Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #241
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
Just an update on the pocket gopher problem. I picked up 2 of the Victor Black Box gopher trap (thanks for the suggestion). After digging up 3 tunnel runs, I had no success in the first run, but on the 2nd run, I caught one of the buggers in one end of the tunnel. After I had dug up the tunnel run, I noticed that on the next morning, one of the holes was plugged, up, so I decided to move the traps to that tunnel run, since it seemed to be active. Apparently pocket gophers do not like the light, so they try to plug up any open holes with dirt. Once I moved the trap there, he must've tried to plug up the hole again, and SNAP, he's a goner.

I can post a picture if anyone is interested.

Also, I ended up ordering gravel from CLS. They were significantly cheaper than Burnco and they were able to ship the following day. Highly recommended for any landscape materials.
How much was the gravel? I had 44 yards of washed 3/4 inch delivered the other day for $1290.00 gst included. Need about 60 more yards to finish.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #242
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
How much was the gravel? I had 44 yards of washed 3/4 inch delivered the other day for $1290.00 gst included. Need about 60 more yards to finish.
Holy crap...what are you building/filling?
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #243
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I ordered 4 yards of 20mm rundle rock, and it was $150/yd and $95 for delivery (up to 6 yds). In total, it was around $700.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #244
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post
Holy crap...what are you building/filling?
Redoing my footer drains by hand. Filling it back in with gravel. About half done, have lost 13 pounds so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #245
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
I ordered 4 yards of 20mm rundle rock, and it was $150/yd and $95 for delivery (up to 6 yds). In total, it was around $700.
That's pretty fancy rock, I just needed drain rock.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #246
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That's pretty fancy rock, I just needed drain rock.
Give them a call and ask for Mason. I am pretty sure they have all sorts of gravel, including drain rock
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #247
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

About that landscaping rock I posted about, called 5 different landscaping companies and they had no idea what to do with it and do not accept rock themselves.

Did some random searching and called Calgary Aggregate Recycling, the lady on the phone was very friendly, says I can dump all of the rocks off including my broken concrete for free. If anyone else needs to do the same, they are the place to go since the city will charge $110/ton.

So I'll be doing that on Sat afternoon (Aug 8th), will post pics of what I have tonight so if anyone needs rock then can pick up Thu, Fri or Sat morning. I have quite a bit, maybe 200 rocks ranging from 4" to 16". Located in Braeside.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #248
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

All gone.

Last edited by Engine09; 08-09-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #249
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Trusting the CP collective wisdom

We have the this shrub in our backyard, no idea what it is, and hoping if you guys can help me identify it

Spoilers for size

Shrub
Spoiler!

Leafs
Spoiler!

Thanks
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #250
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

No idea, but your best bet is to post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthisplant/
Old 08-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #251
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post

We have the this shrub in our backyard, no idea what it is, and hoping if you guys can help me identify it

Spoilers for size

Shrub
Spoiler!

Leafs
Spoiler!

Thanks
Maybe a golden alder?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #252
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post

Spoilers for size

Shrub
Spoiler!

Leafs
Spoiler!

Thanks
Was replied on Reddit that it might be Sambucus canadensis
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #253
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

My front lawn needs a good top-dressing, seeding, and fertilizing. I know that this is best done in the spring, but is there any benefit to doing this now (and then again in the spring)? Or should I just wait and do it after the winter?

Also, can anyone recommend a good (and affordable) arbourist? The trees need a little TLC this fall and it is beyond my comfort and skill level, which are admittedly both quite low.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #254
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a reliable landscaping company who works in the inner city?

I need to get more top soil for my yard (as the first batch settled farther down than we thought), roll it, and lay down sod. Unfortunately the guy who was doing our landscaping/fencing has decided to basically stop the job halfway through, and basically skipped down. A really quality individual.

I'm at the stage where I wish I had just done it all myself, but unfortunately I'm just way to slapped with work to even take a weekend off to do it.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #255
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

My columnar aspen trees are infested with wasps, what do I do!?!?!?

I think I had an aphid problem, which is attracting the wasps, and I can't see to find a wasp nest but there could be one buried in one of the trees (there are three total). Went to get some traps last night and everyone is sold out so I made some homemade ones out of pop bottles.

Anything else I can do? Can I spray the tree with something to keep the wasps away?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #256
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post

I think I had an aphid problem, which is attracting the wasps, and I can't see to find a wasp nest but there could be one buried in one of the trees (there are three total). Went to get some traps last night and everyone is sold out so I made some homemade ones out of pop bottles.

Anything else I can do? Can I spray the tree with something to keep the wasps away?
You could try hanging a couple of "Waspinator" decoy nests to deter them from setting up shop. Or a paper bag tied up with a string.

I was skeptical that they'd even work, but I have had a couple in my back yard for a couple of years, and I haven't seen a lot of wasps in my yard over that time. Totally anecdotal, obviously, but perhaps worth a try.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #257
Darby
Draft Pick

Anyone know where in town to buy horticulture vinegar?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #258
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
Anyone know where in town to buy horticulture vinegar?
I've been asked for it many times (I work in a garden centre) and I've never been able to find any in Calgary. Let me know if you do find any. Thanks
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #259
Static
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post

I have the same problem. Two of my columnar aspens have aphid problems and the sap attracts a lot of wasps during the day.

I bought 5 of the Green Earth wasp traps from Rona, the NW location recently restocked. I fill the traps with fruit juice and some slices of hot dog.

After a week each trap is filled with 50-100 dead wasps. It helps keep their numbers down, but doesn't solve the aphid problem which means they'll be back next summer.
Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #260
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm

I had aphids on some hedges, and this worked very well. Took a few treatments. This is the concentrate, you can put it in a sprayer attached to your hose and get the whole tree.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies