Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #401
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
The companion flight itself is worth more than $700.

Then the open bar lounges. If you travel a lot, you can easily get $700 of value from it.

Also yeah sucks about the TD Visa. Have you found expedia to be significantly more expensive than other places? I still book mostly through expedia so the 20% reduction hasn't hurt me yet, but was curious on your experiences.
I don't travel as much as I used to, but I could see the owner of my company benefiting from that card, as he is flying at least once a week, and sometimes twice.

The expedia prices aren't what really bothers me. If I ever need to change or cancel my plans, it's just much easier to do through the carrier's website. I also don't like prepaying for hotels. I'm told you sometimes don't have to on expedia, but with the TD site you do. My company owns a Marriott hotel, so I get discounts that way, and can't book that through expedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #402
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I don't travel as much as I used to, but I could see the owner of my company benefiting from that card, as he is flying at least once a week, and sometimes twice.

The expedia prices aren't what really bothers me. If I ever need to change or cancel my plans, it's just much easier to do through the carrier's website. I also don't like prepaying for hotels. I'm told you sometimes don't have to on expedia, but with the TD site you do. My company owns a Marriott hotel, so I get discounts that way, and can't book that through expedia.
Your post reminded me to do something about my TD Infinite too. The new changes are terrible, but since the card is provided free to me as part of a service package I'm a little less bothered. I'll probably move to the Gold card that provides me free Auto Club benefits for me and the spouse. That's a tangible value for me.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #403
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Your post reminded me to do something about my TD Infinite too. The new changes are terrible, but since the card is provided free to me as part of a service package I'm a little less bothered. I'll probably move to the Gold card that provides me free Auto Club benefits for me and the spouse. That's a tangible value for me.
The card is free for me now as well, since I switched my banking to TD in 2014. I paid the annual fee for the first 5-6 years. I likely won't cancel the card, but just will refuse to use it. With the construction of my house allowing me to charge some major bills to my card, I'd prefer earning a better reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #404
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
What are the minimum income/revenue requirements for a business platinum card?
No specific requirements for income. Someone got approved with only 20k annual income.
caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #405
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

One warning for anyone considering any TD card with the Auto Club package - the distance they will cover for towing is 200km to the *nearest* garage. Even if it's some shade tree mechanic in Sask. for your Porsche.

Lots of hatred on RFD for the TD Auto Club.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #406
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
No specific requirements for income. Someone got approved with only 20k annual income.
Cool. We signed up our home business for a card on Tuesday. We each have an AMEX already so I don't know if that will help or hurt our application. That welcome bonus is pretty attractive though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #407
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
The companion flight itself is worth more than $700.

Then the open bar lounges. If you travel a lot, you can easily get $700 of value from it.

Also yeah sucks about the TD Visa. Have you found expedia to be significantly more expensive than other places? I still book mostly through expedia so the 20% reduction hasn't hurt me yet, but was curious on your experiences.
Amex plat doesn't have any companion flights... Unless you mean the Westjet card along with this card?

I loved my Amex plat, I churned it with my fiance and will be going back to Amex Plat this year. I travel a lot so the lounge passes are more than worth it with the $400 in travel credit also.

Jason

Jason
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #408
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who doesn't embellish their numbers a little on those applications?

I've also heard if you don't like the annual fee, you can call in and say you're interested but dislike the fee/like the card and are considering moving on to next card due to fee and sometimes they'll waive it.

My father in law got a World Elite Mastercard 3 years fee waived instead the 2 years they offered AND received extra airport lounge tickets last year. I don't know what exactly he said over the phone, but somehow, he got an extra year. (My best guess he complained that the year was half over and got the full year extension even though it was like May or June)

Personally, most of my shopping is at Superstore and Costco (including gas) so the PC World Elite is working great for me @ approx 3% at specific locations and not including the random extra points on groceries if the PC card promotions matches your purchases. It gives 1% elsewhere, so a secondary card that gives better might be worth pursuing if you don't spend a lot at Superstore, Esso or Shoppers.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #409
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
Amex plat doesn't have any companion flights... Unless you mean the Westjet card along with this card?

I loved my Amex plat, I churned it with my fiance and will be going back to Amex Plat this year. I travel a lot so the lounge passes are more than worth it with the $400 in travel credit also.

Jason

Jason
Are you sure?

Quote:
International Airline Program – The International Airline Program (the “Program”) offers a complimentary or discounted companion ticket, complimentary upgrade and, special discounted fares on participating airlines to holders of an eligible basic American Express Cards (“Eligible Cards”) as described in your American Express Welcome Brochure or are otherwise identified to you by American Express (“Eligible Cardmember”). In order to take advantage of the Program, the Eligible Cardmember’s account must be active (meaning not cancelled).

To receive a companion ticket, the Eligible Cardmember must purchase an eligible ticket in an eligible class on a participating airline for an eligible flight originating in and returning to a designated gateway and charge the purchase of such ticket to an Eligible Card. Only select airline(s) offer a companion ticket. Limit of one companion ticket per travelling Eligible Cardmember per booking, Eligible Cardmember must be one of the travellers.
I've never had the Amex Plat, so I'll take your word for it. But that's what I thought this section of the terms meant.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #410
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah I've never heard of that before with the Amex Plat, it's def not something that they point out in the features when you get the card... Someone would have to call their customer service and see what the deal is with that. It's still a great card IMO, even if it doesn't have the companion flight thing.
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #411
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Amex increased the welcome bonus points for Amex Business and personnel platinum card to 75,000!!

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...QSEhETAg%3D%3D

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...QSEhEeDw%3D%3D

This is highest ever welcome bonuses from any credit cards in Canada.
Thanks. Received a business platinum card for our home business today. Now we just gotta charge it to $5000 to get the bonus.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #412
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am just trying to figure out the math on these... if you put $100k on it per year:

With Aspire, $20 annual fee (after 10k bonus points), 200,000 points = $2,000 travel
With Amex, $199 annual fee (after $200 travel credit), 125,000 points = about $2,500 worth of flights on Aeroplan

So, theoretically, Amex an extra $320 or so per year, BUT you have to fly Air Canada only, and subject to availability; plus AMEX is much less acceptable to merchants than MC...

Am I missing something? Tough call. I guess the 75,000 welcome points are nice and I wonder if I can talk them into waiving my fee to get me to switch...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #413
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I am just trying to figure out the math on these... if you put $100k on it per year:

With Aspire, $20 annual fee (after 10k bonus points), 200,000 points = $2,000 travel
With Amex, $199 annual fee (after $200 travel credit), 125,000 points = about $2,500 worth of flights on Aeroplan

So, theoretically, Amex an extra $320 or so per year, BUT you have to fly Air Canada only, and subject to availability; plus AMEX is much less acceptable to merchants than MC...

Am I missing something? Tough call. I guess the 75,000 welcome points are nice and I wonder if I can talk them into waiving my fee to get me to switch...
I'm new to the AMEX Membership Rewards cards so I'm just getting acquainted with the system and am trying to learn how best to utilize the reward points.

With AMEX you can book reward flights in a number of different ways.
1. Redeem for Great Rewards: With TripFlexTM rewards, you have ultimate travel flexibility. Use a travel agency, tour operator or even an online travel website to book your travel. Charge last-minute flights, seat sales, car rentals, cruises, and more to your Card. Then call us to redeem your points to cover the charge – including fees and taxes too9. There won’t be any blackouts or seat restrictions in your way when you redeem.
2. Transfer the Membership Reward miles to other programs like Aeroplan or Avios or others. Depending on where you want to travel and on which airlines this provides good flexibility. Personally, I think Avios is pretty good and is certainly better/cheaper than Aeroplan.

The airport lounge access is quite good with AMEX which is a big benefit if you travel. I'm also pretty attracted to the Fine Hotels and Resorts program (https://www.americanexpressfhr.com/f...l_searches/new)
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #414
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK. The other big issue for me is that merchants hate AMEX. I use that Aspire for everything but gas/groceries/restaurants, big one being Costco. Would have been nice if Costco was still in bed with AMEX. Just don't want to pay that much for a card I could only use some of the time... might have to look at the Westjet card instead. Damn first world problems.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #415
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I find the Westjet card really great. I accumulate Westjet rewards extremely quickly using the RBC Mastercard, the annual companion flight is great, and free baggage for me and whoever is travelling with me is a great little perk.

With regards to the AMEX Platinum Business Card with the 75,000 Amex Miles sign up bonus, is it possible to sign up for the card, put $5,000 on the card, and then cancel within the year so you don't pay the annual fee? I don't really have an interest in paying the $399 annual fee. Does it show up poorly on a credit score if you set up and then cancel a credit card, even if you pay your balances in good standing? Does anyone know if the annual fee is paid immediately or 6-12 months after sign-up?

Last edited by Language; 04-06-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #416
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

With Amex, you actually get 75,000 (welcome bonus) + 125,000 (spend) = 200,000 miles plus airport lounge access etc.

You can book all star-alliance airline flights with Aeroplan miles: http://www.staralliance.com/member-airlines You can get 1.5 cents/mile for economy flights and 4-5 cents/mile for business flights in my experience.

Last edited by caff; 04-07-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #417
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Language View Post

With regards to the AMEX Platinum Business Card with the 75,000 Amex Miles sign up bonus, is it possible to sign up for the card, put $5,000 on the card, and then cancel within the year so you don't pay the annual fee? I don't really have an interest in paying the $399 annual fee. Does it show up poorly on a credit score if you set up and then cancel a credit card, even if you pay your balances in good standing? Does anyone know if the annual fee is paid immediately or 6-12 months after sign-up?
You have to pay the annual fee in the first or second statement.

Cancel a credit card after you have it for over 6 months will not affect your credit score. But if you cancel it with 6 months (especially with 3 months) will have some impact.
The Following User Says Thank You to caff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #418
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I decided to get the Westjet Elite MC. I think the free bags alone will be worth it. Since we will be doing a lot of traveling within NA it seems like the best bang for the buck. I just can't bring myself to get an AMEX because I can't use it everywhere...

Old 04-25-2016, 08:27 AM   #419
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I decided to get the Westjet Elite MC. I think the free bags alone will be worth it. Since we will be doing a lot of traveling within NA it seems like the best bang for the buck. I just can't bring myself to get an AMEX because I can't use it everywhere...
You can also get some Amex cards for sign up bonuses. You can cancel them if you don't want to pay the annual fees.
Daliwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #420
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Most of the none-grocery stores take Amex, including Walmart.

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points