Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #1301
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

No thanks
Old 03-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #1302
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #1303
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, the injuries create a need, I get that.

Can I swallow Brett Lawrie the player? Yes, at the right price and for the need of the team. The person? That's a much bigger pill.

I get the need, but that feels like such a step in the wrong direction. The Brett Lawrie days are a black hole in Jays history.

Blah.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #1304
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The last thing this team needs is Brett Lawrie. Please never let him put on a Jays jersey ever again. I cannot believe he is only 27 still.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #1305
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I could see it. I think he'd be better off going to the Royals or Mets since he'd have a better shot of sticking (extra bench spot on the Mets and the Royals are dog-manure) but with the current health of 3B/2B being dodgey I could see a fit in the short-term.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #1306
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

People might disagree with some of the decisions Gibbons makes on the field, but as a person how can you not love Gibbons?

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #1307
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

The girlfriend was sick yesterday, so we watched the full spring training game yesterday against the Rays. To keep it interesting, I thought I'd try a hand at scoring keeping. What a fataing disaster - it was pretty much impossible to keep track of all the substitutions.

2/10 - will never attempt to score a Spring Training game again.

PS - Please no Brett Lawrie
Old 03-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #1308
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While i'm no fan of Lawrie, it's looking more and more like Devon Travis is going to be injured yet again and will start the season on the DL. Even when he comes back, let's be honest, it's only a matter of time before he is back on the DL again. I think for that reason i'd be OK with bringing Lawrie back. I love Barney/Goins as backups, not as everyday starters though.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #1309
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Lawrie also injured?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #1310
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

So I was reading the Fangraphs chat today and saw this lil nugget...

Quote:
Brazilians baseball: How much interest is Eric Pardinho getting from MLB teams? And where do you see baseball in Brazil in ten years?

Eric A Longenhagen: Had workouts for LAA and CLE here in AZ but I have Toronto as the front runner. I think it will continue to grow and I hope we can start coaxing athletes who might otherwise have played soccer or basketball onto the diamond. Someone needs to find the next Ronaldinho and put a mitt in his hand at 12.
... 16 year old Brazilian who hit 94 on the gun as a 15 year old.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #1311
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well Latos continues to suck in the pre-season. I was pretty excited with that pickup, but it doesn't look like he'll be sticking around based on performance.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #1312
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you have any interest is seeing the Jays in Seattle this June, I would highly suggest picking up tickets now. I just got tickets to all three games, and pickings are slim even with the presale (general sale starts Monday for individual games). The Saturday game is getting close to being sold out.

Presale Password is "SAFECO".
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #1313
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
If you have any interest is seeing the Jays in Seattle this June, I would highly suggest picking up tickets now. I just got tickets to all three games, and pickings are slim even with the presale (general sale starts Monday for individual games). The Saturday game is getting close to being sold out.

Presale Password is "SAFECO".
Thanks for the heads up. It is looking like a party deck weekend for me that weekend.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #1314
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Thanks for the heads up. It is looking like a party deck weekend for me that weekend.
General sale starts Monday. I suspect it will sell out quickly once that begins.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #1315
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rogers making friends again, not that it's easy making friends with Scott Boras though.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...anchez-salary/

I hope they throw Sanchez's inning limits out the window. There's no chance this guy signs in Toronto once arbitration is done. His long term career should be the least of the Jays concerns. Milk him for as much as he can give while we still have him.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 03-16-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #1316
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Rogers making friends again, not that it's easy making friends with Scott Boras though.

I hope they throw Sanchez's inning limits out the window. There's no chance this guy signs in Toronto once arbitration is done. His long term career should be the least of the Jays concerns. Milk him for as much as he can give while we still have him.
Sounds like Boras wanted the Jays to give him special treatment. The Jays have had the same way of handling contracts like his for the past 10 years. At the same time when your Ace is making next to nothing it shouldn't be a big deal to be as nice as possible.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #1317
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post
Sounds like Boras wanted the Jays to give him special treatment. The Jays have had the same way of handling contracts like his for the past 10 years. At the same time when your Ace is making next to nothing it shouldn't be a big deal to be as nice as possible.
Did you read the whole article? It goes into a bit more detail further down. They didn't want special treatment, they wanted the same treatment as people in his immediate comparable peer group have gotten in several different organizations. They aren't talking a million dollars here either.

The Jays have ridiculously antiquated policies. The 5 year contract rule being the shining example of this. They don't update them to be in line with the rest of the league and I think we all know the reason why. Just because a policy exist, doesn't mean it's an appropriate policy.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #1318
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Would Boras cut the Jays a deal in the same situation? Hell no. Agree or disagree with the Jays tactics, if they give in now it's only going to make it more challenging to sign him long term in a few years.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #1319
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh poor Boras and Sanchez. I'm sure the pair of them would be chomping at the bit to give the Jays a discount of some sort if the roles were reversed.

Hopefully he can survive off his half a million per year util he cashes in on a $20-30 million per year deal a few years from now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #1320
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Would Boras cut the Jays a deal in the same situation? Hell no. Agree or disagree with the Jays tactics, if they give in now it's only going to make it more challenging to sign him long term in a few years.
The Jays are never going to sign a Boras client long term anyways. So I have no problem with them sticking that to Boras and Sanchez, but their antiquated policies go beyond Scott Boras and on this one he's 100% correct. There needs to be flexibility and they need to stop hiding behind antiquated policies in order to nickle and dime players to save a 100K here and there.

If i'm a high end prospect and the Jays draft me, stuff like this would really play on my decision to sign there or re-enter the draft.