Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames Off-Season Game Plan - TSN

Off-Season Game Plan: Calgary Flames

Quote:
HEROES
Mikael Backlund – A career-high 53 points to go with typically outstanding possession stats. In terms of overall value, Backlund is a legit No. 1 centre, even if he doesn’t get the fanfare.
Quote:
One very real benefit for Monahan is that Mikael Backlund’s line does the heavy lifting, taking on tough matchups, with heavy defensive zone starts, and still manages to push play the right way. Over the past four seasons, there are only three forwards (Patrice Bergeron, Jordan Staal, and linemate Michael Frolik) to have better relative Corsi than Backlund, while starting more than half of their shifts in the defensive zone, and none of them have as big a tilt towards defensive zone starts as Backlund. To make it clear: Backlund is really good.
Quote:
The Flames could use another top-nine forward, or even a top-line forward that would allow Ferland to slide down the depth chart, but it also isn’t likely the biggest priority of the summer. Perhaps a veteran winger like Patrick Sharp or Chris Kunitz would be worthwhile on a short-term deal, or the Flames could keep Kris Versteeg, who was effective after signing late last offseason.
Quote:
While the Flames have some defence prospects on the way, including Rasmus Andersson, Oliver Kylington and Tyler Wotherspoon, there is probably some incentive to bring in at least one veteran to fill out their top four and maybe one more for the third pair. If the Flames don’t bring back Michael Stone, Karl Alzner, Cody Franson, Brendan Smith and Ron Hainsey would be among the free agents to consider.
Quote:
However, after Elliott’s playoff performance, it seems likely that Calgary looks for a new duo between the pipes. They could trade for Jimmy Howard or sign unrestricted free agent Ryan Miller, but if the Flames really want to dream big, they could take a swing at getting Cory Schneider from New Jersey.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't know about Howard... had good stats last year but pretty expensive and the previous 3 years were average to poor. Seems at best a lateral move next to Elliot.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Brad can get Ryan Miller for some magic beans. Maybe Freddie Hamilton and then we can get yet another Shocked Benning Meme saying TWO HAMILTONS?!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Howard is like Smith sort of.

Gotta be somewhere along the lines of plan E or F and only if all you have to give to get them is a cap dump and a C- prospect.

Stajan + Schneider for Howard or Smith and only after ALL else fails haha
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Hopefully Brad can get Ryan Miller for some magic beans. Maybe Freddie Hamilton and then we can get yet another Shocked Benning Meme saying TWO HAMILTONS?!
Miller is a UFA
Old 05-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our winger depth is still pretty bad.

I for one think we need to start promoting from within. It might mean short term setbacks but if we handcuff ourselves to more short-term fill in overpriced vets (ala Brouwer, although Stone and Versteeg could be in this camp depending on if we bring them back and on what terms) we will close our window before it ever opens.

Burke famously said you have to walk before you run, run before you sprint. Our playoff win in 2015 might have been the worst thing to happen to us -- it caused us to think our rebuild was further along than it was.

Stay the course. Promote youth.

My two cents.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Our winger depth is still pretty bad.

I for one think we need to start promoting from within. It might mean short term setbacks but if we handcuff ourselves to more short-term fill in overpriced vets (ala Brouwer, although Stone and Versteeg could be in this camp depending on if we bring them back and on what terms) we will close our window before it ever opens.

Burke famously said you have to walk before you run, run before you sprint. Our playoff win in 2015 might have been the worst thing to happen to us -- it caused us to think our rebuild was further along than it was.

Stay the course. Promote youth.

My two cents.
Who? Who do we have that we can promote from within that legitimately seems like a top six option at RW? Because right now we have Ferland who was promoted from within playing on the top line and it's working out alright but we need more. It's a nice idea but specifically who do we have that has a chance? Or do we just say f it and throw any RW from the AHL in there and pray for the best?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh, forgot Bartkowski has another year, thankfully he's on a two-way. I hope they bring back Stone and I wouldn't mind Engellend at the same or reduced rate.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

A team with Ferland as 1st line RW is unlikely to be a playoff team.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Ugh, forgot Bartkowski has another year, thankfully he's on a two-way. I hope they bring back Stone and I wouldn't mind Engellend at the same or reduced rate.
Bartkowski needed a 2 year deal so that we have a defenceman to expose that meets the expansion requirements.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Miller is a UFA
Also if we go the UFA route, I would much rather go get Steve Mason. 4 years younger and just as solid numbers.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
A team with Ferland as 1st line RW is unlikely to be a playoff team.
What? Ferland was a top line RW for the playoff Flames this year. I see what you're saying - the flames need a top end winger. But quite a few teams in the playoffs this year had middling players on their top lines. Talent is being spread between lines int he NHL these days.

I think that if the flames can seriously upgrade their goaltending and add a #4 D, they will make the playoffs. If they can add a high end RW, they can do some serious damage.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #13
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Bartkowski needed a 2 year deal so that we have a defenceman to expose that meets the expansion requirements.
ah yes forgot about that.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
I don't know about Howard... had good stats last year but pretty expensive and the previous 3 years were average to poor.
I'd do it... but only if Brouwer goes back in return. Howard is a 5.3M back-up goalie at this point and if I'm the Flames I'm not eating that off the cap straight up without a similar amount of bad money going the other way.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #15
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dat RW depth tho....
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #16
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That roster looks like a borderline playoff team. They need to upgrade that first line RW badly.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #17
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
That roster looks like a borderline playoff team. They need to upgrade that first line RW badly.
That's the least of the 3 worries.

#1 - Starting goaltender
#2 - Number 4 right shot D
#3 - Top six forward, preferably right shot

#1 is still a massive question mark, and #2 should be easily solved by just extending Stone after the expansion draft.

If they get the first two taken care of, then the third really isn't that big of a deal in my eyes.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Also if we go the UFA route, I would much rather go get Steve Mason. 4 years younger and just as solid numbers.
Philly doesn't want Mason back, but Vancouver wants to re-sign Miller.

Miller is the better goalie.

I think he's going to Anaheim. Gibson can't stay healthy so they need a 1a/1b setup.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #19
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
IMO RW is just the third biggest priority behind filling the vacancies in net and a competent top four defender to play alongside Brodie. There are realistic internal options at forward (with pluses and minuses) not so with D & G.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #20
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I think that "depth wingers" is a more necessary upgrade than "top line wingers".

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Frolik stack up pretty well against most team's top 3 wingers, and Ferland is decent at worst. After that though, players start to be questionable as to whether they belong in the NHL or not. Chiasson is probably the best of the bunch and he's best suited for 4th line minutes or 3rd line with a decent centre. Brouwer is bad, Bouma isn't great, Curtis Lazar was the worst player in the NHL while he was with Ottawa this year, and none of the AHL guys are ready yet IMO.

Bennett taking a step next year and being able to elevate some bad wingers would be awesome but the top 6 suggested by TSN is absolutely a playoff caliber top 6. The depth is horrible if Bennett doesn't take a step next year.