Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #41
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
The holes are very small I would think way to small for a weasel I will snap some pics when I get home
Probably a wolf?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #42
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
I just discovered some rodent droppings in my garage. I suspect it's mice, but I did see what I thought was a vole scurry across my deck the other day. He was short and fat (size of a computer mouse).

I left a bag of grass seed in the garage over the winter and apparently mice love grass seeds, so that's where I found a majority of the droppings. I haven't checked inside the house yet, but the garage door is usually closed. What are the chances the mice will find itself inside my house?

I've set out a couple of snap traps near where I found the droppings. This morning, no mice yet.

I'm tempted to call an exterminator out to deal with the problem before it gets out of control. Has anyone gone this route, and would they recommend it? Is it completely hands off, ie do they move things around in the garage, find any holes and seal them up to keep the mice out of the garage? Or do they pretty much want me to clean up the garage and they just go in to kill the mice?
I don't think Voles like to be inside, so it's most likely mice.

I have some of those poison bait stations just to the sides of my garage door in the event that a rogue mouse found it's way in. Funny story, this winter I did find some mouse droppings around the garage but they were green so whatever mouse got into the garage is long dead. I didn't find any droppings in the house so I don't think he got in there. Attached garages are supposed to be pretty well sealed off from the house, so I really doubt any mouse will make it's way from your garage into your house unless they sneak through the people door.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #43
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #44
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Get a cat.

We had a couple mice in our place in the fall and the cat took em out in less than a day.

Of course you'll need to get some kind of gorilla that thrives on cat meat once the rodents are gone.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #45
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Get a cat.

We had a couple mice in our place in the fall and the cat took em out in less than a day.
This.

Both my neighbors have had rodent problems over the years but I have two beautiful siamese cats that just dare them to sneak under the fence.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #46
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I put a few mouse traps near some of their holes/trails and caught about 15 so far (in about a week) - I shudder to think how many must live in my yard.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #47
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How often are they hitting the traps? The melting snow revealed a lot of trails in my backyard this spring. I put out four traps in some of the wider trails and have yet to see some action. Could they be gone? Also how should I repair the trials? Worried about seed if they are just gonna eat it up.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #48
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

voles > cats
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #49
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
How often are they hitting the traps? The melting snow revealed a lot of trails in my backyard this spring. I put out four traps in some of the wider trails and have yet to see some action. Could they be gone? Also how should I repair the trials? Worried about seed if they are just gonna eat it up.
I found the traps that worked were either the "tunnel" type traps basically right at the entrance to their holes, or the V-shaped snapping traps placed where their trails were along the side of something solid like a building (perpendicular to the trail so they walk across it). Traps in the trails in the middle of the lawn they just went around, the bait doesn't really seem to draw them in.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #50
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 04-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #51
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I live at the edge of the city in the NW. We had a ton the first year of the new build/new grass, they have moved on a bit, but I catch them quite frequently.

I catch a few every time I set up a trap. I have had success with peanut butter and the basic snap traps. I also have have great success with the box type ones. (see link) I put a ton of Warfarin out and in the box traps as this is a slow death that I don't like doing.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ca...3615p.html#srp

One of my latest creations is a 18" long piece of 4" diameter pvc pipe with 3 or 4 snap traps lined up end to end inside all with bait, I call it the tunnel of death. This thing has like a 100% success rate. I put it along the wall of the house where there is activity. The kids think I have gone full caddy shack when I go out and reset everything and thinking up different ideas to out smart them.

They are pesky buggers and do a ton of damage to the lawn. Luckily I have kept them out of the house and garage which is my main goal. Although the entertainment value of watching my wife and 2 girls see a mouse/vole is always welcome.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #52
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As this thread has deviated into the topic of mice does anyone have advice keeping mice out of a house? Other than the obvious? I've filled visible holes but I think I have some under an attached deck to fill. It'd require removing boards on the deck and then going down there with a can of spray insulation, I suppose. They come in occasionally and my traps make short work of them but I'd rather keep them out.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #53
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I had trouble with mice in my garage a winter ago and we have trouble with them in some of our logger shacks out in the wild. One thing that has always worked are these:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/vi...3847p.html#srp

Since I put these up I have caught a few but I think they were just the stragglers, both in my garage and out at our huts. This winter I didn't see a single mouse on the traps nor a piece of mouse crap in my garage, it helps to keep things up off the floor as well obviously.

With our huts out in the bush it took a while but now on our bi weekly visits we don't see any mice on the traps. Before it was 3-4 a visit. I never thought something like this would work, but in my case it has.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #54
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I had trouble with mice in my garage a winter ago and we have trouble with them in some of our logger shacks out in the wild. One thing that has always worked are these:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/vi...3847p.html#srp

Since I put these up I have caught a few but I think they were just the stragglers, both in my garage and out at our huts. This winter I didn't see a single mouse on the traps nor a piece of mouse crap in my garage, it helps to keep things up off the floor as well obviously.

With our huts out in the bush it took a while but now on our bi weekly visits we don't see any mice on the traps. Before it was 3-4 a visit. I never thought something like this would work, but in my case it has.
Those worked for you? I heard they were ineffective. Maybe I'll give them a try.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #55
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For voles, I have tried different traps and poisons but the most effective has been the 'The Giant Destroyer' rodent control gas sticks available from RONA:

"Sticks for rodent control "Giant Destroyer" in packs of 4. This product has been used successfully for many years to control rodents such as moles, marmots, rats, skunks and squirrels. The Giant Destroyer does not harm lawns, plants or trees and easily penetrates to the bottom of tunnels and burrows."

https://www.rona.ca/en/rodent-contro...k-of-4-5067001

You basically find a good sized hole at an obvious entrance/exit for the critters, light the fuse, shove the stick in the hole and once burning, cover the hole. Quick and very effective. You'll know if you didn't get them all if the 'hole' re-appears nearby in a few days.
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blankcanvas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #56
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default How to get rid of Voles

Old fashioned snap traps and peanut butter. And get rid of the food source. I tested a lot of different and more complicated ways and this always works best.

Just be careful if you have a dog. Seriously. That would not be pretty.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #57
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So I saw the rodent yesterday when I got home from work. I pulled into the garage and was looking at the snap traps to see if it caught anything. Then I saw the culprit scurry along the wall, exit the garage, and jump into a hole in my lawn. I looked around my lawn and I can see slight signs of vole paths/tracks. It's hard to tell if there were tracks because there's a lot of dead grass still.

The rodent was about 3-4 inches long, dark grey, probably 1.5-2 inches in diameter.

Does this sound like a mouse or a vole?
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #58
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
So I saw the rodent yesterday when I got home from work. I pulled into the garage and was looking at the snap traps to see if it caught anything. Then I saw the culprit scurry along the wall, exit the garage, and jump into a hole in my lawn. I looked around my lawn and I can see slight signs of vole paths/tracks. It's hard to tell if there were tracks because there's a lot of dead grass still.

The rodent was about 3-4 inches long, dark grey, probably 1.5-2 inches in diameter.

Does this sound like a mouse or a vole?
How long was the tail? If it was short it's a vole, long it's a mouse.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #59
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Got Cal-Rid to come and bait/poison some of the vole holes at my place yesterday. So far, one dead vole found in my yard. I'll take it.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #60
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Got Cal-Rid to come and bait/poison some of the vole holes at my place yesterday. So far, one dead vole found in my yard. I'll take it.
My kitten grabbed 2 on her first day out, and she was on a leash. I think they were the only 2 in the yard, as she hasn't had any more success.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
voles posion kill good