Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #3781
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBO report is out on Trumpcare. Not surprisingly, it doesn't look good.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ca-devastating

Quote:
CBO on Wednesday released a long-awaited analysis of the Republicans' American Health Care Act, which passed the House on May 4. It projects that:

23 million fewer Americans would have health coverage should the bill become law.
The bill would reduce the deficit by $119 billion.

It would hit the poor and elderly especially hard; a low-income 64-year-old Obamacare enrollee would see her premiums rise between 700 and 800 percent.
Quote:
For weeks now, Republicans have claimed that their new bill will protect sicker Americans. "It will be every bit as good on pre-existing conditions as Obamacare," President Trump told Bloomberg earlier this month. House Speaker Paul Ryan has a website up, right now, where he declares "VERIFIED: MacArthur and Upton Amendments Strengthen AHCA, Protect People with Pre-Existing Conditions."

CBO says this isn't true — and is unequivocal on the point. There is this one paragraph in particular that is especially devastating for the Republican plan:

People who are less healthy (including those with preexisting or newly acquired medical conditions) would ultimately be unable to purchase comprehensive nongroup health insurance at premiums comparable to those under current law, if they could purchase it at all — despite the additional funding that would be available under H.R. 1628 to help reduce premiums. As a result, the nongroup markets in those states would become unstable for people with higher-than-average expected health care costs.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #3782
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Whiny puss
I know, right? Who has to resort to violence like a coward when asked a couple of soft questions?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #3783
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Those damn liberal journalists and their aggressive recorders!

Snowflake
Old 05-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #3784
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Whiny puss
Wait, who are you referring to?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #3785
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
See, this is just a missed opportunity. Should obviously have gone with something like, "Mr. Jacobs, who is a member of the Nation of Domination, aggressively approached Greg while wielding a steel chair. He learned his lesson, and Greg would like to extend a challenge to Mr. Jacobs for a rematch... INSIDE OF A STEEL CAGE."

You know, something along those lines.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #3786
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox news had reporters in the room, and their account is pretty damning for Gianforte:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...-reporter.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #3787
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean I'm hoping for a Rock Bottom or a Chokeslam personally.
Seems like you nailed it...

Quote:
At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #3788
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

That Fox News report is incredible. I look forward to Gianforte winning the election and then immediately being charged with assault, stepping down, and throwing Montana into another special election cycle.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #3789
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty damning. Still, I feel like it was an editorial decision to put the statement last after the part where they said at no time did they see aggressive behaviour from the reporter.

In my mind, it would be logical to have that last, after the statement.

Maybe it's just my uncontrollable cynicism.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #3790
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

So he slammed him and also punched him?

Makes that press release I posted look even more ridiculous.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #3791
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Attorney General Jeff Sessions did not report his multiple contacts with Russian officials on his application for security clearance last year. Department of Justice

Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions did not disclose meetings he had last year with Russian officials when he applied for his security clearance, the Justice Department told CNN Wednesday.

Sessions, who met with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak at least two times last year, didn't note those interactions on the form, which requires him to list "any contact" he or his family had with a "foreign government" or its "representatives" over the past seven years, officials said.

The new information from the Justice Department is the latest example of Sessions failing to disclose contacts he had with Russian officials. He has come under withering criticism from Democrats following revelations that he did not disclose the same contacts with Kislyak during his Senate confirmation hearings earlier this year.

Sessions initially listed a year's worth of meetings with foreign officials on the security clearance form, according to Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores. But she says he and his staff were then told by an FBI employee who assisted in filling out the form, known as the SF-86, that he didn't need to list dozens of meetings with foreign ambassadors that happened in his capacity as a senator.
After CNN's story published, a spokesman responded to the reporting with a statement, saying that Sessions was instructed not to list meetings like the ones with Kislyak on his form.
Sessions was previously quoted under oath as saying
Quote:
"I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."
Special prosecutor is going to nail him, unless the SP gets fired by Trump.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politi....html?adkey=bn
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #3792
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

I like how a lot of the stock footage of his Gianforte guy is him walking around gun shows. Short fuse, prone to violence, loves guns, yeehaw.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #3793
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Seems like you nailed it...
Good lord Vince would be proud of this one. I also like how somehow Jacobs was actually underselling what happened.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #3794
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Charged with misdemeanor assault:

http://www.gallatinmedia.org/

Two Montana papers have pulled their endorsements:

http://missoulian.com/opinion/editor...ign=user-share

Quote:
Greg Gianforte should not represent Montana in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The Republican candidate for Congress not only lost the endorsement of this newspaper Wednesday night when, according to witnesses, he put his hands around the throat of a reporter asking him about his health care stance, threw him to the ground and punched him — he should lose the confidence of all Montanans.
http://billingsgazette.com/opinion/e...ampaign=LEEDCC

Quote:
We're at a loss for words.

And as people who wrangle words on a minute-by-minute basis, that doesn't happen often.

What happens even less — hopefully never again — a Montana candidate assaulting a reporter. While there are still questions left unanswered about GOP House hopeful Greg Gianforte's altercation with Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs, eyewitness accounts, law enforcement investigations and records are all shocking, disturbing and without precedent.

That's why The Billings Gazette editorial board is also doing something without precedent: We're rescinding our editorial endorsement of Greg Gianforte.

Although we're greatly troubled by this action against a member of the media who was just doing his job, to make this an issue of media intrusion or even a passionate defense of the role of a free press during an election would be to miss the point.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 02:02 AM   #3795
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

lool what a moron.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #3796
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Fox news had reporters in the room, and their account is pretty damning for Gianforte:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...-reporter.html
Gianforte: Stop asking me questions! I can't take it anymore!

Reporter: You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses would you? Because that would be a big mistake.

Gianforte: I don`t make mistakes. I bury them.

(Choke slams reporter)

Reporter: (sobbing) My glasses! You broke my glasses!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 AM   #3797
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

@davidfrum: "Aggravated assault, a felony in Montana, is punishable by a term in the state prison of up to 20 years, a fine of up to $50,000, or both."
Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #3798
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what does the GOP prefer happen tonight? A Gianforte loss is absolutely humiliating and the clearest indicator yet the GOP is steamrolling to electoral ruin in 2018...but a Gianforte win means they have to deal with the newest member of the caucus facing assault charges against a reporter, with seemingly all the evidence suggesting it is totally indefensible and indicative of a rage-a-holic likely to crumble under the pressure of DC. While I would imagine they'd still prefer to avoid the humiliation of losing, it's about as close to a lose-lose situation as there is.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #3799
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Frontline had a show on Tuesday Night entitled "Bannon's War," which goes into some detail about Steve Bannon's background and a few others who are now advisors to Trump.

It is worth a watch if you are interested in learning a bit more about him and his racist friends.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/bannons-war/
Old 05-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #3800
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So what does the GOP prefer happen tonight? A Gianforte loss is absolutely humiliating and the clearest indicator yet the GOP is steamrolling to electoral ruin in 2018...but a Gianforte win means they have to deal with the newest member of the caucus facing assault charges against a reporter, with seemingly all the evidence suggesting it is totally indefensible and indicative of a rage-a-holic likely to crumble under the pressure of DC. While I would imagine they'd still prefer to avoid the humiliation of losing, it's about as close to a lose-lose situation as there is.
The GOP can spin a Democratic win as being in line with Montana's unpredictable political nature.
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms