Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #2081
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Working class whites make up the uneducated white voting block that turned the election in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

The wealthier non college educated whites have never voted democrat
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ote-for-trump/

Quote:
In short, it appears as though educational levels are#the#critical factor in predicting shifts in the vote between 2012 and 2016. You can come to that conclusion with a relatively simple analysis, like the one I’ve conducted above, or by using fancier methods. In a regression analysis at the county level, for instance, lower-income counties were no more likely to shift to Trump once you control for education levels.11#And although there’s more work to be done, these conclusions also appear to hold if you examine the data at a more granular level, like#by precinct#or among individual voters in panel surveys
Old 01-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #2082
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Yup still pretty clueless - there maybe some truth but she is certainly going about the wrong way. The oppression business has gone from, "I am superior! Let me oppress you to I am more oppressed than you, let me oppress you!" Same #### different generation.
Ugh, conversation and listening! How dare those dirty dems!
Old 01-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #2083
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think 6-7 seats is pretty significant lol.
That was my immediate reaction as well. Wouldn't currently swing the house, but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Interestingly this is the same guy who gave Hillary a 98% chance of winning for the entire duration of the election cycle. Never once changed from his 98% prediction. Obviously he'd like that have that one back.
Yeah, but that's true of everyone. I basically said I'd bet $1000 on Hillary coming back to win on the night of the election after Virginia was called for her. Glad I didn't have to pay that one out...

Anyway, the resistance to the idea that a proportion of Trump voters were partly motivated to vote for him by their rejection of leftist hierarchies of presumed oppression, cultural appropriation and language games is pretty baffling, given how often the words "political correctness" came up during both the primaries and the general in Republican circles. Well, not that baffling, I guess.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #2084
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump approval rating from Rasmussen on Jan 26: 59% approve, 41% disapprove
Trump approval rating from Rasmussen on Jan 31: 51% approve, 49% disapprove

I mean if he's falling apart in the pollster most favorable to him, his real approval numbers are probably quite ugly. He's certainly had the shortest honeymoon in political history.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:58 PM   #2085
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not downplaying gerrymandering, but I pointed out that swing for the reason you just cited - significant, but not enough to swing the House.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:58 PM   #2086
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mean if he's falling apart in the pollster most favorable to him, his real approval numbers are probably quite ugly. He's certainly had the shortest honeymoon in political history.
Biased, lying Rasmussen. Sad
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #2087
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

4 years of this thread, We're gonna need a whole new door for this one.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #2088
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That was my immediate reaction as well. Wouldn't currently swing the house, but still.

Yeah, but that's true of everyone. I basically said I'd bet $1000 on Hillary coming back to win on the night of the election after Virginia was called for her. Glad I didn't have to pay that one out...

Anyway, the resistance to the idea that a proportion of Trump voters were partly motivated to vote for him by their rejection of leftist hierarchies of presumed oppression, cultural appropriation and language games is pretty baffling, given how often the words "political correctness" came up during both the primaries and the general in Republican circles. Well, not that baffling, I guess.
6-7 seats could end being the margin for many of these cabinet confirmations.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #2089
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Ugh, conversation and listening! How dare those dirty dems!
Discrimination and bigotry based on skin colour is illogical and ####ing stupid.

I am glad my Grandmothers white privileged enabled her to survive not only Nazi occupied Poland but even worse Russian occupied Poland.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #2090
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder, though, how much of this actually lands with him. I imagine the guy surrounding himself with people who will try to minimize the importance of anything that suggests he's unpopular and shift his focus to the people who support him in order to keep him happy. If you recall during the campaign when polls suggested he'd lose the popular vote, he said he couldn't understand how that could be considering the huge crowds that were coming to his rallies. This isn't a guy with a limited capacity for self-delusion.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #2091
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/charesilver/stat...47357105491968

Reports from LA that US Marshals are refusing to enforce fed court orders against CBP. They've been instructed to take orders from US Atty.

Just spoke w/ an immigration atty in LA. Told me that no one is receiving service of process of 3 court orders that apply to LAX: NY, MA, LA

After a man was deported from LAX in defiance of the NY/MA court ordered stay, an LA court issued a TRO against the CBP/DHS

Now CBP/DHS in LAX have three court orders that it should be in compliance with, but no agency has acknowledged these orders.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #2092
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Damn if only there was some way to try and get all people into some form of secondary schooling, like Universities, and Colleges, and Trade Schools...

I wonder if the Republicans have a solution?
It's not about getting everyone a post secondary education, or which party purports to be better about education. It's this singular issue, that one party consistently applies a blanket label to all white people with no care to their individual circumstances.

It doesn't change Trump being a terrible candidate, or any other factors in the election. I just believe that if the Democrats want to secure their midwest fortress again it might be something they should try to give some thought to and reign in. You can be inclusive to minorities without being exclusive to the majority at the same time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #2093
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Discrimination and bigotry based on skin colour is illogical and ####ing stupid.

I am glad my Grandmothers white privileged enabled her to survive not only Nazi occupied Poland but even worse Russian occupied Poland.
Damn it's almost like times change. Did you know that a Republican freed the slaves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #2094
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know if I'd read too much into that. His favorability ratings right now are still far higher than they were the day he got elected or at any point before:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...able-5493.html
Old 01-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #2095
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to inject some reality back into this thread, Betsy DeVos got pas the Senate in a partisan vote. Education just went in the crapper.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #2096
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Now CBP/DHS in LAX have three court orders that it should be in compliance with, but no agency has acknowledged these orders.
This is the rule of law collapsing. If it continues, that's the end of the country, period.

I'm not sure what would be worse: fighting between different law enforcement agencies as to whether they obey the courts or the executive, or the idea that there might very well BE no fighting because there isn't anyone who's willing to enforce court orders. Suddenly you have yourself a dictatorship.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #2097
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
4 years of this thread, We're gonna need a whole new door for this one.
I don't think this thread is getting to 4 months before we need a replacement. It's averaging 190 posts a day at this point. That's probably unsustainable, but yeah it won't be long before this thing is too big and needs to be deleted for the server's sake.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #2098
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Damn it's almost like times change. Did you know that a Republican freed the slaves?
???? Do you have a point
Old 01-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #2099
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I don't know if I'd read too much into that. His favorability ratings right now are still far higher than they were the day he got elected or at any point before:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...able-5493.html
Right but as someone already pointed out, it took the last 5 Presidents between 500 and 1500 days before they had a net negative approval in Gallup. Trump did it in 8.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #2100
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
...given how often the words "political correctness" came up during both the primaries and the general in Republican circles. Well, not that baffling, I guess.
lol... weird.

I get it when it is liberals criticizing other liberals - even if I don't understand your fixation with the topic - but the "way" political correctness is discussed in Republican circles means about as much as the way the Flames are discussed on HFOilers.

"Those damn libtards and their political correctness."
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers