Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #1321
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh I tamped my parking pad with my vehicles. Had a load of 3/4 crush delivered. Raked it out to the approximate grade I was looking for and then drove back and for a bunch of times. Fast forward a few years and it looks totally fine. Far better than the muddy mess that was there before!
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #1322
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

What about Rundle stone? I've made a couple paths with the 10mm stuff, and it packs down really well, especially after some rain. I can move my lawn mover over it no problem.

I know they have bigger sizes as well, my in-laws used some for a driveway at their cabin, also with really good results.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #1323
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of timely help with this crazy storm. So, I have two windows that have very small puddles on the frame. Obviously, any leaky window is not good, but I'm wondering if with the severity of this storm it is just a one time problem? The house is about twenty years old and we've never had any leaking issues before in the two years we've lived here. We have had some window condensation issues in the winter, but only during crazy weather changes. The house is a bungalow and the one window is on the main floor and the leak was very minor. The other window is in the basement and the amount of water was a bit more and the wall was a bit wet as well. Both windows are within a few meters of each other but are not directly on top of one another.

Thoughts? Something I should just keep an eye on? Get somewhat out right away to check it out?
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #1324
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of timely help with this crazy storm. So, I have two windows that have very small puddles on the frame. Obviously, any leaky window is not good, but I'm wondering if with the severity of this storm it is just a one time problem? The house is about twenty years old and we've never had any leaking issues before in the two years we've lived here. We have had some window condensation issues in the winter, but only during crazy weather changes. The house is a bungalow and the one window is on the main floor and the leak was very minor. The other window is in the basement and the amount of water was a bit more and the wall was a bit wet as well. Both windows are within a few meters of each other but are not directly on top of one another.

Thoughts? Something I should just keep an eye on? Get somewhat out right away to check it out?
Would be good to see a picture. Also, if you shine a flashlight you will be able to count the number of reflections to tell if you if it's triple pane, double pane or single pane.

If the seal is broken or compromised or submerged in water on the outside a quick fix is to caulk where you think the leak is with silicone.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #1325
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait for a dry day, have someone hose it down while you're inside to see where the leak is coming in. Are the windows operable or fixed?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #1326
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Windows are fixed and I believe they are double pane.

I'lol work on getting a picture.

After I cleaned up the water, I periodically checked the windows in the evening and there hasn't been a drop of water since despite the wind and rain keeping up for a couple more hours.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #1327
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

woke up to some water in my basement.

Annoying, but probably no lasting damage. concrete floors FTW! Might have to re-carpet the bedroom, but it's fairly small, so I'm hoping I can dry it out with a big fan.

I think the sump pump float got held down by debris in its outdoor sump hole. I might be investing in one with a better float that is less likely to not work when it is supposed to.

I've finished my garage shelves too. I think I'll post a pic soon so the experts on here can tell me I suck and my house will fall down (or maybe that only happens on /r/DIY)
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #1328
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

TV renovation contractor pleads guilty to 22 charges, faces jail time

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...aces-jail-time
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #1329
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone poured a concrete patio slab lately? What sort of /ft2 costs would I be looking at?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #1330
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm house shopping and found one that needs updating but the tiny , cramped kitchen is my main concern. I have no home-renovation knowledge and wanted to know if it's conceivable to rip out the kitchen wall and expand the kitchen into the dining/living room area for an open concept/great room kind of thing. Maybe knock out the wall at the top of the stairs too?

Even then, what would something like that roughly cost to have done?

Spoiler!
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:28 PM   #1331
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Anyone poured a concrete patio slab lately? What sort of /ft2 costs would I be looking at?
believe about $10-$15/sqft. foothills concrete construction is a good company.
http://www.foothillsconcrete.com/
Old 05-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #1332
jeffh
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I'm house shopping and found one that needs updating but the tiny , cramped kitchen is my main concern. I have no home-renovation knowledge and wanted to know if it's conceivable to rip out the kitchen wall and expand the kitchen into the dining/living room area for an open concept/great room kind of thing. Maybe knock out the wall at the top of the stairs too?

Even then, what would something like that roughly cost to have done?

Spoiler!
I'm not sure on cost. But what I'd suggest doing is moving the fridge to where the rear man-door is. Replacing the big window beside the rear man-door with a sliding door. Remove the wall where the old fridge backs into. Maintain general shape of kitchen, yet have the section where the fridge was, pushed to align with the dining room window(edit re-looking at the pics, I don't know how well that'd work with the tall narrow window). Full kitchen gut and replace to full height cabinets and new countertops, while maintaining locarions of dw, sink and stove/hood. I don't think that wall is weight bearing. Also, I'd enlarge the 'kitchen closet' into some sorta neo-angle food pantry, with a regular door.

Last edited by jeffh; 05-28-2017 at 12:25 AM.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 05:18 AM   #1333
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post

Even then, what would something like that roughly cost]
Typically no you can't remove that kitchen wall in a two story house. It's holding up the second floor and will be full of utility runs. Of course anything is possible and for the right price you can make it happen. But you will have to involve engineers, every trade in the book. And you will be structuring it from the dirt below your basement floor to the roof of the house.

It sure could use that type of reno though. But you be 150k into it minimum.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #1334
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Typically no you can't remove that kitchen wall in a two story house.
Looks like a bungalow to me. That said, it all depends on whether or not that wall is load bearing. There is a beam across the entrance from the kitchen to dining room so that leads me to believe it's load bearing. However, the span from that kitchen wall to the front wall is pretty long so who knows. If it's not load bearing removing a wall is pretty simple. It looks like you just have a baseboard heater there so you won't need to worry about HVAC or any plumbing.
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #1335
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't see much from the pictures on my phone...kind of just a bunch of taupe walls. So you're probably right. I thought for sure it was a two story though. Or a split.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #1336
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's obviously a bi-level. Date of construction would help, but that wall is not likely supporting anything. There's also unlikely to be any major mechanical in that wall with nothing above it. Probably clear span roof trusses on anything 1960's or later.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #1337
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Easy thing to check is to go to the floor under that main floor and see what is directly under that wall between the kitchen and the dining/living room.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #1338
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Easy thing to check is to go to the floor under that main floor and see what is directly under that wall between the kitchen and the dining/living room.
I disagree. The span of the main floor joists that length will always have a mid span beam. If there was a second floor that might be telling but roof trusses could clear span.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:11 PM   #1339
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

That looks a lot like my house which is a 2 storey. That kitchen/Dining room house in mine is load bearing. We put in larger upper cabinets and extended the cabinets on the exterior wall about 6 inches. It did make a big difference in cupboard space. But it's still a small kitchen where 2 people max can work.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #1340
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my garburator buzzes when I turn it on. I have checked inside, and I didn't feel anything that shouldn't be there. I have tried turning from below using a hex key. I've hit the reset button. Anything else to try, or is old yeller ready to be taken out back?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote