Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #21
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
That's too bad. Her injuries are also significant. Spent weeks in the hospital. Sounds like the MVAC are low ballers then! Did your wife even get to or near the 200K cap?
No, didn't get to the 200K cap. She got about 60K, probably would have been more like 100K with insurance involved.

It was also a bit of a frustrating process since with the at fault driver a no-show you're basically up against the province in court. They basically start with positions like "it must've really been your fault. If it wasn't, then you probably weren't wearing your seatbelt. If you were then the injuries probably aren't as bad as the doctors say." Then you have to defend everything. Maybe it's the same with insurance too, haven't gone through that myself.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
No, didn't get to the 200K cap. She got about 60K, probably would have been more like 100K with insurance involved.

It was also a bit of a frustrating process since with the at fault driver a no-show you're basically up against the province in court. They basically start with positions like "it must've really been your fault. If it wasn't, then you probably weren't wearing your seatbelt. If you were then the injuries probably aren't as bad as the doctors say." Then you have to defend everything. Maybe it's the same with insurance too, haven't gone through that myself.
That's the role of the defence in any litigation. Insurers treat the claim in the same manner. It's not a witch hunt or anything of the sort, but the onus is on the Plaintiff to prove their case/damages.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #23
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post

When you say no show what doe tha mean? That does sound frustrating indeed.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #24
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It's a charity, what would you expect?
I don't get it?? You don't think injured people who play by the rules should get a fair payout?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #25
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
I don't get it?? You don't think injured people who play by the rules should get a fair payout?
Its still a charity, stuff happens in life, this happens in most of the world you're on your own, its frankly really nice that Alberta puts aside some money out of the goodness of its whatever to help out those who aren't covered by anything else.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #26
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Its still a charity, stuff happens in life, this happens in most of the world you're on your own, its frankly really nice that Alberta puts aside some money out of the goodness of its whatever to help out those who aren't covered by anything else.
Fair enough, It is better then zero. I'm sure you wouldn't be singing this tune if it was you in the position. Quality of life down the ####ter.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #27
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dealing with the Fund is much like dealing with an insurer, except that things move much slower, it being a government agency and all... They also tend to pay less on the whole. Just have to be very patient.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 AM   #28
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Can you find out more information on this? Was this in Alberta? Due to a mistake by my broker, I wasn't covered and I was a victim of a hit and run. My understanding was there was no recourse. be nice if I could get a payout...
Broker should have had errors and omissions coverage.....
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #29
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Dealing with the Fund is much like dealing with an insurer, except that things move much slower, it being a government agency and all... They also tend to pay less on the whole. Just have to be very patient.
Was hoping you'd drop into one of my threads! Thanks Vlad. Hopefully when you say much slower it's not years and years but I guess each case is different
Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #30
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
Broker should have had errors and omissions coverage.....
I was quoted an incorrect price for "full coverage", I decided to opt out of "full coverage" for that reason. I should have done my own due diligence and got another quote but I trusted the quote as I had a serious infraction on my record.

The car was worth maybe $8000 I was quoted something like $6000/ year for full coverage, I don't recall the exact number. Turns out it was considerably less when I went insure a new vehicle and found out my previous quote was incorrect.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote