Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #81
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Very real possibility that this is another case of auto erotic asphyxiation.
I don't know man, maybe I'm looking too deep into that last performance compared to everyone else, but it seems pretty damn telling to me.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #82
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I don't know man, maybe I'm looking too deep into that last performance compared to everyone else, but it seems pretty damn telling to me.
Everyone sanitized Michael Hutchence's death so it wouldn't come out but Ritz Carlton housekeeping found him kneeling, hung from the door closer by his belt, naked from the waist down. If it is auto erotic asphyxiation then we will only know if the family wants us too a la David Carradine.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #83
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very very sad.

A bandmate once asked me and my brother, "if you could sing like anyone, who would it be?"

We both said simultaneously: "Chris Cornell."

Sad day for music.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #84
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Very real possibility that this is another case of auto erotic asphyxiation.
I just watched Norm MacDonald's latest standup special on Netflix.
"auto erotic asphyxiation? Good Lord, people. Look at the risk/reward."
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #85
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I believe so, but I was trying to find out. Seemed pretty deliberate if only for the distraught, spaced out emotion of the performance.
Hard to say....it was a refrain added to Slaves & Bulldozers so it won't get put into setlists as "In My Time of Dying" if they had done it before. Slaves & Bulldozers is an extremely common song for their setlists.

Last edited by ernie; 05-18-2017 at 02:29 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #86
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's stop this right now. It was not auto-erotic asphyxiation. I won't go into much detail in respect to his family, but they have asked that donations be made to charities that help individuals fighting addiction and depression.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #87
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Hard to say....it was a refrain added to Slaves & Bulldozers so it won't get put into setlists as "In My Time of Dying" if they had done it before. Slaves & Bulldozers is an extremely common song for their setlists.
Slaves & Bulldozers ended the show in KC on Sunday night that I was at.

They absolutely killed it all night. Looking through the setlists on this tour I feel so lucky. They played 19 songs on Sunday and the most I could find on any other setlist was 14.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 PM   #88
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was very sad news to hear this morning. He was one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time, he was also an amazing song writer, which I think is often overlooked due to the focus most people put on his amazing vocal abilities. I've been a soundgarden fan since I first got into music as a kid, I was fortunate enough to see them live twice in 2011. Once here with the meat puppets opening and once in the states with the Mars Volta opening. Soundgarden and the Mars Volta were/are my 2 favourite bands of all time, for a long time(while they were broken up) I never thought I'd get to see Soundgarden live, let alone play a show with the Mars Volta opening. I was ecstatic when Soundgarden got back together, and I still remember being in disbelief when I first saw the announcement for the tour dates with the Mars Volta, I still can't believe it sometimes, I know it sounds kinda cheesy even as I write this but it truly was like a dream come true. And they didn't disappoint, it was the absolute best concert I've ever been to and I don't see it ever being topped.

I hope his family, friends and fans can somehow find peace after this tragedy. The world just lost an incredibly talented and by all accounts wonderful human being who touched the lives of millions of people.

The world will miss Chris Cornell and the joy he brought to it. I just wish I could have thanked him for all the songs that have made and will continue to make up a big chunk of the soundtrack to my life.

R.I.P. Chris Cornell
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #89
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This actually makes it much worse for me. I can accept that his body gave out on him, but this makes it worse.
If there is any consolation in this, Chris doesn't hurt anymore
Old 05-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #90
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

RIP Chris Cornell.

I hope it's not insensitive to say but I need a place to ask and learn.

Depression is a real thing, I have no doubt. However I always have this feeling that it's such a selfish act. I recognize I am uneducated and I want to give the benefit of the doubt but I just don't understand how someone can leave behind so much pain for their family by choosing this path. Especially when they have the resources to protect their family from this pain.

I know it's complicated and I hope everyone who is close to Chris are comforted as they deal with the pain and questions.

RIP
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #91
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

From my 5 favourite bands growing up 4 have lost their lead singers to personal demons. Drugs and suicide. Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Alice In Chains and now Soundgarden. Only Pearl Jam left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #92
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Not at all, it's always good to better understand something.

Quote:
Depression is a real thing, I have no doubt. However I always have this feeling that it's such a selfish act. I recognize I am uneducated and I want to give the benefit of the doubt but I just don't understand how someone can leave behind so much pain for their family by choosing this path. Especially when they have the resources to protect their family from this pain.
Seflish? Yes, you can look at it that way. At first I thought you were going to say cowardly, which it most definetely isn't. However, the person does not think of the impact their actions will have on others. They have already passed that point, and see it as the only way out of the hell they are in. To expect someone to continue living that hell to make other people happier is also selfish.

On the note of resources, the lack of resources is a HUGE problem these days. Even if a person were able to get help, it may be a long wait or just may not work.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #93
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
RIP Chris Cornell.

I know it's complicated and I hope everyone who is close to Chris are comforted as they deal with the pain and questions.

RIP
In a nutshell.

Ever feel so sad or depressed that you can't focus on anything else, like when someone close dies or you break up with someone, but you eventually get over it?

Ever feel a little afraid, paranoid or uneasy about a situation or person when it's irrational, like a fear of the dark, but once out of the situation you eventually get over it?

Ever make a poor decision, like yelling in an argument or drinking too much because you are upset or hurt?

Depression is kind of like dealing with the first 2 at the same time, only you can't get out of it, or you get out of it briefly and the feelings return constantly. We're supposed to feel negative emotions as a natural response and and defence mechanism, the problem becomes when we can't stop those feelings when we shouldn't be feeling them. Imagine how it would feel to never get out of those feelings, for months or years. It changes your perception of everything and feeds into itself. You lose your grip on how you should feel and can't find your way back. You begin to think it's all your fault, you start to hate life because everything gets to be so overwhelming. You try to find solutions but don't know where you need to get to, so you look for any way to escape how you feel. This leads to poor decisions on how to cope, because the individual will resort to anything that will provide relief, whether it's drugs, alcohol, cutting themselves or any other addiction or behaviours. When those fail to provide any lasting relief, you become desperate and at this point you may start to see yourself and your issues as a burden to everyone else around you, so you eventually come to the conclusion that it would be best for everyone including yourself that you not be here anymore to burden anyone.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:26 AM   #94
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking your own life IS NEVER selfish.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:44 AM   #95
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Seflish? Yes, you can look at it that way. At first I thought you were going to say cowardly, which it most definetely isn't. However, the person does not think of the impact their actions will have on others. They have already passed that point, and see it as the only way out of the hell they are in. To expect someone to continue living that hell to make other people happier is also selfish.
I disagree with the bolded. Depression can affect one's perceptions to the point that they actually believe their loved ones will be better off without them around anymore. They think of the impact, and think it will be positive. Even if the belief is inaccurate, it's not solely "get ME out of this hell" that drives suicide, it's sometimes a mistaken form of unselfishness.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 AM   #96
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
RIP Chris Cornell.

RIP
Suicide is not a matter of choice. The profound depression that motivates most suicides is a disease.This disease causes a level of pain so profound that it twists one’s ability to assess risk, to make good choices, to maintain a sense of future possibilities.

When people act out of this depression, they are not exercising free choice. They are falling victim to a disease. This disease is not about logic or self interest. It is about an immediate desire to be dead
Old 05-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #97
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad. I really liked his Audioslave stuff, but was one of the few people who enjoyed his solo album with Timbaland. It had a good beat and showcased his voice. Really unfortunate that he felt he had to do this.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #98
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Suicide is not a matter of choice. The profound depression that motivates most suicides is a disease.This disease causes a level of pain so profound that it twists one’s ability to assess risk, to make good choices, to maintain a sense of future possibilities.

When people act out of this depression, they are not exercising free choice. They are falling victim to a disease. This disease is not about logic or self interest. It is about an immediate desire to be dead
I'm not sure about this, either. Maybe we're projecting our personal experiences with suicide and drawing conclusions based on those.

Thankfully, there are resources for mental health issues such as therapy, medication, etc. If you're ever feeling suicidal you can even go straight to the emergency room at a hospital to get immediate help.

I think the greater difficulty comes in if the therapy doesn't help, or the medications don't work, or they work for a time then stop working, or you get sick of the side effects. There really doesn't seem to be a cure; just ways to manage it. Compound a depressed state with external complications such as a break up, getting laid off, death of a loved one or supportive person, or just some general stress and you have a real big problem all of a sudden.

From what I've seen, I think suicide can be a mercy killing in some ways (from the perspective of the victim of depression). It is selfish to expect somebody to live in perpetuity with the anguish this condition can bring when they have genuinely exhausted all other avenues of treatment. It's never an ideal outcome of course, but they deserve 100% sympathy and empathy in life and particularly after they're gone. I cringe so hard when people call it selfish (not in the way Poster asked, though, that was very reasonable).

So I don't see it as an inability to assess risk or future possibilities. I think it can provide a calming experience of clarity. The future isn't bright for everybody and won't get better for everybody. Depressed people aren't stupid and their judgement isn't necessarily clouded. Taking your life is a free choice and probably has greater significance for a depressed person than somebody free from that pain can even imagine. It's the one thing that will stop all the suffering.

But again, there is a small army of professionals - many of whom are wonderful people - that can and will help a depressed person get better. Things can get better and must be tried. You should always do everything you can to save a life, including your own.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #99
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This quote by David Foster Wallace does a good job of describing how depression can lead to suicide.

Quote:
"The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #100
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suicide is ####ing horrible for all involved.

RIP Mark.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote