Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #101
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Question for the CP brain trust:

I am looking at buying my first road bike, and will be going to check one out that I found online. The bike is a Wilier Evasion Competition with a 56 cm aluminum frame, carbon fork/back stay, Campagnolo components and a carbon handlebar. Here's a pic:

So my question is, have any of you had any experience with the Wilier brand? From what I've read about the brand, it's a fairly well respected racing brand. This is obviously the entry level bike from them, but I still have no idea what it would have cost new. I emailed Bow Cycle and Kelowna Cycle since they are both official Wilier dealers but haven't heard back from either. I'd really like to know people's opinion of the brand, and what a person should be paying for their low end bikes on the used market. Thanks to anyone who can help me out!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #102
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're in Calgary why don't you just go down to Bow and check it out there for yourself.

While you're at it, sit on a couple of their bikes and get an idea of exactly what size you're looking for.

It's all good to save some money by buying a used bike on line, but if it doesn't fit and isn't comfortable, you won't ride it and the money will be wasted.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #103
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Bow Cycle has a sale going right now actually. Check their website to see what's going on.
Thanks, I bought a Scott Speedster S30 there last night. I checked out Pedalheads and some other bike store by King's Head on MacLeod and the Bow Cycle deal was the best. $999 on sale (regular price was $1350). It has some 105 components (rear derailer/sprocket-gear-changer thingy) and I really noticed a difference with how well it shifted compared to the next level down that I was test-riding in my price range at the other store.

As an aside, holy effing crap road bikes are fast. I pick the bike up today and can't wait to go for a long rip, but in just riding around the stores I couldn't believe how awesome they are compared to my mountain bike. I'm actually keeping my mountain bike for rain, rough terrain and pulling my kids' bike trailer, but the road bike is going to be what I think I'll have the most fun on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #104
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
If you're in Calgary why don't you just go down to Bow and check it out there for yourself.

While you're at it, sit on a couple of their bikes and get an idea of exactly what size you're looking for.

It's all good to save some money by buying a used bike on line, but if it doesn't fit and isn't comfortable, you won't ride it and the money will be wasted.
At this point, I'm less worried about fit than I am about feel and value. The 56 cm frame seems pretty perfect for me, being that I'm 5'10. I did the fit calculator for another Wilier bike from the top of this page, and confirmed the sizing.

If the bike feels right in person, I just want to make sure I'm getting good value for money, since it is used. Wilier bikes seem extremely difficult to pin down pricing on, especially entry level models from years past.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #105
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
At this point, I'm less worried about fit than I am about feel and value. The 56 cm frame seems pretty perfect for me, being that I'm 5'10. I did the fit calculator for another Wilier bike from the top of this page, and confirmed the sizing.

If the bike feels right in person, I just want to make sure I'm getting good value for money, since it is used. Wilier bikes seem extremely difficult to pin down pricing on, especially entry level models from years past.
What is he asking for it?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #106
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Question for the board:

I'm looking for novice trail routes. I can ride a road bike. I can ride a mountain bike on the road, or on a gravel road, or a slightly bumpy road. I've bombed around edworthy a bit, not up on the Cliffs on the north side of the river below varsity estates. I followed some dude one day on my commute home and he went through the old quarry and along the cliffs. That was a bit scary for me, especially alone. Is Nose Hill pretty novice? I'm in great shape, so while I'd like "novice" I would also like a half decent workout. I'm pretty sure I could go do 200k on my road bike on a random highway day and not cry about it. Actually that's not true - but I'm going to try this weekend hehehe.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #107
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
What is he asking for it?
The asking price was only $600, so it seems almost too good to be true. I heard back from a guy at Kelowna Cycle saying that if the components are in good shape, it's a great deal. Hopefully it works out.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #108
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Anyone who is interested. I was in Lifesport today, and they have some awesome deals on... everything from fixies to mountain bikes.

I really have my eye on this one for my winter bike:

Flip flop hub, no gears...just a plain and simple bike that will take cyclocross tires.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #109
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Question for the board:

I'm looking for novice trail routes. I can ride a road bike. I can ride a mountain bike on the road, or on a gravel road, or a slightly bumpy road. I've bombed around edworthy a bit, not up on the Cliffs on the north side of the river below varsity estates. I followed some dude one day on my commute home and he went through the old quarry and along the cliffs. That was a bit scary for me, especially alone. Is Nose Hill pretty novice? I'm in great shape, so while I'd like "novice" I would also like a half decent workout. I'm pretty sure I could go do 200k on my road bike on a random highway day and not cry about it. Actually that's not true - but I'm going to try this weekend hehehe.
Nose hill is a good place to start. It's pretty novice and if you get more comfortable you can take some of the single track that dips down in the trees. Nothing really tough in there.

If you like distance try elbow loop out past Bragg creek. It's 40km long. The only sketchy section is the downhill from the summit if you are going counter clockwise. If you go clockwise you have to climb it. It's not that bad, but if you're nervous of bowmount then you'd probably want to walk it. The rest is pretty easy. The views at the summit are awesome and worth the ride.

Also you can ride the Canmore Nordic centre. It's as tough as you want to make it. You could stick to the x-country ski trails to start. Also goat creek trail from Canmore to banff is easy. You start across from the base of Ha Ling and ride goat creek. You could always come back on rundle riverside, but it's quite a bit more technical, so to start maybe give goat creek a go.

Out at station flats (just past Allen Bill Pond) there is a trail called tom snow. That's a novice trail as well. You could try that as well.

Those would be the easiest off the top of my head if you have the fitness. Start there and work your way up. There is a lot out there. Also, you should go with someone if you do the longer trails, like Elbow Loop. Tom Snow is a busy trail, so you wouldn't have to worry if you had a mechanical of some sort. Someone will be along.

Last edited by bossy22; 08-05-2011 at 09:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #110
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Well, settled on this. Trek T1.

Decided I didn't wan't a hipster/emo fixie, so I figured I would get an actual track bike, not some old-timey, piece of garbage fashion statement. I live 10 blocks from the Glenmore Velodrome, so I am going to do the orientation, and give it a go. I have always wanted to do track cycling. Also this thing will make an awesome winter trainer as well. Super affordable too, only $900, and all the people I have talked to about this bike say it is an excellent frame to build up, when you start getting crank/wheel envy.

2 weeks for my bike to show up, can't wait.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #111
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Well, settled on this. Trek T1.

Decided I didn't wan't a hipster/emo fixie, so I figured I would get an actual track bike, not some old-timey, piece of garbage fashion statement. I live 10 blocks from the Glenmore Velodrome, so I am going to do the orientation, and give it a go. I have always wanted to do track cycling. Also this thing will make an awesome winter trainer as well. Super affordable too, only $900, and all the people I have talked to about this bike say it is an excellent frame to build up, when you start getting crank/wheel envy.

2 weeks for my bike to show up, can't wait.
That's an awesome looking bike - if it's a track bike it won't have a freewheel, will it? Or do some track bikes have a freewheel?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #112
blackgold
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
The asking price was only $600, so it seems almost too good to be true. I heard back from a guy at Kelowna Cycle saying that if the components are in good shape, it's a great deal. Hopefully it works out.
That's actually an amazing deal. I'm new to the road scene myself but my understanding is that Wilier makes a kickass bike.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #113
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
That's an awesome looking bike - if it's a track bike it won't have a freewheel, will it? Or do some track bikes have a freewheel?
They provide you with a flip flop hub, and a set of bar brake levers if you wanna go hipster with it, but it is a genuine track bike. Basically you have the choice of fixed drive or freewheel. I will likely ride it that (freewheel) way in the winter, but both shops I talked to said it is a genuine track bike, and most guys buy a track dedicated track wheel set for it, for velodrome use. You can tell the wheels on it are not true track wheels, as they are set up to accept brake pads. I already have a line on a sweet set of carbon wheels though. The bike however, is approved for velodrome use.

One thing that will set it apart, is the gearing is huge on it. Most street fixies run about a 44T up front, these are a 48T, so for street use, you would want a more forgiving crank as well.

Here is the Trek page for it:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/track/t1/t1/#

Last edited by pylon; 08-06-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #114
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
They provide you with a flip flop hub
Ah ha! I never understood why many of the singlespeeds I see downtown have cogs on both sides of the hub - now I know!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #115
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For those of you who cycle downtown on a regular basis, do any of you know what was up with the 4 or so bylaw officers pulling over cyclists in the construction area on Memorial Drive just before the 10th street bridge? They had 3 cyclists pulled over when I drove by this morning around 8:30.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #116
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

ticketing for people who weren't getting off their bikes to cross the road.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #117
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
ticketing for people who weren't getting off their bikes to cross the road.
They were ticketing people going Eastbound and were pulling them over in the parking lot next to that building they're working on, though. Maybe they were speeding haha.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #118
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is why I ride on the road for the most part. Who needs a speeding ticket on a bike path? 20km/h is ridiculous, unless you're talking about an extremely busy area like Eau Claire.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #119
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
this is why I ride on the road for the most part. Who needs a speeding ticket on a bike path? 20km/h is ridiculous, unless you're talking about an extremely busy area like Eau Claire.
I am pretty sure the guys that made the bike laws, have never in their life rode a bicycle that wasn't purchased at Canadian Tire. 20 k is f'n stupid. You cannot even get on the big ring on a road bike at that limit.

Now onto the cool part.... Just put down a deposit on My 2012 ride. 2012 58 cm Madone 5.9..... Ultegra Di2! Can. Not. Wait. The reviews Di2 was getting totally swayed me into it. I figured since I am going to commit at least three seasons to the bike, Di2 is the way to go, as I am thinking it will be the norm within a few years.

Quick question though. This is the first bike I have bought over 2 grand. Does anyone know, if you can buy crash insurance on these? I would hate to lay down a $5200 bike a few days after purchase.

edit: Also watch the buy and sell, I am going to be unloading a couple bikes pretty soon in there. With the new Madone, that brings me to 5 bikes. I just have to decide which 2 to get rid of.

Last edited by pylon; 09-22-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #120
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
edit: Also watch the buy and sell, I am going to be unloading a couple bikes pretty soon in there. With the new Madone, that brings me to 5 bikes. I just have to decide which 2 to get rid of.
Sweet ride. What size frame are your bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Closed Thread