Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #101
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Whatever Brad does with respect to goalies will make sense. I personally hope we do not sign two goalies. It is time to play Gilies as the 2nd goalie, but if he is not ready we platoonRittich and Parsons. I think Smith is a good option as the starting goalie, although Elliot is also an option although I don't like giving up another 3rd round pick.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #102
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

It makes sense that there's a rumoured deal between Pitts and Vegas. I'd be picking Dumoulin over Fleury if there wasn't one. Lots of goalies out there (for Vegas at least).
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #103
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Whatever Brad does with respect to goalies will make sense. I personally hope we do not sign two goalies. It is time to play Gilies as the 2nd goalie, but if he is not ready we platoonRittich and Parsons. I think Smith is a good option as the starting goalie, although Elliot is also an option although I don't like giving up another 3rd round pick.
Gillies has one pro season under his belt how is it time for him to be a backup?

Flames need a legit 60 game guy if they think Rittich or Gillies is going to be the backup.

I rather have Gillies and Rittich in the AHL for one more year and Parsons in the ECHL. 2 veteran goalies on the big club (or a young guy like Grubauer/Pickard with a veteran)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #104
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I think with Treliving's commentaries on Parsons playing in the ECHL, one would have to figure that Gillies is going to have to be the backup next year. Rittich and McDonald split time in the AHL.

Getting Mason for the starting role would work with Gillies playing 20-30 games as the backup.
Nah I can't see Gillies backing up. He hasn't played enough pro games yet to be ready. Rittich? Maybe. Don't really expect either but I'd give Rittich a chance.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #105
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Nah I can't see Gillies backing up. He hasn't played enough pro games yet to be ready. Rittich? Maybe. Don't really expect either but I'd give Rittich a chance.
If you feel Rittich is more ready because he played 2 season in the Czech league over Gillies' 3 years in college and 2 full years of being a pro in NA your logic seems flawed. Rittich is only year older than Gillies but to you seems more ready even though he has played less Pro games in NA than Gillies.

I think Gillies has as good a shot if not better than Rittich to be a serviceable backup/#2 in the NHL next year.

Let them battle it out at camp.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #106
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich is more ready than Gillies. If you think otherwise I don't believe you watched any Stockton games. Gillies' rebound control alone is not yet NHL level and his positioning is a work in progress. Rittich is an extremely athletic goalie with great mobility, but his rebound control is also excellent and he makes a lot more saves just by being in great position and freezing the puck. The only place Gillies has Rittich beat might be the glove hand but I think that is more of an improvable skill as an NHL backup behind better defense,than it is an AHL starter scrambling behind a bunch of 19 and 20 year old D (Andersson was a guy whom other teams liked to dump the puck behind and key in on as he didn't skate that well, whereas Kylington was more steady without the puck but sometimes made ill-advised turnovers... and Kayle Doetzal just loved to ice the puck)

So no, I don't think Gillies is just as NHL ready, and honestly I am not even convinced he has more upside as both can do some jaw-dropping athletic things. I am not trying to rag on Gillies here - goaltending is a crapshoot and for all we know Nick Schneider is the only future NHL starter in our organization - but I would not be comfortable with him as a backup next year whereas I welcome Rittich as the backup.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #107
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

My hopeful situation for next year is a dependable veteran goalie with Rittich backing up. I still believe it is still more beneficial to for Gillies to work on his skills another year in the A, starting most of the games, before easing him into any role in the NHL.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #108
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
If you feel Rittich is more ready because he played 2 season in the Czech league over Gillies' 3 years in college and 2 full years of being a pro in NA your logic seems flawed. Rittich is only year older than Gillies but to you seems more ready even though he has played less Pro games in NA than Gillies.

I think Gillies has as good a shot if not better than Rittich to be a serviceable backup/#2 in the NHL next year.

Let them battle it out at camp.
Something you don't take into account in your analysis is time lost due to injury. Gillies is basically a year back in development because of the hip surgery and missing some time this year as well.

Rittich is closer to NHL ready IMO based on the season's they had in Stockton. I think with Gillies recently missing almost a year due to injury you need him to play games. And that means playing in the minors not keeping the bench warm in the NHL. I don't see how any prospect progresses on the bench. I don't think either of them should be backing up in the NHL next year but if one of them did I think it would be Rittich.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-13-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #109
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Multiple sources claim (LeBrun and Friedman) that Smith would take a lot to acquire. Probably more than the third for Elliott
Gillies has played 1 game. I do think he might be ready for a backup role next year.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-13-2017 at 08:03 PM.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #110
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Ferraro: "I was told that Fleury is staying in Vegas."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #111
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Ferraro: "I was told that Fleury is staying in Vegas."
Good.

Fleury with Grubauer as the back up (on a 2 year bridge) transitioning into the starters role makes sense for VGK.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #112
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like how its okay to be giving up probably a 1st/2nd rounder + More for Smith who is also 35 but a 3rd round pick in next years draft is way too much for Elliott.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #113
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I like how its okay to be giving up probably a 1st/2nd rounder + More for Smith but a 3rd round pick in next years draft is way too much for Elliott.
Nobody is giving up a 1st rounder + for Mike Smith.

Don't let the snot nosed GM's media games fool you.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #114
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Nobody is giving up a 1st rounder + for Mike Smith.

Don't let the snot nosed GM's media games fool you.
Regardless he'll cost more then a 3rd rounder for a Younger Elliott.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #115
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fleury confirms that Rutherford gave him the choice of either agreeing to waive his NMC and stay with the Pens for one more playoff run, or risk getting traded before the deadline: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/201706140127

Quote:
“The team came forward to me and asked … it gave them more [flexibility] for the future, for the summer, so they weren’t scrambling to trade me,” Fleury said.

“I thought it was the right thing to help the team, to stay with the team and finish the season here and have a chance to play for the Cup again.”
Old 06-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #116
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Fleury confirms that Rutherford gave him the choice of either agreeing to waive his NMC and stay with the Pens for one more playoff run, or risk getting traded before the deadline: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/201706140127
Some will debate how good of a goaltender he is but you can't deny the guy is a team player. Can never have too many of those guys in the locker room. Vegas would be smart to start off their franchise with him on their roster.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #117
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Some will debate how good of a goaltender he is but you can't deny the guy is a team player. Can never have too many of those guys in the locker room. Vegas would be smart to start off their franchise with him on their roster.
It wasn't a horrible option for him either though. Good chance of a cup, go to Vegas for a couple fun, no-pressure seasons, then retire or move on.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #118
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I agree he is a team player, but I think what played out shows he was also working in his own best interest. He wanted another opportunity to win a cup with the Pens, which he received, for waving his NMC.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #119
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I agree he is a team player, but I think what played out shows he was also working in his own best interest. He wanted another opportunity to win a cup with the Pens, which he received, for waving his NMC.
Plus there's a chance Vegas passes on him, which IMO is yet another chance for a cup for him, or trades him to a better team.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Right, but thats a huge, huge gamble.

Double OT against Ottawa?

Like...thats like Iginla looking for a Cup but signing with Colorado. Its a huge gamble.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote