Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
you can fly around the world or go into space to see that the earth is actually round. you can't disprove God
What do you mean by God?

In any event, it is certainly possible to disprove many, many claims of religions with the same degree of certainty that we are able to prove that the earth is not flat. Why should we not be able to discuss these things the same way we discuss the flatness of the earth or the non-existence of moon burns?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read somewhere that there is another theory, The Hollow Earth Theory. As the name suggest, there are some that believe the Earth is hollow at the Poles, and if you can get through the ice, one can fly through the Earth from one point to the other.

Actually, I think it was something that Alien guy meme was talking about
Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
KPat99
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
I read somewhere that there is another theory, The Hollow Earth Theory. As the name suggest, there are some that believe the Earth is hollow at the Poles, and if you can get through the ice, one can fly through the Earth from one point to the other.

This seems equally mind boggling. Is it just like a hollow tube to the other pole or hollow everywhere to a certain depth?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post

http://www.skepdic.com/hollowearth.html

The hollow Earth idea holds that Earth is not a solid sphere but is hollow and has openings at the poles. Furthermore, an advanced civilization, the Agartha, exists within Earth. Their people include advanced spiritual and technological masters who sometimes foray into the atmosphere in their UFOs.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Top 10 Ways to Know the Earth is Not Flat
http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astro...h-is-not-flat/

Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the Earth using the shadow of sticks. The method was performed almost two millenia ago, and produced quite accurate results (considering the ‘equipment’ used). But it was far from being the only (or first) method to understand our planet’s shape.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #26
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
What do you mean by God?

In any event, it is certainly possible to disprove many, many claims of religions with the same degree of certainty that we are able to prove that the earth is not flat. Why should we not be able to discuss these things the same way we discuss the flatness of the earth or the non-existence of moon burns?
A being which created the universe and mankind etc.
A belief in God (not religion specific) can't be proven to be wrong in the same way that it can be proven wrong the earth is flat. you can physically fly around the world, or sail, or go to space, etc and understand that it is round. If the earth were flat, it would be possible to prove that it is flat but it's not. you can't prove or disprove the existence of God, being as God is (in most religions) not physical but spiritual.
edit: I understand you would like to criticize the things that a religion believes, but as another poster mentioned, it will quickly pull this thread off topic. this thread is about the flat earth society, not religion.
so, back on topic
it's hilarious that people believe the earth is flat. that is all I have to say. the hollow earth thing is kinda cool, but also way out there

Last edited by calgaryrocks; 01-30-2012 at 01:56 PM.
calgaryrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #27
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Many years ago, in the first class of Physics 30, we watched a video about the flat earth society. They have explanations for all the "proofs that they are wrong" but it really is pretty funny.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #28
Knut

Exp:

Time to resurrect this thread seeing as though the Flat Earth Theory seems to have hit it more mainstream.

ShaQ (although not sure he is actually serious) and other NBA players made the news this year for believing in it.

http://mashable.com/2017/03/19/shaq-...h-explanation/

Here is a video of a guy confronting a NASA scientist at Starbucks and getting completely worked up over the fact he would not talk to him.

I now also have a few facebook "friends" that subscribe to the theory.

Mind-boggling.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #29
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Astronauts aren't trained how to swallow their saliva??!! IN SPACE??!!!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #30
Knut

Exp:

Didnt realize the thread title had nothing about flat earth in it. Wonder if it is too old to change.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #31
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still want hoodies and t-shirts...even 5 years after my original post in this thread.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Time to resurrect this thread seeing as though the Flat Earth Theory seems to have hit it more mainstream.

ShaQ (although not sure he is actually serious) and other NBA players made the news this year for believing in it.

http://mashable.com/2017/03/19/shaq-...h-explanation/

Here is a video of a guy confronting a NASA scientist at Starbucks and getting completely worked up over the fact he would not talk to him.

I now also have a few facebook "friends" that subscribe to the theory.

Mind-boggling.
Shaq doesn't believe that crap. He's just being Shaq and having fun.

Quote:
“The first part of the theory is, I’m joking, you idiots. That’s the first part of the theory. The second part is, I said jokingly that when I’m in my bus and I drive from Florida to California, which I do every summer, it seems to be flat. When I’m in my plane, and we’re getting ready to land, and I open up the window, and I’m looking at all the land that we’re flying over, it seems to be flat. But this world we live in people take things too seriously,” he said on the Art of Charm podcast.
Link
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #33
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

These people remind me of anti-vaxxers, completely discount proven scientific facts.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #34
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really very easy to disprove the whole flat earth nonsense theory to these tweebs. If the earth was flat, cats would have knocked everything off by now.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #35
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've noticed the uptick in flat earth type stuff in recommended videos or youtubers making fun of it.

What's behind the recent resurgence?

I totally get the selfish motivations behind beliefs against Global Warming (people want to be able to pollute as much as they want to their economic benefit), or vaccinations (irrational and ignorant fears of injections hurting children), but what benefit does believing in, and advocating in flat-earth theory accomplish?

I don't see how believing flat planet would benefit anyone in their thinking processes.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #36
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I don't see how believing flat planet would benefit anyone in their thinking processes.
Idiots use it to sound smart. I recently discovered a friend of mine is a "flat-earther", he claims to have "done the math". What with your grade 9 math you have determined the Earth is flat, GTFO?!

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #37
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious what's behind the recent popularity of this idea. I remember reading about it at least 12-15 years ago and got the feeling that the idea was almost dead.

If nothing else, I found it fun to read about. Very interesting to see how people twist reality into suiting their beliefs. If you approach the subject like it's a science fiction book, reading up on it is a pretty interesting way to kill an afternoon
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote