Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #61
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Running a 3000m race today. Hoping to get my time under 11 minutes.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #62
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Maybe it's just my crappy lungs, but does anybody else ever find it hard to get in a deep satisfying breathe when they are running? It seems like for every 30 or so breaths, only one will feel like it really, went in deeply. Does that make sense at all?

I have never smoked by the way. I feel like it's kind of interfering with my running when I feel like I am not getting in some really good breaths.
That likely means that you're running too fast for your (current) level of run fitness and is incredibly common for new runners!

It can be hard to "Run Slow", but if you keep your pace to 70-75% of your max effort, you'll be able to run longer and more comfortably, which in turn will build your run fitness WAY faster and safer. Rule of thumb....if you're out for a casual run, you should be able to carry on a conversation fairly easily.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #63
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ran in the 5K family run at the Calgary Marathon with my daughter and we had a blast. Anyone who hasn't been to one of these events should give it a try. The energy and enthusiasm are genuinely inspiring.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #64
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Running a 3000m race today. Hoping to get my time under 11 minutes.
you're able to maintain a better than 3:40 pace? the thought of that hurts my old lungs, I don't think I could do that for more than maybe 1.2k. your name should be changed to TheCheetah.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #65
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Ran in the 5K family run at the Calgary Marathon with my daughter and we had a blast. Anyone who hasn't been to one of these events should give it a try. The energy and enthusiasm are genuinely inspiring.
And the traffic jams around the river were delightful.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #66
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My wife did the solo 150KM Ultra yesterday. She was one of only 17 finishers and was 4th of 6 female finishers. Her time was a little over 19 hours. I'm super proud of her!

I didn't have the heart to tell her that I learned on CP that running a 5K was the same level of accomplishment.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #67
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
My wife did the solo 150KM Ultra yesterday. She was one of only 17 finishers and was 4th of 6 female finishers. Her time was a little over 19 hours. I'm super proud of her!

I didn't have the heart to tell her that I learned on CP that running a 5K was the same level of accomplishment.
That's incredible. What time did she start at on Saturday night? I still can't wrap my head around how someone can push their body to run for 19 hours.........

Remarkable achievement.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #68
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
That's incredible. What time did she start at on Saturday night? I still can't wrap my head around how someone can push their body to run for 19 hours.........

Remarkable achievement.
She started at 6PM Saturday night. I have trouble wrapping my head around it too, and I witnessed a lot of it. Or at least I saw her every few hours at various crew points around the city to provide her with resupply.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #69
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
And the traffic jams around the river were delightful.
As someone who posts so much stuff about events and civic pride - I'm surprised to see a comment like this from you.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #70
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
haha, do it. then tell us what your room number at the hospital is so that we can all come visit.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #71
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
haha, do it. then tell us what your room number at the hospital is so that we can all come visit.
If I tell her today, I can probably get away, as her feet are pretty beat up and she's moving pretty slow!
Old 05-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #72
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As someone who posts so much stuff about events and civic pride - I'm surprised to see a comment like this from you.

Sean Chu probably hacked his account.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #73
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
It was a cluster####, but I believe the minor inconvenience is worth it to have events like this.

There has to be room for improvement - people got stuck in long traffic jams with no warning, or a way out.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #74
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I haven't run too much lately but got in a 10k trail run this weekend. It was awesome but apparently that trail hadn't seen much traffic lately because I kept getting spider webs in the face...
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #75
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It was a cluster####, but I believe the minor inconvenience is worth it to have events like this.

There has to be room for improvement - people got stuck in long traffic jams with no warning, or a way out.
The start of the 10k race yesterday was delayed by about 15 minutes. Another runner nearby asked one of the starters as we ran through the start gate what the holdup was. The starter replied that the police/organizers forgot to close 9th ave.

I would imagine the hasty closure of one of the main roads downtown led to some unintended jams. Also supports your thought of there being room for improvement.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #76
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think no matter how much info gets sent out there (online, social media, electronic signs up ahead of time warning, media reporting on it) there is always going to be a large chunk of people that just don't know. Add to that the staggering amount of lane closures and reductions associated with the marathon and by the time someone hits it it's too late to get out.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #77
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Calgary Marathon road closures cause siblings to miss grandfather's funeral

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...athers-funeral

“I would have never guessed we would be 100 per cent stopped for over an hour and 15 minutes.”

But, Chris McGeachy, a spokesman with the city’s roads department, said between social media, message boards, info on the city’s website and traditional media channels, the city did plenty of communication warning motorists about the marathon-related road closures.

I think more detour signs on the street leading up to bottle-neck areas would have been useful.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #78
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at that video, they never should have allowed traffic past 10th ave. Close it before the underpass, then drivers can at least turn left or right. Not rocket science here. I'm going to go ahead and blame the roads dept.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #79
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think more detour signs on the street leading up to bottle-neck areas would have been useful.
It does seem that these days the city relies more on social media to get road closure information out than good old-fashioned signage. Hopefully they learn that the one isn't a substitute for the other.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #80
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Looking at that video, they never should have allowed traffic past 10th ave. Close it before the underpass, then drivers can at least turn left or right. Not rocket science here. I'm going to go ahead and blame the roads dept.
And police should have worked to turn people at the 9th ave blockade back to 10th and out of the traffic jam.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote