Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2014, 06:48 AM   #261
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Here are my thoughts on Air Miles and why I no longer use them as my main rewards program:

http://www.ourbigfatwallet.com/why-i...-on-air-miles/

I've switched to the scotiabank momentum visa infinite card (cash back) which gives 4% cash back on gas and groceries. This is worth it if you spend about $420 per month on gas and groceries (or more) since there's an annual fee of $99
That's a good analysis/write-up. I have already posted about my happiness with the Scotia Momentum Infinite but it bears repeating - it's a TERRIFIC cash back card. I'm just finishing my second annual cycle with the card and am happy, happy, happy (and a little bit richer).

In my opinion, the only other card that comes close to it (in terms of rewarded value) is the Westjet Mastercard (1.5% on everything, 2% on Westjet flights, $99 companion flights) but it's obviously more geared towards fliers.

Yes - a person could probably mix and match a couple/three cards to completely maximize rewards, but the Scotia Visa allows you to have ONE card in your wallet that is accepted everywhere and gets you 90% of the rewards with zero effort.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #262
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
40k bonus miles and First Year Free for the Amex business gold card!

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...gBHRcTCw%3D%3D

Earn 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points through this referral offer when you charge $5,000 in purchases to your Card in the first 3 months of Cardmembership8. Offer subject to change at any time plus, the first year’s on us! That’s a value of $250*!

I could not believe it when I saw this. It is too generous. Amex is really trying hard to gain customers.
The bonus is very generous and first year free is great but $5000 spend in 3 months is not easy.
Daliwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #263
maverickstruth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daliwan View Post
The bonus is very generous and first year free is great but $5000 spend in 3 months is not easy.
If you can afford the up-front spend, gift cards to places you'll shop anyway over the next while (e.g. Groceries) is a great way to make the spending thresholds on cards like this.
maverickstruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #264
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickstruth View Post
If you can afford the up-front spend, gift cards to places you'll shop anyway over the next while (e.g. Groceries) is a great way to make the spending thresholds on cards like this.

I go to Costco a lot. It might be a good idea to buy cash cards there.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #265
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I go to Costco a bunch and have their Amex. Debating on getting their new Mastercard, or maybe a the PC mastercard as I shop there too. My main card is Visa Infinite as I get it with no fee, and spend usually 2k+ per month I was just able to spin into $1500 towards Disney!
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #266
maverickstruth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I go to Costco a lot. It might be a good idea to buy cash cards there.
Yep, I churned hundreds of thousands of points buying Costco cash cards with various Amex, getting signup bonus after signup bonus. Was great, especially because in Canada you can still cancel an Amex, reapply 6 months later, and get the signup bonus again. I'll miss all those easy points, come 2015!
maverickstruth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maverickstruth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #267
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I go to Costco a bunch and have their Amex. Debating on getting their new Mastercard, or maybe a the PC mastercard as I shop there too. My main card is Visa Infinite as I get it with no fee, and spend usually 2k+ per month I was just able to spin into $1500 towards Disney!
I have the PC MC, but I don't use it anymore, now that I have the Visa. The 4% is better than what the PC MC will give you in their own store. There are some extra PC point deals sometimes, but I haven't been shopping at PC anymore, so it doesn't matter.

I signed up for the new Costco MC. I am happy that it is 3% back on restaurants, and will actually be accepted by all merchants, unlike the Amex.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #268
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickstruth View Post
Yep, I churned hundreds of thousands of points buying Costco cash cards with various Amex, getting signup bonus after signup bonus. Was great, especially because in Canada you can still cancel an Amex, reapply 6 months later, and get the signup bonus again. I'll miss all those easy points, come 2015!
I like the amex sign up bonuses too. They are so generous.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #269
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I have the PC MC, but I don't use it anymore, now that I have the Visa. The 4% is better than what the PC MC will give you in their own store. There are some extra PC point deals sometimes, but I haven't been shopping at PC anymore, so it doesn't matter.

I signed up for the new Costco MC. I am happy that it is 3% back on restaurants, and will actually be accepted by all merchants, unlike the Amex.
I have the Capital one Aspire Cash World master card, so I did not sign up the new Costco card.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #270
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got the Amazon Visa, and really like it. 2% cash back on all Amazon purchases is a really nice perk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #271
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I got the Amazon Visa, and really like it. 2% cash back on all Amazon purchases is a really nice perk.
That, plus no foreign exchange fees.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #272
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
That, plus no foreign exchange fees.
Great! I will get this card for shopping in the US.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #273
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Amex Airmiles card increased sign-up bonus to 2k, and first year free.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #274
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Looking for some advice on a new card as I am thinking about switching from Airmiles.

I put pretty much everything on my card but as a single guy who walks to work and eats out a lot, I don't spend a lot on groceries and gas, which most of the cashback cards seem geared towards.

I like to travel and am looking at the WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard, but is there something better out there?
uofaflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #275
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you like to travel I am still a big fan of:

http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...-travel-world/

As long as you use your reward miles strictly for travel related purchases over $600, it's the best bang for your buck with their reward miles.

I just recently bought a return ticket from Europe on it paid entirely with reward miles and it couldn't have been easier... especially after previously going through the hassle of redeeming Airmiles for a flight with terrible connections.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #276
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Amex increased SPG card sign up bonus from 10k to 20k which is good for 5 free nights:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...gWHBcWCg%3D%3D
The Following User Says Thank You to Daliwan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #277
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
If you like to travel I am still a big fan of:

http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...-travel-world/

As long as you use your reward miles strictly for travel related purchases over $600, it's the best bang for your buck with their reward miles.

I just recently bought a return ticket from Europe on it paid entirely with reward miles and it couldn't have been easier... especially after previously going through the hassle of redeeming Airmiles for a flight with terrible connections.
Thanks for that. Do you have to book with a certain travel service/agent, can you book with Expedia, kayak or even with the airlines directly?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #278
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Thanks for that. Do you have to book with a certain travel service/agent, can you book with Expedia, kayak or even with the airlines directly?
You can book with anyone. When you make a travel related purchase (flights, hotels, etc. - even things like taxis show up), you simply go to the travel redemption part of the website and all your eligible purchases show up on a list. You just choose the one you want to redeem and use your points. So you could use any website or travel agent and it'll show up there.

The only minor catch is that the points redemption is tiered until you are spending over $600. You have to spend in $150 increments until then (ie; if you booked a hotel for $140, you would have to use $150 of points to redeem it). After $600 it's all 1:1 so you just have to save up and use the points on flights or longer hotel stays primarily to maximize them.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #279
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Amex increased SPG card sign up bonus from 10k to 20k which is good for 5 free nights:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...gWHBcWCg%3D%3D
I have been waiting for this for a while. Going to use the points for my Maui trip.
caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #280
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
I have been waiting for this for a while. Going to use the points for my Maui trip.
Better to use SPG points in Asia. 3k SPG points can get you a night in a very nice 4 star resort.

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points