Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Sid Seixeiro: Flames are a top team in Canada right now

Will edit as soon as I can find a video, but when asked to pick a team's best start of the Canadian teams he chose the Flames.

He highlighted the strength of Mike Smith, and feels that if Lindholm can continue and Neal can get it going they're going to continue to be a top team.

It's tough to contain the optimism, but I think I glazed over the question as I'm assuming we're in for another Maple Leafs or Oilers discussion. But for once, I think we actually have a roster and a coach that is worth getting excited about.

Anyone else catch this, and what does everyone think of such a high claim?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Sid_Seixeiro 25 Apr 2015
Hockey In Alberta:

Oilers: Win a lottery.
Flames: Win a playoff series because they work hard and the franchise isn't a joke.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I said it before the season and so far it looks good. I thought the Flames d would be as good or better as Brodie would return to form playing with Gio and Hanifin would way out perform what Brodie did the last 2 years. So far that has come true. Brodie is plus 5 in 6 games and other than 2 mins va the Avs has been great. Imo Hanifin is more reliable defensively than Hamilton

What I didn’t know was Lindholm was this good. To me he’s the single biggest reason this team looks this good. He is a stud in all areas. Face offs, neutral zone, along the boards, pp, pk. He looks like a young zetterberg. If he can keep it up the flames first line is going to break all the career highs

The other exciting part is Sam Bennett is actually making a difference. Him and Neal are starting to click. If they start producing on score sheet...look out
Macho0978 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s still so early to say things like this but the Flames have probably the most complete roster in Canada the leafs have the most dynamic offense and a very good goalie. Flames defense is better than any other teams in Canada, especially when coached properly and the addition of Valimaki, Ras and Hanifin has been an early bright spot. Couple that with the additions of Dube, Neal, Lindholm, Czarnik and Ryan and that only strengthen my optimism for this season. I’d say the leafs are definitely above anyone offensively but the flames have the most complete team. Jets are good but I’ve never been a fan of that defense.

Last edited by Beninho; 10-18-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely think we should be excited about this team, regardless of what others may think. In fact the less they talk about the Flames the better.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
It’s still so early to say things like this but the Flames have probably the most complete roster in Canada the leafs have the most dynamic offense and a very good goalie. Flames defense is better than any other teams in Canada, especially when coached properly and the addition of Valimaki, Ras and Hanifin has been an early bright spot. Couple that with the additions of Dube, Neal, Lindholm, Czarnik and Ryan and that only strengthen my optimism for this season. I’d say the leafs are definitely above anyone offensively but the flames have the most complete team. Jets are good but I’ve never been a fan of that defense.
No it isnt.

We've won a grand total of '0' lotteries.

The Oilers have won 4.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was only pre-season but that game in San Jose really had me believing the Flames would be good this year.

This year's Vegas.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Except with a better ending. Neal is the new Hossa.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am excited that TO media is giving us some love.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
No it isnt.

We've won a grand total of '0' lotteries.

The Oilers have won 4.
The Oilers technically won only 3 lotteries.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The finest team in all the land!

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #12
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
The Oilers technically won only 3 lotteries.
Technicality, whoever wins the 1st overall pick wins the lottery as far as I’m concerned. If the oilers had won the lottery, what would their prize have been? The 1st overall which is what they had to “settle” with.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Okay we’re good. I’d like a low profile of just winning , staying healthy and securing a playoff spot.

I hope by then we have secured a backup as it’s the only thing this team is lacking. Unless whoever we play in net gets some serious defence in front of him.

I’m worried about Smith but want to see him get something he deserves which is a cup.

Man it’s excting after years of waiting and watching player development, scouting etc to see things progress.

Bill Peters and Geoff Ward ....Hakan Loob a scout.....all the new additions playing well .

Go flames .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #14
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even regardless of lotteries, the Oilers have picked in the top 5 a total of 7 times. The Calgary Flames have only picked in the top 5 once.

Like Sid said, even when times are tough, the Flames work hard. Whereas the Oilers are always a no good joke.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #15
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Even regardless of lotteries, the Oilers have picked in the top 5 a total of 7 times. The Calgary Flames have only picked in the top 5 once.

Like Sid said, even when times are tough, the Flames work hard. Whereas the Oilers are always a no good joke.
The sad and funny thing is that the Oilers actually do try hard on the management side, but they are just so bad at it.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #16
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I think Jets fans will argue the first point, but it's a change of pace to actually be in that conversation in the first place.

To the defence, I can't wait to see that come true. I have a lot of confidence that Brodie will have softened the loss of Hamilton quite a bit by season's end, and it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the backend shapes out. In either case, the personnel moving around back there is pretty solid.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #17
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The GG Flames last season were 4-2 to start the season. Just saying....

However this team looks better overall. Last seasons early wins came almost exclusively off the Jesus play of Mike Smith. This year it's been a much more complete effort from everybody. No passengers. This type of play seems much more sustainable then simply relying on the goalie all game.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #18
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Did Sid scream this out with a big dose of his fake rage?

Glad the Flames were recognized, but Sid's sincerity is (to me) always questionable.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #19
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
The GG Flames last season were 4-2 to start the season. Just saying....

However this team looks better overall. Last seasons early wins came almost exclusively off the Jesus play of Mike Smith. This year it's been a much more complete effort from everybody. No passengers. This type of play seems much more sustainable then simply relying on the goalie all game.
I had a bunch of optimism last season too, but as the season went on it became more and more clear that Calgary was playing the wrong brand of hockey. This time around, I'm actually seeing the Flames playing much closer to what we saw in the playoffs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #20
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Did Sid scream this out with a big dose of his fake rage?

Glad the Flames were recognized, but Sid's sincerity is (to me) always questionable.
Lol, I can't find a video of it anywhere but it was more of a passionate 'don't hate me Leaf fans/Canada'. More of a 'hear me out here'...

The tone I normally talk in myself whenever hockey comes up...

"Here me out, your team is really super too. I'd love to talk about my team too for a bit... oh, I have to compare each player on my roster with yours until I make a comparison you disagree with and we talk more about how great Tavares is?"
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post: