Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers Heat sign Adam Estoclet

The Abbotsford Heat announced today that they have signed forward Adam Estoclet to a one year American Hockey League ("AHL") contract for the 2012-13 season.

Estoclet, a native of Naperville, Illinois, was acquired on loan by Abbotsford from the Grand Rapids Griffins on February 10, 2012 and played 25 games with the Heat during the 2011-12 season. During his first two seasons as a pro, Estoclet played 44 games in the AHL, scoring six goals with 13 assists for a total of 19 points and 17 penalty minutes. Last season, during a six game point streak in February, Estoclet collected nine points from three goals and six assists.

http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/ViewAr...CLID=205563565

devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really really liked Estoclet's game.

He has a ton of drive, a great shot, and is pretty fast. He can lay out a hit, but he can also get pushed around a bit.

Good signing, but it's getting pretty damn clogged in Abbotsford right now.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

THE AHL CREW:

F Greg Nemisz
F Bryan Cameron
F Ryan Howse
F Mitch Wahl
F Roman Horak
F Akim Aliu
F Max Reinhart
F Michael Ferland
F Paul Byron
F Turner Elson
F Carter Bancks
F Gaelan Patterson
F Ben Walter
F Krys Kolanos
F David Eddy
F Quintin Laing
F Dustin Sylvester
F Adam Estoclet

D Brady Lamb
D James Martin
D Brett Carson
D Chris Breen
D Joe Piskula
D Joe Callahan
D Nick Tuzzolino
D Zach McKelvie
D Clay Wilson (or D Derek Smith, or neither)

G Leland Irving (or G Henrik Karlsson)
G Joni Ortio**

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing's for sure. It's going to be one hell of a training camp for the Heat.

18 forwards where only about 14 will make the team (a couple of reserve players included). As well, there's 9 d-men, so three will have to sit.

I'm still a little worried about the goaltending situation.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I'm still a little worried about the goaltending situation.
What's Taylor's status right now? Is he signed for next year or is he a free agent?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
What's Taylor's status right now? Is he signed for next year or is he a free agent?
Free agent. I've sort of been hoping that he'd get signed to a SPC soon by the Heat.

I mean c'mon. 2.21 GAA and .927 SV% in 33 AHL games is a little hard to let go. Not only that, but he put up 2.26 GAA and .917 SV% in seven playoff games too. I hope they at least keep him as a backup because it doesn't sound like Irving will be back.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Free agent. I've sort of been hoping that he'd get signed to a SPC soon by the Heat.

I mean c'mon. 2.21 GAA and .927 SV% in 33 AHL games is a little hard to let go. Not only that, but he put up 2.26 GAA and .917 SV% in seven playoff games too. I hope they at least keep him as a backup because it doesn't sound like Irving will be back.
I think the plan is Karlsson and Ortio personally.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I think the plan is Karlsson and Ortio personally.
I think Karlsson will refuse to play for the Heat. I don't know that for sure, but it's just a feeling. I think he'll go back to Europe if he doesn't make the Flames.

And I'm pretty confused about Ortio's situation as well. Feaster says he'll spend the season in Finland, but then Jordan Sigalet comes along and says he's going to be competing in Abby. Odd situation.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

a competitive training camp for the heat is exactly what the flames need.
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Karlsson will refuse to play for the Heat. I don't know that for sure, but it's just a feeling. I think he'll go back to Europe if he doesn't make the Flames.

And I'm pretty confused about Ortio's situation as well. Feaster says he'll spend the season in Finland, but then Jordan Sigalet comes along and says he's going to be competing in Abby. Odd situation.
I guess it depends on how much Karlsson values playing hockey this year. He can't go to Europe to play unless the Flames permit it, without him being on loan he is ineligible and would be suspended if he refuses to report. If the Flames have no intention of granting him a European loan his only choices are play for Abbotsford or sit out for the year.

Regarding Ortio, I am confused as well, with conflicting reports anything can happen.

I think Karlsson/Ortio duo is the best thing for the Flames as an organization as t would give Ortio a full AHL season under his belt before Brossoit joins the Heat the following season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
THE AHL CREW:

F Greg Nemisz
F Bryan Cameron
F Ryan Howse
F Mitch Wahl
F Roman Horak
F Akim Aliu
F Max Reinhart
F Michael Ferland
F Paul Byron
F Turner Elson
F Carter Bancks
F Gaelan Patterson
F Ben Walter
F Krys Kolanos
F David Eddy
F Quintin Laing
F Dustin Sylvester
F Adam Estoclet

D Brady Lamb
D James Martin
D Brett Carson
D Chris Breen
D Joe Piskula
D Joe Callahan
D Nick Tuzzolino
D Zach McKelvie
D Clay Wilson (or D Derek Smith, or neither)

G Leland Irving (or G Henrik Karlsson)
G Joni Ortio**
I believe you forgot Ben Street as well. I just cant see how this is going to work out.

Ben Walter - Ben Street - Greg Nemisz
Paul Byron - Max Reinhart - Krys Kolanos
Ryan Howse - Roman Horak - Akim Aliu
Michael Ferland - David Eddy - Carter Bancks
Dustin Sylvester - Adam Estoclet - Quintin Laing

Question Mark?
Turner Elson (Returned to Junior as overager?)

Bottom of the totem pole (ECHL/Mutual Release);
Bryan Cameron
Mitch Wahl
Gaelan Patterson

--------

I would prefer not see players like Ferland, Eddy, Howse in and out of the lineup consistently. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in camp.

I suppose competition is never a bad thing, but this does seem a little excessive.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Don't forget injuries are inevitable. And injuries in both the NHL and AHL will deplete Abbottsford's lineup, they will get doubly hit by injuries which is what happened last year.

It can be a bit misleading to look at healthy lineups.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup,, say four injuries for the Flames, four for the Heat and Abbotsford has recalled their ECHL'ers or is signing even more AHL'ers.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Regarding Ortio, I am confused as well, with conflicting reports anything can happen.
Karri Ramo said the same thing too when asked about playing in Calgary, something along the lines of, "Yes, I'm signed right now to play in Europe but things can change, anything can happen."
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Don't forget injuries are inevitable. And injuries in both the NHL and AHL will deplete Abbottsford's lineup, they will get doubly hit by injuries which is what happened last year.

It can be a bit misleading to look at healthy lineups.
Somewhat.

Calgary already has Jackman/Bouma, Stajan/Jones, Babchuk and Smith sitting on the outside of the Flames lineup by the looks of things.

Of course injuries are bound to hit, but as it stands now players will likely be bouncing in and out of the Heat lineup even if its deserved or not. Those players will also likely be the first or second year pro's who need time adjusting to that level.

Its not a huge problem, and maybe I am just being overly critical of player development as we really have not had such depth on the farm for quite some time now. I just dont want to see promising young players like Reinhart, Horak, Ferland and Howse relegated to fourth line minutes or out of the lineup all together due to having a player like Estoclet, Laing, Walter or even Kolanos taking up the prime ice time.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't worry too too much about it HighLifeMan.

I can actually see Walter and Reinhart fighting for that #1C spot. Ferland is a prime candidate to start on the fourth line just because of his physical makeup and ability to destroy people's faces haha. I think Howse will be in the lineup, but will need strong showing at Heat training camp to get into the top 6. Horak will be a go-to center on the Heat, but competition for earning a center spot will be very tough with there being 5 if not 6 centers.

I tend to agree with you though about giving players like Laing a spot in the lineup over a younger player. However, there will be an adjustment period for the first-time pros and that's where a guy like Laing really comes in handy because he can fill almost any forward role.

One thing's for sure: the Flames and Heat training camps are going to be war to see who gets what spots. This is actually one of the most competitive camps for both teams I've seen in a few years. Of course, this is assuming Feaster doesn't make any more trades or moves like we saw today with Clay Wilson.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too too much about it HighLifeMan.

I can actually see Walter and Reinhart fighting for that #1C spot. Ferland is a prime candidate to start on the fourth line just because of his physical makeup and ability to destroy people's faces haha. I think Howse will be in the lineup, but will need strong showing at Heat training camp to get into the top 6. Horak will be a go-to center on the Heat, but competition for earning a center spot will be very tough with there being 5 if not 6 centers.

I tend to agree with you though about giving players like Laing a spot in the lineup over a younger player. However, there will be an adjustment period for the first-time pros and that's where a guy like Laing really comes in handy because he can fill almost any forward role.

One thing's for sure: the Flames and Heat training camps are going to be war to see who gets what spots. This is actually one of the most competitive camps for both teams I've seen in a few years. Of course, this is assuming Feaster doesn't make any more trades or moves like we saw today with Clay Wilson.
I kind of hope they play Horak at RW this season with the Heat. We already have Street, Walter and Reinhart fighting for center spots 1-3