Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 AM   #361
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
He can be offer sheeted this year, but the cost would likely be 2 firsts, a send and a third ($7.8-9.8M). Or four firsts ($9.8M+)

Anything less that 7.8 would be matched.
Odds are that there will be no offer sheet anyways. If I was a gm I sure as #### wouldn't give him 9-9.5 a year contract without McDavid coming with.

HahahhAhahahah. Oilers are ####ed.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:49 AM   #362
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Odds are that there will be no offer sheet anyways. If I was a gm I sure as #### wouldn't give him 9-9.5 a year contract without McDavid coming with.

HahahhAhahahah. Oilers are ####ed.
He scored 2 goals without Mcdavid 5v5 in 500 minutes. That's like 30-35 games worth of ice time at 5v5
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 12:51 AM   #363
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
As I understand it, McDavid only could have asked for 1.75M more... so not really a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a steal if it's 8 years. Could be a lot more by then and he'd be ufa
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:09 AM   #364
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty insane cost for McJesus, but he's arguably the best player in the game (IMO Crosby is better now, but maybe not next year). That cap hit is going to cripple their ability to building anything (let alone anything special) up there.

However, I don't understand why Draisaitl is going to get $8-9M a year? Didn't Johnny and Mony have similar (or better) seasons? Or is BT just a wizard all around (negotiating and drafting)?

Anyway, I hope he gets it (or gets offer sheeted) and they have both of them locked up for $22M for the next 8 years.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:52 AM   #365
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron View Post
However, I don't understand why Draisaitl is going to get $8-9M a year? Didn't Johnny and Mony have similar (or better) seasons? Or is BT just a wizard all around (negotiating and drafting)?
Draisaitl's first three seasons (really, 2 and a half because they sent him back to junior halfway through his rookie year) were statistically nearly identical to Tarasenko's first three seasons (really, 2 and a half because of the lockout).

Tarasenko signed an 8 year deal with a $7.5 million cap hit two years ago. Taking the cap increase into account, that would translate to about a $7.85 million hit on the current cap.

If the Oilers are legitimately offering Draisaitl up to $9 million, they must be very worried that he'll sign an even bigger offer sheet.

Monahan's first two seasons were much better than Draisaitl's, but Draisaitl's third season was better than Monahan's. Gaudreau's first two full seasons were better than Draisaitl's last two. Gaudreau was not eligible to receive offer sheets last year, while Draisaitl is offer sheet eligible this year. So, that may play a factor in Johnny getting less.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:21 AM   #366
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gotta love all the Oilers fans on HF already defending Draisaitl's potentially huge contract. They are delusional. There are plenty of young centres to compare his second contract to. Barkov, Mackinnon, Monahan, Scheifle, etc... None of which make 7 million per season.

Oil fans ignore the fact that any of these players would score at the same rate (or better) than Draisaitl if playing on a line with McDavid. Drai played on McDavids line for most of the season.

So when Drai signs for 9.5 per, No silly Oilers fan, he is not worth every penny.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #367
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Gotta love all the Oilers fans on HF already defending Draisaitl's potentially huge contract. They are delusional. There are plenty of young centres to compare his second contract to. Barkov, Mackinnon, Monahan, Scheifle, etc... None of which make 7 million per season.

Oil fans ignore the fact that any of these players would score at the same rate (or better) than Draisaitl if playing on a line with McDavid. Drai played on McDavids line for most of the season.

So when Drai signs for 9.5 per, No silly Oilers fan, he is not worth every penny.
Is there much defending? I read the thread and most don't want to pay him 8 million.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #368
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think Draisatl will sign for that much, but a (flames fan) can dream. Remember when Gio was allegedly getting $8m+ before it was announced? The best we can hope for is an offer sheet, and there are a couple teams out there that legitimately could/should.
Not sure if Florida has cap space but man would they ever look good with Draisatl added.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #369
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. Love Staples journal bit, laying out comparables which include Gaudreau and Monahan, among others. And then says this:

Quote:
Draisaitl could argue that he’s better than most of those other players — and he would have a good argument. Only Doughty and Tarasenko are clearly in the same class as him, or better than him.
I won't bother linking it
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #370
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And then he said this.

The next best comparable for Draisaitl after Tarasenko is Gaudreau, another face-of-the-franchise player on a good Calgary team. Gaudreau got his big contract after scoring 78 points in 79 games in 2015-16 and 64 points in 80 games in 2014-15. At his new salary, he scored 61 points in 72 games lat year.

Not that far fetched of an article and it's actually well written and has great points.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #371
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, as far as Staples goes it's not bad.
Just typical to suggest that great young player X is not in the same class as Oiler player Y
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #372
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Did you see him in the playoffs?

Try 5th or 6th best.
I thought that he was on the injured list for the playoffs, pretty much invisible, in the Ducks series he might as well have gone to Disney Land early.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #373
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So now we can start with the math.

fun numbers for Connor McDavid

Based on last years number

$414,666 per goal
$132,500 per point
$509,615,385 per pim
$161,585,365 per game
$110,416,666 per dive/headsnap/embellishment
$52,788,844 per shot
$7,025 per minute

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #374
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I don't think Draisatl will sign for that much, but a (flames fan) can dream. Remember when Gio was allegedly getting $8m+ before it was announced? The best we can hope for is an offer sheet, and there are a couple teams out there that legitimately could/should.
Not sure if Florida has cap space but man would they ever look good with Draisatl added.
The difference in the Gio situation is his age. Rumors were he wanted as high as 9 but nobody said for 8 years. Based on his age if the demand was for 5 years that is $45 mil. Flames gave him over $45 mil just over 7 years. Could make a case from Gio's point of view he got what he wants as after 5 years it would be tough for him for get a big deal after that anyways
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #375
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
This contract is a steal for the Oilers. McDavid had all the leverage and could have had a lot more.
I don't see Draisaitl getting much more than Tarasenko
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
As I understand it, McDavid only could have asked for 1.75M more... so not really a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just came to post the exact same thing. He gave them a $1.75M discount. Not much.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #376
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Just came to post the exact same thing. He gave them a $1.75M discount. Not much.
But he gave them 3 years as well, which is huge. Given that he could have gone 5x15, this is a gift.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #377
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
But he gave them 3 years as well, which is huge. Given that he could have gone 5x15, this is a gift.
Very true.

They are however, handing him $106 Million after like 130 games.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #378
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The big factor in the dollars isn't what Draisaitl did during the regular season, it's what he did during the regular season and his incredible performance during the playoffs.

Playoff players get paid.

You can argue his regular season statistics to Gaudreau or Tarasenko, but what is his playoff comparable.

16 points in 13 games while being a +8? HIs team was bounced in the second round and he still finished top 10 in points and plus minus for the entire playoff.

When the Flames were elminated in the second round by the ducks, Gaudreau had 9 points in 11 games and monahan had 8. Draisaitl's recent performance blows those out of the water. He very nearly doubled McDavid's production in the playoffs.

The guy is going to get freakin' paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #379
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
the first of those ufa years is still six years away.. How quickly can something happen in those six years to potentially ruin the earnings potential of a young athlete.. Sure he left money on the table signing for 8..he also has secured himself almost forty million for those years instead of maybe more later.. It's a prudent decision..
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #380
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Very true.

They are however, handing him $106 Million after like 130 games.
There are risks both ways. He could have gone 5x15 and then 8x20(?). I think if we are honest, and he was with the Flames, we would have been thrilled with the 8 years...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote