Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #41
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We really need to start moving our own assets through the process.
I have been saying this as well. Time to sink or swim. Same goes for many of the former 1st rounders we have in the AHL.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #42
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Define a proven backup though
Petr Budaj?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #43
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Petr Budaj?
Is he really a better option then 2 young guys ? No one knows for sure. But to me we need to find out.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #44
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Define a proven backup though
Somebody who's been able to play ~30 games a season in the NHL while putting up near league average performances but hasn't shown the ability to win/dominate games either consistently or at all.

ie Bernier, Johnson, McElhinney, Enroth. Maybe Kuemper and Anders Nilsson as current UFAs for this offseason.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #45
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Somebody who's been able to play ~30 games a season in the NHL while putting up near league average performances but hasn't shown the ability to win/dominate games either consistently or at all.

ie Bernier, Johnson, McElhinney, Enroth. Maybe Kuemper and Anders Nilsson as current UFAs for this offseason.
The only guy I would even consider is Bernier if it was me
Old 06-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #46
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Petr Budaj?
Didn't he already re-sign in Tampa?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #47
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wouldn't mind having Smith/Bernier
Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #48
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
At some point you have to let the young guys take the reins. I get we are in the compete now mode. Smith is injury prone. So what we should over pay a career backup or try and sign Elliott ?? Its time to develop a young guy. Gillies playing in the NHL would help him understand how to be a pro. And practice like a pro. Rittich too, its time. I do not think this attitude of keep goalies developing in AHL is smart. Yes there are some examples, but many like Al Montoya and Jack Campbell did not do well with that. You either make it or you dont. Let someone step up.

A young goalie that we hope will be a starter some day isn't going to be developed by not playing.

Treliving has spoken about this topic at length.

It makes zero sense to have Gillies sitting on the bench. He needs to play.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #49
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
From what perspective? From Gillies' perspective he really needs to play games after missing almost the entire season 2 years ago. Rittich may be ready but wouldn't be hurt playing more in the minors. From a depth perspective it makes little to no sense to be one injury away from a tandem who has 1.3 games of NHL experience to their credit.

Seems like its impatient fan sentiment more than anything pushing for these kids to make the NHL. Not convinced Treliving thinks its time based on his interviews. I think he'll want proper depth in case of injuries and not roll the dice that Smith will never get injured.
If Rittich and Gillies both stay in the AHL all season then will it not be exactly the same situation next season with them having hardly any NHL experience? The only way for goalie prospects to get time in the NHL is to actually play them.

I get what everyone is saying about Gillies, given that he was injured his first pro season and that the experience of being an AHL starter again will be valuable.

I am less convinced about Rittich. He played 2 seasons for Mldada Boleslav BK in the Czech Extraliga, then a season in the AHL where he was one of the top netminders in the league. He'll be 25 by the time the season starts.

Which quality NHL back up is going to want to sign a one year contract for the Flames? Do you sign a good one for two years and potentially waste Rittich as a prospect who never gets an opportunity? I'd also rather have Gillies play this season as the clear number 1 goalie for the Heat, which I think would be hard to justify given that Rittich outperformed him in both the regular season and playoffs.
Savvy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #50
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for him. Signing here wouldn't have worked out for him I don't think.

Smith is the starter -- and Rittich, Gillies and Parson's will be vying for that backup spot anyways (I hope)
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #51
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
At some point you have to let the young guys take the reins.
Agreed. Next season when Gillies and Rittich are more developed seems to be the perfect time.

Quote:
Its time to develop a young guy.
They are developing, in the minors. Likely the best place to develop.

Quote:
Gillies playing in the NHL would help him understand how to be a pro. And practice like a pro.
You know what will help Gillies develop more than practicing and sitting on the bench? Playing games! in the minors.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #52
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bye Ochocinco.

I wouldn't mind Condon
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #53
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
If Chad signs again in Buffalo - would it be crazy for the Flames to look at Anders Nilsson? His cap hit would be low and his save % last year (on a not great Sabres team) was .923.
It looks like the save % of goalies in Buffalo are inflated based on the style they play, but I wouldn't be against Nilsson coming to the Flames on a one year deal.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #54
DallasFlamesFan
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
W
What about a Bouma for Lack trade? Similar money both have a 1 year deal left
I actually really like this idea. Not the greatest goalie, but has some ties to Gully and would be a serviceable back-up and it's gets Bouma off our roster.
DallasFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #55
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
If Rittich and Gillies both stay in the AHL all season then will it not be exactly the same situation next season with them having hardly any NHL experience? The only way for goalie prospects to get time in the NHL is to actually play them.
Yes. But they may get more NHL chances this year due to injury. It's unlikely Smith and our backup are 100% healthy all year. Also they will be more qualified to win an NHL spot the following year with more pro experience under their belts. They learn how to be starting goalies at the pro level by starting a large number of games. Not backup up a large number of games.

Quote:
Which quality NHL backup is going to want to sign a one year contract for the Flames? Do you sign a good one for two years and potentially waste Rittich as a prospect who never gets an opportunity? I'd also rather have Gillies play this season as the clear number 1 goalie for the Heat, which I think would be hard to justify given that Rittich outperformed him in both the regular season and playoffs.
Yeah you sign a backup for only 1 year. Who is that? I don't know.

The AHL schedule is condensed enough you need both goalies to start large amount of games. Lots of back to backs.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-28-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #56
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Didn't he already re-sign in Tampa?
Ah, indeed he did. Just over $1 million per year for 2 years. Good deal for Tampa.

Still, my point stands. He asked for an example of a proven backup. Budaj is more than proven as a backup anyway.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #57
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am less convinced about Rittich. He played 2 seasons for Mldada Boleslav BK in the Czech Extraliga, then a season in the AHL where he was one of the top netminders in the league. He'll be 25 by the time the season starts.

I'd also rather have Gillies play this season as the clear number 1 goalie for the Heat, which I think would be hard to justify given that Rittich outperformed him in both the regular season and playoffs.
You make some valid points. Has there ever been any comment from management (Pascal, Conny or Tre) on the possibility of Rittich as the backup to Smith?
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #58
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
A young goalie that we hope will be a starter some day isn't going to be developed by not playing.

Treliving has spoken about this topic at length.

It makes zero sense to have Gillies sitting on the bench. He needs to play.
I took a look at most of the starting goalies for this season. The most common pattern I found is that these goalies generally go through anywhere from 1-3 seasons in the AHL, typically playing around 40 games by the end as well as picking up some games in the NHL presumably as a call up.
For the next season or two after, there's usually a backup role of ~20 games at least before taking over the starting goalie job the next season.

There were a couple anomalies (Pekka Rinne took over starting job without spending significant time in the AHL, Lundqvist came over from SHL and became starter etc) but otherwise remained relatively consistent.

Super small data pool (looking strictly at only starting goalies for the 2016-17 season) but thought it's worth mentioning. There is no specific make or break deadline when you look at what age some of these guys become the starter or even get NHL starts. All I'd take from this is that both sides have a point of getting these prospects playing time, and in time pushing them onto the next level.

Given Gillies and Rittich have only spent ONE season in the AHL playing significant number of games, it's okay to buffer the team with a veteran backup for at least another season. See how these two do in the next year and reevaluate then.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #59
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You make some valid points. Has there ever been any comment from management (Pascal, Conny or Tre) on the possibility of Rittich as the backup to Smith?
Most of his comments have been about how inexperienced both Rittich and Gillies are in North American pro hockey. He's talked about overcooking goalies. Seems reluctant to rush them.

Reading between the lines I'm skeptical they'd hand Rittich the backup job. I think they'll acquire a more experienced backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
It is certainly more likely than seeing Gillies in Calgary for the full season. But even if Rittich manages to win the spot at Flames training camp there will still be another veteran goalie brought in. The best case scenario sees Rittich playing too well to send back to Stockton, but the worst case scenario would be for the Flames to be forced to add him to the starting roster when he is not ready for it.

Signing a veteran backup is necessary insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: