Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #21
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's courage of the kid to reach out and ask for help...good luck Emile
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #22
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great to hear he has been getting the help he needs. Here's hoping he is on the right track and can move on and become a player for the flames. I had written him off a bit when this season ended, but would definitely be an added bonus if he can get back to where he was 2 years ago.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #23
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to hear he recognized the problem and reached out himself, and also glad that he's back on track. I still have hopes that he'll crack the roster one day.

Best of luck Emile!
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #24
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Poirier makes the Flames one day (and I think if he remains in control of his personal issues, he will), the Flames are going to be one heck of a fast team.

Monahan and Tkachuk are 'average' I would say. Perhaps a bit below, but if so, not much below at all. Certainly not slow.

The only slow player on the roster would be Brouwer. Stajan is coming up to his last season here more than likely (and I wouldn't say he is exactly slow anyways).

Gaudreau, Backlund, Frolik, Lazar, Bennett are all pretty damn fast. Add Poirier to the mix of that. Plus guys like Ferland can really move. And wow - almost all of these guys are tenacious and difficult to play against. Add Foo to that mix now as well. Add in a top 4 that is 100% mobile. Sprinkle a prospect like Kylington to that back-end, and it becomes filthy.

Flames are going to be a pretty fast team for years to come.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 AM   #25
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome. First and foremost, it's important that he's been getting help and seemingly is doing better. The hockey career is gravy.

Good to see that the Flames are helping and supporting him, whatever the issues are. Not too surprising though, they supported Ferland too and have proved they're a classy organization in general.

As a fan, him getting his career back on track would be fantastic. Was probably my favourite prospect only a couple of years ago because of his speed, skill and nastiness. Would be great to see him get to the NHL level, but again, just glad he's been getting help. Asking for that and acknowledging a problem is a big step, so glad he's been doing that.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #26
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Awesome. First and foremost, it's important that he's been getting help and seemingly is doing better. The hockey career is gravy.

Good to see that the Flames are helping and supporting him, whatever the issues are. Not too surprising though, they supported Ferland too and have proved they're a classy organization in general.

As a fan, him getting his career back on track would be fantastic. Was probably my favourite prospect only a couple of years ago because of his speed, skill and nastiness. Would be great to see him get to the NHL level, but again, just glad he's been getting help. Asking for that and acknowledging a problem is a big step, so glad he's been doing that.
Really great to hear he's recognized the there's help, and big of him to call Brad and work on it right away. And having someone in the organization like Ferland (and Big Urn before him) that just "gets it" is a really good thing for him.

I see big things for Emile in the future here, us fans are also behind him.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #27
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice. Feel-good days for the Flames it seems.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
It's courage of the kid to reach out and ask for help...good luck Emile
It takes further courage to be the guy to answer that call.

Good on both sides. If anything I'm sad that Big 'Ern isnt here anymore, he'd sort this out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #29
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
It was news that came out earlier this month I think? I believe it was a confirmed source.
I definitely heard that it was a substance abuse issue but cannot recall the source either.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #30
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It takes further courage to be the guy to answer that call.

Good on both sides. If anything I'm sad that Big 'Ern isnt here anymore, he'd sort this out.
Big Ern lives here, he's helping behind the scenes. So is Ferland. That's How it Works.

Last edited by Racki; 06-28-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Racki For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #31
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I definitely heard that it was a substance abuse issue but cannot recall the source either.
Wasn't it one of the Stockton reports, or coach conversations with Pinder on 960? I can't recall for certain, but it seems to me that's where the substance abuse angle came from.

At any rate glad to hear he took it on and that Brad feels he will come out of it for the better.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #33
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He was one of our most intriguing prospects 2 years ago. Now it's looking like bust. In the end, this young man's life matters much more. Hope he can get it back, very difficult to commit to the harsh realities and demands of becoming a pro athlete while also trying to stay on the wagon.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #34
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
Wasn't it one of the Stockton reports, or coach conversations with Pinder on 960? I can't recall for certain, but it seems to me that's where the substance abuse angle came from.

At any rate glad to hear he took it on and that Brad feels he will come out of it for the better.
I think it was an interview Pinder did with Brad Pascall.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #35
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
I think it was an interview Pinder did with Brad Pascall.
Yes, I recall that interview. It was a season-ender on the Stockton Heat.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #36
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Big Ern lives here, he's helping behind the scenes. So is Ferland. That's How it Works.
Is he fully retired now? Sources from Wikipedia show that he's been part of the NHL substance abuse program since Oct 2012 but he was most recently playing in the UK last season.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #37
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Is he fully retired now? Sources from Wikipedia show that he's been part of the NHL substance abuse program since Oct 2012 but he was most recently playing in the UK last season.
Yeah he played over there last season but isn't going back. Seems to have settled in Calgary again, he's been around a lot lately
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #38
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I believe the details of Poirier's troubles came from one of the recent season ticket holders' meetings where Flames brass let it be known he had been in rehab for substance abuse. It was then posted here.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:34 AM   #39
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
I believe the details of Poirier's troubles came from one of the recent season ticket holders' meetings where Flames brass let it be known he had been in rehab for substance abuse. It was then posted here.
Yes. I posted this as it came out "officially" by Tre in the STH meeting. Poirier had check himself in to substance abuse rehab facility.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #40
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Poirier suffered from a drinking problem..

Darren Haynes‏Verified account @DarrenWHaynes 11m11 minutes ago
Good on Emile Poirier, who spoke today about his time away from hockey, a result of a drinking problem he realized he had to tackle head-on.

Darren Haynes‏Verified account @DarrenWHaynes 9m9 minutes ago help. "I called him for support, I needed help and he's been truly supportive through the process."

Darren Haynes‏Verified account @DarrenWHaynes 5m5 minutes ago Emile Poirier, in good hands: "I'm working with Brian McGrattan every day. He's awesome with me and he's helped me go through this process."

Last edited by flamesfan55; 07-05-2017 at 01:01 PM.
flamesfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 66 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan55 For This Useful Post: