Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Reclamation Projects

Every year, it seems like the Flames take a flyer on a couple of players that have fallen in hopes that they can find their game again. We have Lazar for next season, so that might limit thing, but here are a few potential candidates:

Joe Colborne - I know, been there, done that and I am sure this will get shot down fast. I still think he can be a good depth player on a cheap contract (if he was bought out).

Nail Yakupov
- I can't imagine he has much value and may not even be qualified. Another possible PTO or a one year "show-me" deal?

Devante Smith-Pelley
- I am personally not sure he ever had much offensive upside, but I know some people see potential in him.

Stefan Noesen - A 24 year old RW, but has not had a full NHL season yet. Has a respectable 8 goals in 44 games with the horrible Devils. RFA, may not be qualified.

Jamie Olesiak - Huge defenseman and former 1st rounder. Hasn't managed to break out with Dallas and might be a good "change of scenery" candidate.

Jimmy Hayes - Big and only 27, but his offense dried up last season. Fits our need for an RW.

Nick Bjugstad - A big centre, but with a 4-year contract remaining and a $4.1 million yearly salary. Hasn't been living up to his contract and might be a good "buy-low" candidate.

Zemgus Girgensons - A versatile center and winger. Not living up to potential since his 15 goal season sophomore season, but only 23. And RFA with arbitration rights. Could be another "buy-low" option with low risk.

Brandon Pirri - Plays all forward positions and scored 22 goals a couple of seasons ago. May have been a fluke though. An RFA with arbitration rights.

Beau Bennett - A 25 year old, once highly touted RW. Injuries derailed his development. And RFA with arbitration rights who may not be qualified. Might be a good low-risk signing or acquisition.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-29-2017 at 02:47 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Misunderstood. Sorry

Last edited by Toonage; 05-29-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Colborne is signed through next year. As is DSP

Actually a few more of those guys are too
Yeah, but they could still be acquired.

Good point about Colborne though and I didn't notice he is signed for $2.5 million. Maybe a buyout candidate if anything.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-29-2017 at 02:47 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think these guys are all overrated, but if i had to choose one it would be between Bjugstad and Girgensons.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice list. I would have mild interest in Yakupov just due to having a need for a RW and the small chance he figures it out and it pisses of people in Edmonton.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I think these guys are all overrated, but if i had to choose one it would be between Bjugstad and Girgensons.
If I had to choose one I'd take Penny's brother. Could do far worse for the bottom-pairing.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if Bjugstad should be on that list. He has had injury problems which curtailed his production, but I don't think that Florida has soured on him at all.

I think that our own internal options are all better than these guys, except for Smith-Pelley, who is a high character bottom six player (when the chips are down, you win with guys like this), and Olesiak could be interesting, as defensemen take longer to mature than forwards.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bjugstad is an interesting one.

His stats fell off a cliff last season.

I doubt FLA wants to sell low on him, but if they did hopefully Tre is all over it, especially if he can play wing. Try him out on RW with Johnny/Mony.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

bah..a big pass on all of them...maybe if Hayes is cheap, but he is likely another Colborne.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Florida is still big on Bjugstad. I believe they consider him a key core piece moving forward. Just a couple of years ago, he was the Panthers' leading scorer too.

I think with Barkov and Trocheck slotted 1 and 2, Bjugstad is a great 3rd line center. He's decent defensively, big body, and can score if given the chance. There have been thoughts of moving him to wing to help out in the top 6, but that might happen only if other options dry up.

As for the OP's list, I'd be happy with Girgensons as a bottom six stabilizing presence, and I'd also take a flier on Hayes or Pirri. The latter 2 can help with physicality and scoring respectively. However, my problem with Pirri is that he doesn't play a team game, and often shoots at the first chance rather than letting a play develop. Hayes can be an effective 3rd line winger who can score 15-20 if he has decent line mates.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yak is a big one for me. I think the guy got seriously set back by being thrown in the fire right away in Edmonton. I watched him a lot in the OHL and he has unreal talent, he just didn't forget how to play or lost his skill. I believe it is all in his head now, if he can be brought in and given a vote of confidence and put on the top line he has the chance to be that RW we need, God knows the skill is there. Add in the fact he could shove it back in the Oilers face and I would love to see Tre take a chance on him. At worst he goes to Stockton and might find his game there but I still think it is a confidence issue.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames will already be reclaiming Lazar next year I think, and continuing the Chiasson reclamation if he's still around.

Development needs to start coming from within the organization. I don't disagree with picking up players who have a good chance to turn their careers around but I think next year the focus needs to be on some players in the organization that the team will either have to commit to keeping or look for replacements (Kulak, Lazar, Chiasson, Wotherspoon, Poirier, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk, Jankowski).
Old 05-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
The Flames will already be reclaiming Lazar next year I think, and continuing the Chiasson reclamation if he's still around.
Lazar is fine, he plays full motor and can be a valuable asset in the bottom 6. The Flames absolutely need to cut bait with Chiasson, he is not an NHL calibre player.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lazar is fine, he plays full motor and can be a valuable asset in the bottom 6. The Flames absolutely need to cut bait with Chiasson, he is not an NHL calibre player.
His 12 goals and 24 points disagree with you.

Now Lance Bouma and his 7 points on the other hand........
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #15
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yakupov just makes too much sense right now. He would immediately be given a chance in the top 6, and I would be very intrigued to see how much of a spark he would get playing with Johnny.

It means that line might get a little softer, but the talent and speed would be incredible to watch. Calgary already has the 3M line for the tough spots, and Bennett and Ferland both have quite an edge as well.

I would be very welcome to the idea of the Flames taking a waiver on the Nail.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #16
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't see another reclamation project (if you define Lazar that way), unless we move on from Versteeg. You can't rely on a reclamation project to take a top 6 spot, but we do need much better bottom 6 production. I don't think Versteeg was a problem, and would be happy to have him back, but the likes of Stajan/Bouma and Brouwer/Chiasson need to be way better. Maybe Jimmy Hayes for me.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #17
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

I'm a fan of Yakupov for wasting Edmonton's first overall pick alone.
I agree that he has very good skill but we've all seen stars in juniors that can't translate that into the NHL level.

It just sounds like he will come quite cheap and he's still young that it wouldn't hurt to give him a look. I mean anything is better than giving Chaisson top line time for any prolonged periods of time.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
His 12 goals and 24 points disagree with you.

Now Lance Bouma and his 7 points on the other hand........
Those totals are pretty underwhelming given the amount of time he spent playing with Monahan and Gaudreau. That said I feel he showed that he could be a solid bottom six contributor.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #19
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cut bait with a 6'4" 210lb right shooting winger who can skate well, scored 12 goals and 24 points playing 13 minutes a night, was a positive CF%/FF% player and all for $800k...

Why? How is that not an NHL player?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #20
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No to Yakupov. His numbers are arguably worse than Chiasson's.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post: