Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on his play so far I would say the Flames will once again be searching for a new starting goaltender in the offseason. Shame he's not working out as it's probably going to cost the Flames any chance at making the playoffs.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #42
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Elliot could never gain the trust of the Blues, and we're seeing why. For years he had the luxury of playing on a very strong team with one of the most respected coaches in the game, which benefitted his personal stats.

Elliot is a good NHL goalie, no more no less. He's 'fine'. He can have success on strong teams, but with a team like the Flames, his weaknesses are exposed. I keep thinking back to the two goals he let in against Arizona a few weeks back. Although the Flames won 4-2, the two goals were his to own entirely. Again, on their last win he let's in a very soft goal with less than 2 mins left (at least on that one Brodie can take his share of the blame for allowing Patrick wiercotch to easily walk around him ?!?). The Flames win in spite of him not because of him. I don't think he has stollen a game for them yet this year.

Bottom line, Elliot is a low to mid level No1 , a 1b maybe. he's smply not the guy to take them to the next level. I still wouldn't be surprised if the Flames go after Bishop in the off season.

If I were treliving I would see if you could move Elliot (plus a second?) in a package for Fleury.

Last edited by TOfan; 01-07-2017 at 09:46 AM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #43
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Decent player but for whatever reason has not worked out for Flames.

So answer is no.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #44
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

No.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #45
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Based on his play so far I would say the Flames will once again be searching for a new starting goaltender in the offseason. Shame he's not working out as it's probably going to cost the Flames any chance at making the playoffs.
Agreed.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #46
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Decent player but for whatever reason has not worked out for Flames.

So answer is no.
Not having Ken Hitchcock as coach.
This guy's performance outside of playing in a Ken Hitchcock system has been horrible.
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #47
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

he's been so atrocious that i dont even think the flames should finish the season with him. Look, maybe Chad Johnson is a legitimate number one, but his last few games have been shakey. And if not for Johnson's hot streak, the flames would be a joke right now in the standings.

I think the game plan needs to be (1) re-sign Johnson and make him the starter (2) unleash the three headed monster where Elliott sits in the press box for a few games. Bring up the AHL guys, give them a shot. If one of them works out, demote Elliott. (3) If neither AHL goalies work out, trade Elliott for Bishop or MAF now.

Elliott has been god awful. His only wins in the last 2 months have been against basement dwellers.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its actually really hard to overstate how bad hes been.

Last night was painful to watch. He didnt get much offensive support but even then his nightly muffin costs points.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #49
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One has to wonder if Elliot was a product of Hitchcock's system, Hitch's system makes average goaltenders look good.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #50
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a reason the Blues would move their starting goalie on a cheap contract. The Blues are in their window now so why would they move Elliott unless they knew he wasn't the answer?

Flames picking him up at that cost was still a good move in my books but another good move would be letting him go this summer or even flipping him at the deadline
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #51
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rittich I think will be 25 next year, so he's not really a super young prospect. If the Flames don't offer him an NHL deal, I could see a bottom feeder offering him one and the Flames losing him.

That's provided Rittich plays well down the stretch.

Unless Elliott shows something more than he has so far, there's no reason to bring him back. He's had decent moments, but overall he hasn't been anywhere close to where he needs to be as a starting goalie for a team with playoff aspirations. We've seen enough of the team at this point to know Elliott's poor numbers are a result of his lousy play and not the team in front of him.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #52
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point not a chance. There is time for him to change that thought, but he's hardly earned our starters role. Flames should be looking at other options for next year at this point.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #53
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

No
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #54
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

He hasnt even been close to being a decent backup. He doesnt even make the saves he should make.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
There is a reason the Blues would move their starting goalie on a cheap contract. The Blues are in their window now so why would they move Elliott unless they knew he wasn't the answer?

Flames picking him up at that cost was still a good move in my books but another good move would be letting him go this summer or even flipping him at the deadline
Elliott trade seemed ok at the time, now looking like a waste of a 2nd round pick. Doubt he fetches much at the deadline, if anything.

This team needs a starting goalie. Most other teams in our division have this figured out already.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Elliott trade seemed ok at the time, now looking like a waste of a 2nd round pick. Doubt he fetches much at the deadline, if anything.

This team needs a starting goalie. Most other teams in our division have this figured out already.
Yeah, a team going on a run looking for goaltending probably wouldnt even think of taking a flyer on Elliott at this point.

They'd be looking for a competent backup and at this point Elliott is making it look like this is his rookie NHL season.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #57
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Freddy Andersen was the guy to get. Great trade. In his prime years, and 5 million is a nice contract.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #58
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
One has to wonder if Elliot was a product of Hitchcock's system, Hitch's system makes average goaltenders look good.
I predicted this would happen on this board last summer. Elliott is waiver waire material, then suddenly sets save % records once he joins Ken Hitchcock. A complete product of the superb defensive system he was in. We've seen this before with Hitchcock's goalies. Belfour was a superstar, but he's made medicore goalies look very good.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #59
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

So, if we move on from Elliott, who do we want the Flames to go after for a starter (whether through trade or FA)?

A proven/high price guy like MAF or Bishop?
or a promising backup to tandem with Johnson, like Raanta or Grubauer (both still signed or RFA, so you'd have to trade)?

Maybe Neuvirth or Kuemper?

There's not a lot out there in the UFA pool.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #60
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure he'll bounce back somewhere else, but Calgary's D leading the O approach doesn't suit him. And we have so much depth there I really expect some of the kids to be pushing for jobs if there is an injury and they get a look this season.

I'd love to see first save stats on Brian compared to Chad. It seems Brian gets beat clean more often.

He also seems to play compact/small net.

He'll look great behind a team with stay at home defensemen, if such a thing still exists.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote