Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default My first ever game at the Saddledome!

Hi everyone,

I don't post often, primarily because I don't often have a whole ton to add - but I am geeked out of my mind that I will finally be attending my first NHL game at the Saddledome. I have been a fan since I really discovered hockey in 2003 (pretty good timing for a Flames fan), and have been hooked (thanks to Center Ice) ever since. I have lurked at CalgaryPuck for many years now.

I'm flying up from Seattle tomorrow morning for the game tomorrow evening and flying home Sunday - but wanted to see if there are any pre-game spots or things that I just can't miss...I am meeting with some friends for lunch but otherwise just hanging out downtown...would love any recommendations.

Thanks everyone!
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I hope you enjoy your time here. I've lived in Calgary all my life, and I love it here.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where are your seats? Hopefully you got good ones for the occasion.

Assuming you're coming by train, the Dome is easy to get to; just hop off at Victoria Stampede and follow the C of Red. You'll go through the BMO building and walk on the +15 to the Western Entrance. There's a small reception area before the ticket gates with a FanAttic gift shop.

Once you're in the concourse, it's worthwhile to have a walk around especially if you're there early. For tomorrow's 8:00pm puck drop, the gates usually open at 6:30. The warmups would begin shortly after 7:20 and last for about 15 min. Johnny usually does his puck juggling trick for the kids in Section 108, so keep an eye out for him. He's also usually the last one off the ice for warmups.

There's usually lots of signed memorabilia up for auctions and the like. Lots of places to get beer and food too (which is pretty expensive of course). I like Pocket Dawgs. Just remember that they only accept cash/credit - you'll have to hit up an ATM which of course carve you for service fees unless you're a Scotiabank cardholder.

They use two gates for smoking areas. You'll have to go down to the main level of the concourse and follow the signs around til you find it.

Considering it's the last Battle of Alberta of the season (good pick for your first ever C of Red experience, and not the "easy" pick either... I went to all the AZ games this season because hate losing), the 50/50 raffle might be pretty high. It's probably worth getting a couple tickets just for the fun of it.

If you need to use the restrooms, try not to go in the last 2 min of the period through the intermission because everyone does. The feeling of straining your bladder really sucks when the line moves as slow as it does at intermission. Unless you've got like, club level seats or something. I wait until the last dry scrape to bolt for the men's room.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

You picked a good game. Atmosphere should be good especially if the home team shows up.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I second Gaskal, Pocket Dawgs are what I get every time I'm at the Dome.

Nom and nom.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Also, be sure to get a Saddledome frozen malted dessert
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are doing a full morning skate tomorrow at 10:30am. The Oilers likely aren't skating since it's a back-to-back. If you're at the rink a half-hour before puck drop you can see the pre-game warm-up.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss those malts for sure. The closest thing I've found here is Wendys chocolate Frostys
Old 01-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
Lanny's Moustache
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get to the Dome before the doors officially open (usually 1.5 hours before "game time" so you can walk around the building and explore as many areas as possible. Check out all the FanAttic shops because they can have different items. There's also some displays around the ends to look at which are new after the flood.

Then make your way to section 102-103 before 7:30 and get yourself a front row seat for the warm-ups. You can sit anywhere that's open so long as you politely move if the actual ticket holder for that seat shows up. The view from 102-103 is the best for the Flames warm-up. Admire the size and speed of the players. You could even try for a selfie when guys are lined up along the glass while running drills. Just don't bang on the glass like a moron.

Don't feel rushed to leave the second the buzzer sounds. Hang out for a bit and experience the Dome after the game. Eventually you will have to go but you don't NEED to rush out the door with 15,000 others all at once.

If you have no real plans after the game head out the East exit doors on the right side of the interior FanAttic store and go to the bottom of the stairs. To the right is the entrance to the players parking lot. You can hang out there along the fence, as guided by the lot attendants, and players usually stop and sign autographs after the game. It will be 30-45 minutes after the end of the game before players slowly start coming out and can take 2+ hours after for every last one to leave. But meeting some of the team is an experience you won't soon forget. Just be polite and courteous and if you'd like a photo ASK them if it's ok first. If you are interested in doing this make sure you go to the bathroom before you exit the building, have some warm clothes and know where you are when it's time to leave. The East side is a long walk around the building to get to the train or to find a cab if those are your modes of transportation.

I'd also suggest if you have a jersey you do want signed in a black area that you stop by Walmart or Michael's and pick up a silver paint pen first. Silver Sharpies will not write very well and fade easily. Paint pens are forever. And have the player personalize it. Anyone can have a Sean Monohan signed jersey. Only YOU can have a Sean Monohan jersey personalized to you.

Between 102 and 103, best place to go to watch warmups. Walk down to the glass and have a seat.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.03694...7i13312!8i6656

East exit
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.03755...7i13312!8i6656

Outside with stairs down to parking lot. Then you go to the right (behind the temp building)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.03759...7i13312!8i6656
Lanny's Moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lanny's Moustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Don't forget the heroin beer.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the record if you plan to get there early and are downtown a cab from downtown is about $8 if you leave before 7 roughly. Will save you like 20+ minutes of getting to the Dome.

About $5 more than the train (which is $3.15 per person).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
For the record if you plan to get there early and are downtown a cab from downtown is about $8 if you leave before 7 roughly. Will save you like 20+ minutes of getting to the Dome.

About $5 more than the train (which is $3.15 per person).
Actually the train is now 3.25 per adult (2.25 for youths)

Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Actually the train is now 3.25 per adult (2.25 for youths)
What?? Madness!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #14
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
What?? Madness!
I know, right!?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #15
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
What?? Madness!
Scorpion gets to pay the youth rate
Old 01-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
A toonie and a quarter! It's so simple!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I figured he got on free, as long as he was on an adult's lap.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #18
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For pre-game I usually go to Local on 8th Ave. There is usually a lot Flames fans there and its about a 10(ish) dollar cab ride to the dome.

Have a good time and welcome to Calgary.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bezer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 02:16 AM   #19
IgnitedSoul
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To piggyback on what Lanny's Moustache said, you can go to the same spot trying to get autographs after practice too; I find there are usually fewer people, more players stop, and the sun being up means it's probably warmer and you'll get better pictures (if you're looking for that).
IgnitedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgnitedSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #20
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks everybody! Pocket Dawgs and Frozen Malted Dessert...challenge accepted.

We're down on the 10th row tonight...figured we might as well do it right since it's not something (clearly) that I get around to doing very often. I really appreciate all of the advice - I've been looking forward to this all season. Here's hoping the boys show up for more than just five minutes tonight...
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to slcrocket For This Useful Post: