Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #61
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

During Backlund's development, he always left me wanting more. I was never sold on Backlund until the last year or two. I had hope for him though because there some x-factor in players' games that years of watching hockey lets you see. Backlund had that x-factor and I believed he would turn into a #1 or #2 C, which he did. Maybe it's pedigree or maybe it's just how they conduct themselves, I don't know.

Ferland has flashes but always seems to revert back to a peripheral player. I love his physicality and his shooting ability, but I don't see that x-factor that makes me believe he'll take the next step.

I think he'll be a great utility player, but will most likely play in the bottom half of the lineup more often than not. Guys with good shots and toughness are very valuable though.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #62
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Best Case Scenario, Ferland turns into peak Rene Bourque.

Worst case scenario, he turns into Colorado late-stage Rene Bourque.
You know what, that was literally who i was thinking about when i was reading this thread. Big guy who can take over a game with their shot or physicality.

I think with Ferland, obviously consistency is an issue. But going into his third season as an NHL regular, I would expect him to be more consistent on a night to night basis.
For this coming year, there should be no excuses for fitness or lack of experience, nothing about the NHL should surprise him at this point.
At 25, he's also at the point where if he doesn't "put it all together" now, it's probably just not gonna happen.

More than anyone else, the two players on this team who I really want to see succeed are Ferland and Bennett. I feel both are playing well below their potential level and have soooo much more to show. This coming season is going to be huge for them.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #63
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
During Backlund's development, he always left me wanting more. I was never sold on Backlund until the last year or two. I had hope for him though because there some x-factor in players' games that years of watching hockey lets you see. Backlund had that x-factor and I believed he would turn into a #1 or #2 C, which he did. Maybe it's pedigree or maybe it's just how they conduct themselves, I don't know.

Ferland has flashes but always seems to revert back to a peripheral player. I love his physicality and his shooting ability, but I don't see that x-factor that makes me believe he'll take the next step.

I think he'll be a great utility player, but will most likely play in the bottom half of the lineup more often than not. Guys with good shots and toughness are very valuable though.
I think it's a confidence thing. It took Backlund almost 6seasons in the NHL before remotely becoming the player we see today. I know in interviews he used to say for the longest time he didn't feel like be belonged in the league. Ability was always there, it just takes time to get over that mental block. I think there are similarities with Ferland.

That x-factor your talking about, I definitely see it with Ferland. I see it more in Ferland than almost every other Flames forward. That's what makes it so frustrating sometimes, because you know he has the potential, you'll see flashes here and there, he just can't seem to tap into it consistently.
Call me optimistic, but I feel like Ferland can still turn into everything flames fans want him to be.

Last edited by yourbestfriend; 05-29-2017 at 11:00 AM.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #64
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Best Case Scenario, Ferland turns into peak Rene Bourque.

Worst case scenario, he turns into Colorado late-stage Rene Bourque.

I agree that peak Rene Bourque is a good illustration for his upside. But he is nothing like late-stage Rene Bourque, one of the laziest players I've ever seen.

Absolutely nothing about Ferland is lazy. I just don't see where you;re going with that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #65
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
He's a decent skater I agree, but comparably I look at a big guy like Kassian and see him as a better skater than Ferly. I wouldn't say it's a weakness per se, but it's not a + attribute.
I have no idea what you're looking at - Ferland is fast. I would argue he's very fast. One of the better skaters on the team, and clearly under-rated I guess.

Fan perception of Ferland is baffling to me. I completely understand the viewpoint that he is what he is and he will never put it all together - I get that (though I disagree).

But the tools are there on public display every night and for some reason, some fans just don't see those tools.

Seriously, the kid can fly.

And it's kind of funny that you compared him to Kassian because Kassian is actually an excellent comparison. Ferland has an almost identical tool set to Kassian, just without the idiocy and the d-bagness.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #66
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Prime Bourque was beastly. That's a really, really good thing if Ferland develops into that.

Even if Ferly caps out as a 20-20 player. That's still a massive victory. He's home grown drafted and developed. Not a bad outcome for a 5th round pick.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #67
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I have no idea what you're looking at - Ferland is fast. I would argue he's very fast. One of the better skaters on the team, and clearly under-rated I guess.

Fan perception of Ferland is baffling to me. I completely understand the viewpoint that he is what he is and he will never put it all together - I get that (though I disagree).

But the tools are there on public display every night and for some reason, some fans just don't see those tools.

Seriously, the kid can fly.

And it's kind of funny that you compared him to Kassian because Kassian is actually an excellent comparison. Ferland has an almost identical tool set to Kassian, just without the idiocy and the d-bagness.
I agree completely-Ferland wins footraces quite often, he's one of the best skaters on the team, and has one of the best shots as well.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #68
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ferland has a rare blend of speed, shooting ability, and toughness that all teams cherish. Unfortunately Flames coaches for the most have under utilized Ferland, until the last 20 or so games of this past season. Mono, Gaudreau were so much better having Ferland on their line compared to a Chiasson who did a masterful job of killing plays/opportunities on the first line. Hopefully Chiasson is signed by the KHL or Vegas, and we start the season with players like Hathaway, Lazar and Jankowski. Please no more retreads.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamefan1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #69
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Ferland has a rare blend of speed, shooting ability, and toughness that all teams cherish. Unfortunately Flames coaches for the most have under utilized Ferland, until the last 20 or so games of this past season. Mono, Gaudreau were so much better having Ferland on their line compared to a Chiasson who did a masterful job of killing plays/opportunities on the first line. Hopefully Chiasson is signed by the KHL or Vegas, and we start the season with players like Hathaway, Lazar and Jankowski. Please no more retreads.
I hope the coaches keep giving him those opportunities at the start of next season as well. He seems to be putting it all together....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #70
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait till AC does the Ferland highlight package for last season. I think the doubters will be surprised by how long the video will be. It might even be a two parter.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #71
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Anybody think the Flames should try to "Calle Jarnkrok" Ferland with his new contract?

6 year $12 million ($2m AAV)

Or do they worry about the risk of him going the route of Lance Bouma?
I don't think either side would agree to this deal. If he becomes a top winger he would deserve way more money then 2M AAV but worst case he becomes a Bouma the flames are tied to that contract for long term.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #72
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I don't think either side would agree to this deal. If he becomes a top winger he would deserve way more money then 2M AAV but worst case he becomes a Bouma the flames are tied to that contract for long term.
This is selling Ferland massively short. He is so much a better player than Lance Bouma. Ferland does virtually everything better, and is already at a point where he can not in the near future regress to what Bouma is now. This is not at all a concern, since at worst Ferland is what he is today, which is a good top-nine winger who can play in the top-six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #73
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope next season he gets the powerplay time he deserves.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #74
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed with the comments about Ferland's skating. I actually think that's one of the key things he brings to that line -- he's got wheels and can actually keep up with Johnny in transition. Remember how many times Gaudreau had to button hook because Monahan and the other winger (i.e. Chiasson) was lagging behind? Now think about how many goals Ferland scored on the rush and in transition once he joined that line.

With Johnny they'll never be a strong cycle line but if Ferland can develop his net front game (including some PP time) I think he can really solidify that RW spot next to 13 and 23.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #75
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Just behind his punishing hits, IMO Ferlands best quality is his high hockey IQ. One of the highest on the Flames.

Kid will be a big part of this team going forward.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #76
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I can't wait till AC does the Ferland highlight package for last season. I think the doubters will be surprised by how long the video will be. It might even be a two parter.
I'm worried Monahan and Tkachuk will both need 2 parters as is.

Gaudreau I split into 25/20 minute videos.
Monahan I try and get 1 video under 30, but may need to do a 20/20 split or something.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #77
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Ferland is a great asset , but what scares me about him is that I can see him going the Glencross route. Has some success on the top two lines, gets some PP time, then fancies himself a scorer and forgets what got him his spot in the first place.

That's just pure speculation by me, but I did seem to notice some intensity decline when he started to feel comfortable on that top line.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #78
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think he's reached his full potential of awesomeness yet.

check out these 2 junior seasons

2010-11 Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 56 23 33 56 110 3
2011-12 Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 68 47 49 96 84 17

Last edited by DuffMan; 05-31-2017 at 11:23 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #79
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was actually having a conversation with a guy at golf this past weekend, and we were discussing Kesslers fighting skills, and the guy compared Ferland to Kessler, skills wise, not dbagery wise.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #80
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Was actually having a conversation with a guy at golf this past weekend, and we were discussing Kesslers fighting skills, and the guy compared Ferland to Kessler, skills wise, not dbagery wise.
what a terrible comparison lol...they have an entirely different skillset

They both play hockey