Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #1081
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^

Agree, but I think there's a pitcher or two out there that'll be here for spring. Most likely I'll have to look up their stats though, since I won't have heard of them.

I keep forgetting about Pearce when I think about this team. Where is he going to play?
Old 01-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #1082
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
^^

Agree, but I think there's a pitcher or two out there that'll be here for spring. Most likely I'll have to look up their stats though, since I won't have heard of them.

I keep forgetting about Pearce when I think about this team. Where is he going to play?
Utility guy. Probably see him mostly at 1B and LF/RF IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #1083
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
But it's not. Why are you talking in hypatheticals? The Jays aren't loosing money. They are subsidizing their hockey investment with the Raptors and Jays.

Raptors fans will start the feel the same way if they are not willing to pay the luxury tax to add 1 more piece and seriously contented in the next few years.

How would you feel if the Flames ran a budget 10 million under the cap this year because the owners Oil businesses were not doing as well and they wanted to balance them out. That wouldn't annoy you?
Am I losing my mind or are the Raptors not owned by Rogers? I could have swore they were owned by MLSE?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #1084
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the jays have a legit shot at the division this year.

Yankees added Matt Holliday. They lost Beltran and a crappy tex. Tough to say what the young guys do but it's fair to say Sanchez isn't hitting 50 bombs. That team is retooling

Despite the addition of sale in Bos they haven't had a great offseason either. Lost Ortiz and gained moreland. Could see some regression in guys like Bradley and porcello. Tough to say what Ramirez and panda do.

Red Sox are favourites but I wouldn't say all bets are off.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #1085
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Am I losing my mind or are the Raptors not owned by Rogers? I could have swore they were owned by MLSE?
Raptors are majority owned by MLSE, but oddly enough Rogers has a minority interest.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #1086
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Raptors are majority owned by MLSE, but oddly enough Rogers has a minority interest.
Rogers and Bell each own 37.5 % of MLSE. Sold a few years back from the teacher's fund
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #1087
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Rogers and Bell each own 37.5 % of MLSE. Sold a few years back from the teacher's fund
Oh yeah I forgot about that.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #1088
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Is Eddie Roger's getting more involved with day to day operations? Could be a good thing.

Quote:
Truly fascinating stuff today from Jeff Blair's radio show on the Fan 590, as he says he's heard that Edward Rogers expanded the Blue Jays' budget in order to get the José Bautista deal done.

Not only that, he speaks about a genuine friendship between the scion and Mark Shapiro, which certainly sounds on the surface like it could be beneficial to the Blue Jays. If you believe it...

"What really makes me feel better about this deal is I'm hearing, and I trust the people I hear this from, that Edward Rogers gave Mark Shapiro additional money to get the Bautista deal done -- knowing full well the team still needs to address the bullpen and backup catcher, effectively removing the last impediment to putting the Bautista contract to rest," Blair explained on Wednesday's show. "And you know what? That jibes with what I've heard elsewhere: that the Blue Jays' final payroll number is perhaps a little more fluid than most believe. I'm not talking, $20, $25, $30 million more fluid, but I'm talking an understanding that the spigot doesn't necessarily get turned off the second the first pitch of the regular season is thrown. And that comes down to the amount of personal trust between Shapiro and Rogers."

Many fans will, of course, be quick to raise eyebrows at a reporter on a Rogers-owned station talking about the Rogers-owned Blue Jays and the benevolent Edward Rogers
http://bluejaysnation.com/2017/1/18/...y-a-good-thing
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #1089
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Many fans will, of course, be quick to raise eyebrows at a reporter on a Rogers-owned station talking about the Rogers-owned Blue Jays and the benevolent Edward Rogers
I know of one for sure....
Old 01-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #1090
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Is Eddie Roger's getting more involved with day to day operations? Could be a good thing.

http://bluejaysnation.com/2017/1/18/...y-a-good-thing
I actually heard that from a friend a few weeks ago. He's a pretty kool-aid drinker in my mind so I disregarded it at the time. I wonder where he heard that? It's definitely in line with that report though.

I think it's a good thing so long as he's a cheerleader and not a second President. His last foray into the baseball world wasn't so good as documented in that link. Any ability to get the Rogers involved from a personal/emotional perspective though is likely a good thing.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 01-18-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #1091
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anyone know what the Jays 2017 payroll currently sits at? Sportrac says 150M (updated for Bautista), but that doesn't include Stroman who is going to arbitration and doesn't appear to include Osuna or Sanchez. Stroman is expected to get 4M in arbitration.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #1092
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Does anyone know what the Jays 2017 payroll currently sits at? Sportrac says 150M (updated for Bautista), but that doesn't include Stroman who is going to arbitration and doesn't appear to include Osuna or Sanchez. Stroman is expected to get 4M in arbitration.
Sitting around 153 million with arb projections and near minimum for arb ineligible guys like Travis Biagini Pillar and Osuna etc

That also assumes only 1 million left to pay Upton this season.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #1093
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

These numbers seem a bit off.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/toronto-blue-jays/payroll/
Old 01-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #1094
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is one that says 158 million including an estimated 3.5 million for Stroman and a combined 8 million for Sanchez, Pillar, Travis and Osuna. No Biagini on there though.

Http://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-to...lue-jays-info/
Old 01-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #1095
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The whole CDN/USD thing for the Jays is a little overblown. Last year I believe the Jays had the 5th highest average ticket prices in MLB even when converting the CDN price to USD. Can't find that link right now, but will keep trying.

In the meantime, here is some stats in USD (not sure how legit they are) that measure the cost of two people to attend a ball game in each park in MLB. The Jays are the 4th most expensive team ($.02 behind the Yankees). Click on graphic 31. Having spent $19 dollars for a small hot dog and a beer there last year, i'm assuming the stats are pretty accurate based on other stadiums i've been to.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/perso...baseball-game/

Though it's not only hot dogs and tickets, it's also sponsorship revenue that they receive in CAD and that's a lot.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #1096
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe people are trying to downplay the exchange rate because they are so desperate to make Rogers look bad. This is just pathetic.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #1097
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Though it's not only hot dogs and tickets, it's also sponsorship revenue that they receive in CAD and that's a lot.
MLB teams get their share of the tv contract in USD I believe (not 100% sure). Outside of the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox, I doubt their is a team in the league with the amount of sponsorships the Jays do. They sell to an entire country.

Anyway you slice it, the Jays are a top 5 team in revenues the past two years and will be again this year. I'm willing to bet they were in the top 10-12 even before this run.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #1098
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I can't believe people are trying to downplay the exchange rate because they are so desperate to make Rogers look bad. This is just pathetic.
Another insightful baseball comment or thought or analysis!

Seriously in 10 pages you haven't made 1 contribution to this thread
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #1099
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
MLB teams get their share of the tv contract in USD I believe (not 100% sure). Outside of the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox, I doubt their is a team in the league with the amount of sponsorships the Jays do. They sell to an entire country.

Anyway you slice it, the Jays are a top 5 team in revenues the past two years and will be again this year. I'm willing to bet they were in the top 10-12 even before this run.
According to this graph from 2015 they are well down the list.
I don't know how this is calculated or how accurate it is.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...teams-in-2010/

(link says 2010 for some reason, but page says 2015)
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #1100
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Do you ever actually post anything of substance or do you just drop with your one liners? I think Jason14th is still waiting for an answer from you.

While it's obvious the FX rate does effect the Jays to an extent, It's nowhere near as bad as simply looking at the FX rate of the day. Their tickets are around fifth highest in the league even once converted to USD and the average price of attending a game at Rogers Center is 4th once again once converted. The Jays charge a significant premium to their fans ( and justifiably so) which compensates for difference in FX.

It's pretty simple, the Jays are making more on game day even than around 80% of the league even once converting their revenue to USD.

Not sure how that makes Rogers look bad? I don't think I've heard Rogers complain about the exchange rates. It's just not a good argument for fans to say that is why the Jays can't spend as much because it's simply not the major contributing factors. Jays fans pay a premium for tickets, concessions, merchandise over their US counterparts that helps make up for that.