Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #121
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post
At least Iginla, Kipper and Darryl gave us a 5 year reprieve from what was destined to be a 12 year rebuilding project.
What?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #122
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Attendance would suggest there is not much of a disconnect.
It's there. Tickets are easy to get for ever game and there are empty seats. It's not at 90's levels but it's eroding slowly. Check out the crowds once they are officially eliminated, the empty seats at the end of the season. As every year of no playoffs passes there will be more and more empty seats.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #123
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post
Our current predicament is because of this: Morris, Tkaczuk, Fata, Saprykin, Krahn, Kobasew, Nystrom.
Dead wrong. Our current predicament is because of this: Kris Chuko, Matt Pelech, Leland Irving, Mikeal Backlund, Greg Nemisz, Tim Erixon.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #124
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Told you guys its all up to Iggy. Ownership is just happy with assess in seats they don't really care about being a contender.
This.

It really is this simple. If Ken King said it as paraphrased he needs to be careful of his audience and approach.

But in the end these guys don't have it in them to make the first move. Based on Iginla's uninspired play he knows that and is fully prepared for them to make him take a big cut or risk going out the bad guy.

Flames suffered badly with fans during the dark years. Moving Iginla - even though a lot of us want to see it and a rebuild - turns the attention back to a team with no face and very little help in sight. Like admitting defeat...
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Doom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #125
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I didn't say he was, i stated i was told he was. big difference. I also know the stories behind some of the things he's done and to who. there is no way that he or anyone could refute what happened. I can't be held libel for the truth.

if someones going to comment back to me with "Here we go..." and nothing further to say, then yes, i think they definitely should share any experience they've had that contradicts what i said.
and yes, i'll repeat it. from what iv'e heard, KK is a dick and a bully!
You put up a big fight for what's nothing more than anecdotal hearsay. "Here we go..." seems appropriate.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #126
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

I'd also be surprised if there were really 4 seperate areas for the new arena. Im guessing that planning for that would have already leaked somewhere, not to mention the land purchasing, etc.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #127
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken King has become a pre recorded hand shaking robot.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #128
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This strikes me more as rhetoric, if the right deal came along I'm sure the orgranization would deal Iggy, Kipper, etc. If it doesn't happen, and we get nothing and they leave, the fans will be p@$sed.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #129
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Ken King has become a pre recorded hand shaking robot.
He's great at it, but it is basically part of his job. Coming out and saying they're exploring their options whilst they're still in a "playoff race" (yikes) wouldn't go over too well.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #130
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
He's great at it, but it is basically part of his job. Coming out and saying they're exploring their options whilst they're still in a "playoff race" (yikes) wouldn't go over too well.
nice avatar lmao!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #131
Gazza
Farm Team Player

Exp:

That's how King is. He also mentioned Sutter was doing great and then he "stepped down" by December.
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #132
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

if I invested $1,000 in a stock that fell in value by 50%, and the market conditions largely spoke to further erosion and the eventual decline to 0, do I hold onto the stock because I previously invested $1,000 and am therefore owed something?

The Flames remind me of that saying 'pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered'... fans are in the seats for now. For now. At this point.

Reality is he should have been traded 2 years ago. This is painfully obvious. This is a sunk cost, cut your losses, move on, and focus on a rebuild. Also remember that this is a sport, and the fact of the matter is that the Flames, and so many of the fans, don't adequately value the intangibles and the qualitative.

Culture, leadership, desire, attitude, tenacity, Iginla is completely empty of these traits, and he is the captain. How does that resonate with a team? And fans are to expect this to translate into what, 5, 6 more years of Iginla's lack of passion and the Flames country club atmosphere?

This team will not make the playoffs until Iginla is gone, and it will have little to do with skill or talent but desire. My prediction. I gotta admit though, he had me tricked for a couple games this season.

Finally, another point, there will always be fans that defend the decision to keep Iginla, no matter how bright light blindingly obvious it is to move along. These fans are Iginla fans, not Flames fans. Alternatively, they are those types of people that just- no matter what- always have to play devil's advocate. I work with some folks like that, the people that are 'well look at it this way'. It's a good quality, but sometimes a statement is just the flat ass truth. No devil's advocate necessary.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 02-20-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #133
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That sounds to me like Kipper will be out longer than they told us he will be.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #134
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Translation: Iginla is worth nothing on the trade market anymore...so we're going to keep him around.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #135
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On the bright side, if the management refuses to let feaster trade Iginla or Kipper, both are on the verge of retiring in the next 2-3 years. It'll be a long 2-3 years with them on the team if they don't make the playoffs again.

If Feaster manages to stay that long as GM, He better stock up on prospects.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #136
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Translation: Iginla is worth nothing on the trade market anymore...so we're going to keep him around.
If they feel this way, and you might be right, they need to strip him of the captaincy and any and all leadership expectations.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #137
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
This.

It really is this simple. If Ken King said it as paraphrased he needs to be careful of his audience and approach.

But in the end these guys don't have it in them to make the first move. Based on Iginla's uninspired play he knows that and is fully prepared for them to make him take a big cut or risk going out the bad guy.

Flames suffered badly with fans during the dark years. Moving Iginla - even though a lot of us want to see it and a rebuild - turns the attention back to a team with no face and very little help in sight. Like admitting defeat...
Are you suggesting that he's not being entirely intellectually honest with us?

The nice thing about intellectual honesty is that it is defined:

Intellectual honesty is an applied method of problem solving in academia, characterized by an unbiased, honest attitude, which can be demonstrated in a number of different ways, including but not limited to:
One's personal beliefs do not interfere with the pursuit of truth;
Relevant facts and information are not purposefully omitted even when such things may contradict one's hypothesis;
Facts are presented in an unbiased manner, and not twisted to give misleading impressions or to support one view over another;
References, or earlier work, are acknowledged where possible, and plagiarism is avoided.

In my opinion that supports the notion that the Calgary Flames are not being very honest with fans. Because if you take your bias away you have to admit that a team like the Calgary Flames does not require the services of an aging superstar like Jarome, and that was probably the case several years ago.

Sadly, they missed out on the opportunity to maintain the Nilsson legacy. It's not very likely that the flames will be able to obtain impact players for Jarome at this point. In fact I'm not even sure that they will get high picks.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #138
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I know people who do business wit KK. from what I'm told he is a bit of a dick and a bully. I can see him phrasing it that way to Iggy too, "we Invested in you, you owe it to us to stay".
Nice. Hide behind the board AND it's not even your own involvement with him.
Solid...
He is neither a dick nor a bully, and I actually know him.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #139
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken King is awesome. I've met him and done modest business with him - I think he's great. That doesn't change the fact that this team needs to change and I think deep down in his heart can King knows it too.

He should bow out with dignity while he still can.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #140
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's there. Tickets are easy to get for ever game and there are empty seats. It's not at 90's levels but it's eroding slowly. Check out the crowds once they are officially eliminated, the empty seats at the end of the season. As every year of no playoffs passes there will be more and more empty seats.
we are almost in meaningless games territory, won't be able to give away your tickets except against the Oilers/Canucks...and the building will be full of their fans for those ones
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote