Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:
Default Re-rates, RFA grids and next steps (Important)

Hey folks
Here is an update on some important next steps.

RE-RATES
We have completed re-rates and the grids for the 2016/2017 season.

We have used the same package that we used last year - this is a package that is heavily weighted towards the most recent year.

Please do not compare ratings year over year though, it is irrelevant because the overall ratings package shifts year to year and based on sim settings (more on that below). The key is the relative positioning of each player to each other.

Just as we did last year, we didn't make any adjustments to these ratings - we are going with the off the shelf to eliminate any subjectivity. There may be some players that are off but that is better than the slippery slope of trying to adjust players based on "gut".

The ratings can be seen here:
cphl.calgarypuck.com/pages/simupload/CPHL_rerates_2016.xlsx

CHANGES TO SIM ENGINE

One of the main frustrations we’ve had ourselves, and heard from our GMs over the last number of years has been the randomness of the sim. We see examples every year where a team that on paper isn’t great, really dominates. And vice versa. I believe that the sim should have randomness, but at times it seems too random. Moreover, there are specific problems like certain lines just dominating in ways that aren’t realistic.

We took steps a couple years ago to lower the randomness
- Turning off the coaches
- Turning off momentum

This off-season I’ve been looking into this more, and will be making the following changes.
- Move from the 2.0 sim engine to 1.5. This is the engine, that by all accounts, produce the most consistent and realistic results – both in terms of team performance, but individual players. The trade off with 1.5 is that we lose some of the specific features in the 2.0 version (like 3 on 3 overtime)
- Use the sim settings as recommended by the ratings provider (this is why the OVR may have shifted year over year)

GRIDS
- In the ratings package, you'll notice that there are UFA and RFA grid numbers of each player. These are the grids for this off-season. If a player is signed for this upcoming season - you don't need to worry about it. If a player is a free agent and 29 or over - use the UFA grids. 28 and under - the RFA grids.
- The grids have been adjusted to be higher this season particularly for UFAs
- We got input from GMs that they were concerned that higher RFA grids would actually hurt asset poor teams as they would not be able to re-sign their players. We've made the 1 year deals relatively good deals still, but the 2 and 3 year deals have more of a premium now than in past years - so teams have to figure out if they want to commit or not.
- As always, if you re-sign UFAs they are 1 way deals. RFAs are 2 way deals
- You MUST have enough cap space to re-sign your UFAs, but you don't need cap space to re-sign your RFAs

NEXT STEPS:
- Check out the ratings and let us know if you have any questions
- Submit your RFAs by Friday July 15 11:59 PM Calgary time
- This should be done by emailing cphltrade the following (send it all in one email, not an email for each player)
- The name of the player be signed, OVR, number of years you are signing them to, and the corresponding grid amount.
- A list of players you are NOT re-signing
- Please include any ECHLers that you want to sign, including any with 0 years left.

ONE WAY CONTRACTS
if you have any players on one way deals they must be in the NHL. The league will move anyone sitting in the Ahl on a one way back to the NHL level

RECALL WAIVERS
This one confuses people each year so ask questions if confused. This is regarding this rule. You must recall any player that is at or above the recall threshold by July 22. Otherwise they go on waivers when being recalled. For 2016/2017 those thresholds are 68 for F/D and 72 for goalies. You may notice that the rules on the site say these guys must be recalled by pre-season, but we changed this last summer to prevent teams from stashing players. I need to update the official rules.

After RFA re-signing we will have UFA re-signing and then UFA bidding.

There is a lot in this post, so please read carefully and ask questions. No question is dumb. If you are confused, chances are someone else is.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

YAY!!

JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
Knut

Exp:

Rerates look good to me

Grids are interesting. I think we see way more 1 year deals in the league as it is pretty prohibitive to give RFAs 3 year grids, unless they are exceptional
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking through some of the UFAs it appears that guys that played overseas last season aren't listed at all. Maxim Lapierre for example, played 14-15 in the NHL and 15-16 in Europe, not listed in the ratings.

I don't think it really impacts me but might for teams with players currently under contract.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

How in the hell is Wisinewski rated a 71OV playing exactly 1 game in the NHL?

He's rated better then Sbisa (I'll give him that) and Scandella. That doesn't seem right at all.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Looking through some of the UFAs it appears that guys that played overseas last season aren't listed at all. Maxim Lapierre for example, played 14-15 in the NHL and 15-16 in Europe, not listed in the ratings.

I don't think it really impacts me but might for teams with players currently under contract.
Basically assume the lowest ufa grid amounts. The ratings will be 50s across the board
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
JiriHrdina

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Rerates look good to me

Grids are interesting. I think we see way more 1 year deals in the league as it is pretty prohibitive to give RFAs 3 year grids, unless they are exceptional
If one feels a player is going to continue to improve a 3 year deal might make sense. And for players approaching ufa age you are basically buying UFA years
Old 07-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
How in the hell is Wisinewski rated a 71OV playing exactly 1 game in the NHL?

He's rated better then Sbisa (I'll give him that) and Scandella. That doesn't seem right at all.
In years past a player doesn't get hammered in ratings because they were hurt. Just because you had an unfortunate injury doesn't mean you are a worse player.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
In years past a player doesn't get hammered in ratings because they were hurt. Just because you had an unfortunate injury doesn't mean you are a worse player.
There might be an issue there though. His Durability rating is at 88. That probably should have taken a hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
JiriHrdina

Exp:

I think there are likely going to be a few outliers, but again, I don't want to get into adjustments, as it becomes a very slippery slope to decide what should be corrected and what shouldn't. I agree his rating overall seems high and his DU at minimum should have taken a hit - but would rather stick with the package as is, as long as we think it is for the most part correct for most players.
His OVR is also quite high because of EX and LD ratings.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #11
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya there are a few outliers but I think that's the case every year.

Overall the ratings look reasonable.

I'll look at grid prices later, hoping I can afford everyone!

EDIT

I have cap space! Thought I'd be right at the limit, but good news for the Isles...always nice to be under projected budget.

Last edited by simmer2; 07-07-2016 at 08:58 PM.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #12
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ratings look good to me. We have some work to do in Nashville I think as our forwards might be pretty weak looking at this point!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #13
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ratings look good...Flames RFAs are in
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #14
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

For an ECHL guy with no rating, are the grid amounts as follows?
1 x $1.00
2 x $1.50
3 x $2.00
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #15
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Echl guys are signed based on where they were drafted. No need to include contract amounts in your email for those guys;

ECHL signing guidelines (based on NHL selection):
1st Round = Picks 1-10: $1.35 million, Picks 11-20: $1.15 million, Picks 21-30: $1 million*
2nd Round = $0.75 million*
3rd Round and beyond = $0.5 million*
All Contracts are 3 Years*
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #16
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blues are done
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:08 AM   #17
Knut

Exp:

Capitals are complete
Old 07-08-2016, 12:11 AM   #18
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Chicago Blackhawks RFA email submitted
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #19
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rangers have brought back all pending RFAs.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #20
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

The goalie grids seem very off to me.

he 31st best goalie will be making 5.25-7.25 mill. I don't really get that.

I understand we are not mirroring the NHL but the highest paid goalie in the NHL makes 8.5. The next 3 make 7-7.4.

Could we not lower the grids for goalies to somewhat mirror the fact that goalies will never make as much/more then a star player. I am proposing that the best goalies in the league max out at 8m instead of 10m and we go down from there.

Last edited by Swayze11; 07-08-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote