Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #121
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
That is strange that the NBA would take a full week off. The Warriors will have ten days off since they eliminated the Spurs.
The NBA Finals are scheduled well before the Conference Finals even begin (possibly even before the playoffs start). There's only such a long break because the Cavs and Warriors took care of things so quickly.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #122
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah the NBA finals are more about Jimmy Kimmel and the ratings bump with the celebrity appearances scheduled long, long ago.

Wouldn't work if they just up and changed the dates.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #123
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Go Preds Go! Super stoked about this series! Would love to see PK hoist the cup for the Nashville fans!
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #125
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm blaming this one on that absurd video review of the first goal. Completely sewered the Preds on an idiotic call, and review concept. They absolutely need to change that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #126
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm blaming this one on that absurd video review of the first goal. Completely sewered the Preds on an idiotic call, and review concept. They absolutely need to change that.
I don't see how it was definitive enough to overturn a goal on the ice. Preds and their fans must be pissed.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 AM   #127
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to the officials for becoming the focal point of the game and likely cause of millions of North Americans to tune out the game after the first period. Any good will the NHL had with the recent talks of how NHL playoffs were better than the NBA were thrown out the window after that ghastly first period. Nothing like making your league look 2nd tier on it's biggest stage. I'm sure there were millions of Americans still today trying to figure out why that first goal was disallowed and why one team can get two penalties on the same play to be down two men and the other team commit an infraction while up by two men and have the officials look the other way essentially ending the game before the first intermission. Well done NHL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #128
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, given one of those bullcrap offside reviews has now directly altered a Stanley Cup Finals game, hopefully the league will smarten the hell up and fix their mess. Letting Crosby get away with blatant interference right after, directly leading to a goal is just embarrassing for the NHL. This is their showcase, and their officials flubbed it. Badly.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #129
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Well, given one of those bullcrap offside reviews has now directly altered a Stanley Cup Finals game, hopefully the league will smarten the hell up and fix their mess. Letting Crosby get away with blatant interference right after, directly leading to a goal is just embarrassing for the NHL. This is their showcase, and their officials flubbed it. Badly.
What's really concerning is that the crew working the finals is supposed to be the best the NHL has to offer and they were bad last night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #130
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The conversation among fans about whether officials' calls are better explained by bias or incompetence is one I'm sure the league wishes were not happening. I'm not hopeful the NHL does anything to fix the mess.

Last edited by Rick M.; 05-30-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #131
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Bullcrap offside reviews? Letting golden boy players get away with blatant penalties? Sounds like they're showcasing it just fine.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #132
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I may have missed it but what the hell does PST stand for? Pre Stanley Thread? Playoff Series Thread? You kids today and your prefixes. In my day it was the SCF and we liked it!
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #133
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I may have missed it but what the hell does PST stand for? Pre Stanley Thread? Playoff Series Thread? You kids today and your prefixes. In my day it was the SCF and we liked it!
Playoff Series Thread
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #134
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I don't see how it was definitive enough to overturn a goal on the ice. Preds and their fans must be pissed.
There is zero chance that the call was questionable. One skate on the blue line. He was onside. It's not even debateable. They showed the replay like 100 times after the game because the media was in awe of the call too. Even the most ardent NHL officiating apologist in Friedman said he didn't like the call. That's because it was so ####ing obviously the wrong call.
Mr.Coffee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #135
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Bullcrap offside reviews? Letting golden boy players get away with blatant penalties? Sounds like they're showcasing it just fine.
I've never been anti-Crosby but it's getting tiring seeing him get special treatment by the officials and the league. He's a great player and I understand the league trying to showcase your star players but if the rules don't apply to these players you may as well be the WWE.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #136
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wow, he wasnt pulling any punches, John Scott on PK Subban:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/13...ece-of-garbage

I didnt see that coming.

I initially really didnt like PK, I thought he was an arrogant showboater but I think for the most part that was just the hallmark of a young player finding his way in the league and in the meantime hes largely won me over, I'm a big fan of PK, his style wouldnt be my preferred style, but hey, to each their own.

I wonder if Scott's beef with PK has more to do with a lifelong, lowly-paid grinder being somewhat upset at a young star? Interesting either way.
Apparently, that bit from Jon Scott was from a long time ago, before he met PK.

Quote:
“I didn’t know what was going on,” Scott told TSN 690, as transcribed by the Montreal Gazette. “I just tried to figure out what’s going on and I find out it’s because of this ESPN piece I did a long time ago and they’re running it yesterday. I didn’t even see it really. So I’m just trying to put some fires out and tell everyone like: yeah, I said that a long time ago.

“I honestly hated everyone I played against, so it’s not anything personal against P.K.,” said Scott. “I hadn’t met him at that time and now that I’ve met him I actually like the guy. He’s a good guy off the ice. But on the ice I don’t like him and that’s just all there is to it. I’m not going to back down from that comment. I didn’t like playing against him, I didn’t like some of the antics he did. You’re allowed to not like people. It’s not always rainbows and butterflies. So everyone I hope please stop mean tweeting me.”

Scott added he believes Subban is a "world class talent" and is "one of the best defenceman in the league." However he said Subban's personality on the ice can rub opponents the wrong way.

"As an opposing player, sometimes when you're losing 5-1 to that team and he's still whooping it up and doing his high-fives, and doing all these celebrations, it gets under your skin and that's going to happen, especially when he's such a talented player," Scott said.

http://www.tsn.ca/scott-subban-comme...dated-1.765077
Also... nothing but class:

Quote:
P.K. Subban
@johnscott_32 I liked meeting U too bud! hope the kids are doing well! ignore the tweets! I never took it personal, neither should anyone!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #137
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing Pens win after getting it handed to them for basically the entire game is upsetting. That review call was a joke, and if your team is held without a shot for 30+ minutes including a PP, you probably deserve to lose.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #138
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Apparently, that bit from Jon Scott was from a long time ago, before he met PK.

Also... nothing but class:
Good for Subban.

I have to say, this response from Scott does nothing to endear me to him. This is the same sort of garbage that Subban has endured for a long time now. To me, it might sound a little less hollow if Scott was capable of doing more on the ice than hopelessly chase players like Subban around whilst looking completely outclassed in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #139
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big fan of PK, but it's easy to see where Scott's coming from particularly given the culture of hockey that essentially says "don't showboat". You would never see a guy like Yzerman celebrating a goal in a blowout, and that's the kind of thing people are brought up to emulate. So while I want more personality in the game and think PK's great for it, I also don't begrudge Scott his views. He came by them honestly.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #140
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm a big fan of PK, but it's easy to see where Scott's coming from particularly given the culture of hockey that essentially says "don't showboat". You would never see a guy like Yzerman celebrating a goal in a blowout, and that's the kind of thing people are brought up to emulate. So while I want more personality in the game and think PK's great for it, I also don't begrudge Scott his views. He came by them honestly.

Like I said, I would perhaps have an ounce more respect for Scott's opinion if it came from someone even a little more relevant. Rightly or wrongly, a former minor league and NHL journeyman complaining about a star player's "antics" comes across as bitter and petty. Yes, he is merely reflecting an antiquarian hockey culture, but then again by the same token he probably should have politely declined to opine and concede that Subban is a great player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: