and 4. Seattle just had that bit more to give.

Highlight of the night was meeting Jarome Iginla and getting a chance to chat with him. Did my best not to be a total fan boy, but of course Jarome was just himself. First thing he did was compliment me on my Blazers jersey.

Well, rest up, get some practice in, be ready for the Memorial Cup. Level of competition will be high indeed.

Last edited by blender; 05-08-2023 at 11:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 09:55 AM   #19
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want a WHL team to win the Memorial Cup. We’re snake bitten.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:09 AM   #20
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Report from game 6:
Blazers gave it what they had but it wasn't enough. Both teams seemed worn down as the level of physical play was way less than games 3 and 4. Seattle just had that bit more to give.

Highlight of the night was meeting Jarome Iginla and getting a chance to chat with him. Did my best not to be a total fan boy, but of course Jarome was just himself. First thing he did was compliment me on my Blazers jersey.

Well, rest up, get some practice in, be ready for the Memorial Cup. Level of competition will be high indeed.
How has Harry Brunicke looked in his first year?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote