Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #41
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unless someone can fit on the top line with Gaudreau and Monahan why bother.

We have plenty of bottom 6 guys.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #42
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Is anybody on that list better than Lazar?
I would imagine that if we didn't already get him, he would be tops on the list. It could still go either way with him, but once he got into the line-up, I thought he looked pretty good.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #43
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I would imagine that if we didn't already get him, he would be tops on the list. It could still go either way with him, but once he got into the line-up, I thought he looked pretty good.
Could easily pull a Niederreiter. Guy had Mono. Shouldn't expect him to be effective after that.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #44
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Could easily pull a Niederreiter. Guy had Mono. Shouldn't expect him to be effective after that.
Sure... but he wasn't effective before that either.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #45
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'd be pretty ok with the Flames just skipping reclamation projects for a while.
Yeah I agree and don't think the team is in dumpster diving mode this summer. If they can somehow convince Vegas to take Brouwer they have cap space to make another move. Even subtracting Brouwer they do not need to make a move and have the bodies to fill the roster.

Yak is the guy on the list that intrigues me the most because he is only 23, a RW, and his draft pedigree. He likely costs nothing to acquire so would be found money. The ultimate result would be if he panned out it would be fun to rip on Oilers fans
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #46
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Bennett weren't made of glass I'd take him for top 6 winger all day. He's high skill and pens were expecting big things before he broke everything.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #47
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yakupov I do find very interesting. There's no question he has a ton of skill, but there are question marks for sure. Honestly, I don't know what is holding him back from putting it all together. I thought he'd be a great story to shove at the Grease when he was traded but that certainly didn't happen.

However, the potential is having a very talented piece to add to the core. The problem is, it's 1st line or bust:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Yakupov
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Bennett - Versteeg
Ferland - Jankowski - Hathaway

EX: Chaisson

Is how I could see this roster shape up. Of course, it won't work out this way without some massaging. Stajan, Bouma and Brouwer are on the books, but this would be the ideal roster with the pieces we have IMO. I hope they don't mess with the 3M line, and I don't think Yakupov is worth having around on the 3rd or 4th line. We're pretty stocked up down there.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #48
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lazar is fine, he plays full motor and can be a valuable asset in the bottom 6. The Flames absolutely need to cut bait with Chiasson, he is not an NHL calibre player.
Chiasson has shown more in the NHL than Lazar has.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #49
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Reclamation projects do not start on your top line - its somewhat ironic that folks accuse Edm of throwing Yakupov into the fire and then speculate about him being acquired to join our first line What? How is that not putting him exactly where he will fail again? Just say no to Yakupov
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #50
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Reclamation projects do not start on your top line - its somewhat ironic that folks accuse Edm of throwing Yakupov into the fire and then speculate about him being acquired to join our first line What? How is that not putting him exactly where he will fail again? Just say no to Yakupov
I don't think anyone has claimed Yakupov should be on our first line, just that if you pick him up... it's for that and that only.

We have a glut of 3rd - 4th liners, and an untouchable 2nd (1st?) line. You also don't want Yakupov on your 3rd - 4th line, even if we had a need there. There also is an opening for RW on Johnny and Mony's line. It's that, or don't acquire him at all. He's a good potential fit there, or nowhere at all.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:42 PM   #51
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Strome would be the best reclamation project IMO.
Would not be surprised to see him traded soon.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 12:44 AM   #52
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Ryan Strome would be the best reclamation project IMO.
Would not be surprised to see him traded soon.
He can play RW too....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:33 AM   #53
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hate how slow and weak Strome is, don't want him unless he's coming at a discount (ie: 3rd round pick)
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:39 AM   #54
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Chiasson has shown more in the NHL than Lazar has.
Gee, I should hope so given the amount of games each has played. Hey, he has shown more than Kyle Connor too.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #55
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Ryan Strome (23)
- Beau Bennett (25)

That's all that would interest me.

Olesiak and Girgensons to a lesser degree.

Last edited by CalgaryFan1988; 05-30-2017 at 06:31 AM.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Unless someone can fit on the top line with Gaudreau and Monahan why bother.

We have plenty of bottom 6 guys.
I agree with this. You can argue that if the Flames are good at one thing it's developing bottom six forwards as the organization is overflowing with interchangeable depth forwards. Unless he projects as a top 6 talent these reclamations guys have nothing to offer that the team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #57
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lazar is fine, he plays full motor and can be a valuable asset in the bottom 6. The Flames absolutely need to cut bait with Chiasson, he is not an NHL calibre player.
Lazar has never been a valuable asset in any role in the NHL. How can you say Lazar is fine and then say Chiasson isn't an NHL player?

Chiasson is an NHL player, literally, while Lazar has been healthy scratched almost his entire career. And there is a reason for that, Lazar is a low IQ player with a motor that works hard, but wrong most of the time. Chiasson is a much better bottom 6 player and it isn't even close.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #58
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Lazar has never been a valuable asset in any role in the NHL. How can you say Lazar is fine and then say Chiasson isn't an NHL player?

Chiasson is an NHL player, literally, while Lazar has been healthy scratched almost his entire career. And there is a reason for that, Lazar is a low IQ player with a motor that works hard, but wrong most of the time. Chiasson is a much better bottom 6 player and it isn't even close.
Nah, it's actually pretty close. Lazar will probably end up being a better version of Chiasson once he figures out how to play in the NHL. There were signs of him figuring out at the end of last year, and I expect you will see him become a regular in the lineup this year in the bottom 6. That's about what we expect from Chiasson too.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #59
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People need to stop looking at Lazar's stats from last season and writing him off. Mono does not allow an athlete to perform anywhere near their normal capacity, this has already been discussed at length. He was trending upwards on a generally brutal Ottawa team while playing a checking role. I see him becoming useful utility player similar to ferland and already has a similar amount of experience while being younger.

Yes he's a bit of a reclamation project but he's far from not being an NHL player and could be a steal. This game isnt about having 12 guys who score 40 points minimum. I can see him getting 30 points next year while moving up and down the lineup. The only likely way he looks bad is if he gets buried on the 4th line or pressbox. Solid young player who had a very unlucky year
Old 05-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #60
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wrong thread but I don't care. I want to see 3 balanced lines next year and Lazar mentored by Backlund.

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Lazar-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Monahan-Versteeg

I wish any opposing coach luck trying to match lines with that.