Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #121
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Wasn't necessarily his choice to leave either. The team he has a contract with recalled him back to Europe
I don't think teams really do that. They go with whatever the player wishes.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #122
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Wasn't necessarily his choice to leave either. The team he has a contract with recalled him back to Europe
Old 06-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #123
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

His team in Finland exercised their right to his contract and recalled him. This is probably more about his team wanting to extract some money out of the Flames for his playing rights for the year. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #124
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
His team in Finland exercised their right to his contract and recalled him. This is probably more about his team wanting to extract some money out of the Flames for his playing rights for the year. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.
Where do you get this information?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:03 AM   #125
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Where do you get this information?
From the posted article.

"That said, because the Flames didn’t sign Tuulola to a contract by June 15 HPK still has an active contract with him – for the Flames to sign Tuulola they would’ve had to negotiate a termination of that deal – and because that contract still exists, HPK has the ability to call him back from his North American loan. They did so."

This means they would have had to pay a fee to HPK to terminate the deal. This is consistent with the agreements the NHL has with the European leagues. Them pulling him back likely has nothing to do with the player's interests of desires and is focused on protecting their perceived turf.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #126
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
From the posted article.

"That said, because the Flames didn’t sign Tuulola to a contract by June 15 HPK still has an active contract with him – for the Flames to sign Tuulola they would’ve had to negotiate a termination of that deal – and because that contract still exists, HPK has the ability to call him back from his North American loan. They did so."

This means they would have had to pay a fee to HPK to terminate the deal. This is consistent with the agreements the NHL has with the European leagues. Them pulling him back likely has nothing to do with the player's interests of desires and is focused on protecting their perceived turf.
Player rights are not any less perceived turf than if Tuulola had been drafted by another team and they were the ones telling Tuulola where to go.

For HPK those contract rights are money, they have to protect their interests because nobody else will do it for them.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #127
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I just wanted to say that it's typically not as simple as teams treating young players as commodities whose opinions on where they would like to play don't matter. But maybe that's beside the points others are making.

HPK by the way is kind of a family team for the Tuulolas. His father has the franchise records for most games played and most points and has recently been on their coaching staff as well. Also Eetu's brother played there. I don't think they would drag Eetu back to Finland against his wishes, if that's what people are saying, but that's purely my personal opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #128
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

He will be attending the finnish World Junior summer camp, and tryout tournament in Michigan

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/tuul...on/c-290314390
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #129
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
He will be attending the finnish World Junior summer camp, and tryout tournament in Michigan

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/tuul...on/c-290314390
I think that is a showcase type tourney - the actual Finnish World Jr camp is in Finland I believe. But the showcase likely helps to decide who they want to invite to camp.

I believe Valmalki said he would be attending the Finnish World Jr camp in Finland. Assume he too would play in the showcase tourney in Michigan as well.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #130
Unknown
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Eetu Tuulola's stats from the FEL this regular season: 60gp, 13+23=36 pts. His club HPK is currently playing in the 5th semi-final against Tappara. Eetu just scored a nice backhander to get his team up 2-1. (Well, now it's 3-1 for Eetu and HPK). I didn't see his regular-season games at all, but because of my favourite Finnish club TPS played against Eetu's HPK in the quarter finals, I've seen every single Tuulola's playoff games.

Eetu's been pretty solid so far. He's currently playing his 10th playoff game with stats 3+2, +1. He's pretty hard nosed guy with net front presence (clearly the best net front guy for his team). In the quarter-finals, he took couple of stupid penalties, but he's improved from that.

Will be fun to see how he evolves. I could see him as a bottom six two-way winger with some capability to get the opposing team's players annoyed (he always seems to have something to say to his opponents, and sometimes it creates some havoc). Haven't seen him fight though. Should also get a little bit faster with his skates. Maybe one more season in Finland, and after that we'll see.

Everything is possible in this life.

Last edited by Unknown; 04-13-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Unknown For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #131
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kiitos button

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #132
Unknown
Farm Team Player

Exp:

So indeed, Tuulola is the FEL-champion. He didn't get too many points in the final series, but he was solid all the post-season long. Must be a great feeling for him, he was playing PP during their GWG in overtime. Congrats Eetu, hopefully you'll be a Flame in future! He was in HPK's fourth line in the game seven, but he got a lot of responsibility throughout these games. If he gets some improvement in his skating, I think he's season or two away from trying to get a spot in bottom-6 at Calgary roster. He might get an agitator-role with some 2-way abilities in future.

Congrats Eetu!
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:49 AM   #133
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since it's been such a topic lately, I thought people might be interested to know that SM-liiga admitted the 2+2 high sticking penalty given to Kärpät in game 7 OT which lead to HPK scoring and winning the championship was a bad call. The stick that hit the HPK player in the face actually belonged to his team mate.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: