Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #21
BCGirl
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I am pretty sure it is through auto trader.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
However, dont hesitate to send 'em a nasty response email and tell them exactly what you think of them
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
Make a fake email and pretend to be some car sales agent helping your father. Then play around with this guy and waste his time. Google scambaiter for tips.
Couple of years ago a friend showed me an example of that on a private forum (otherwise I would have posted it here).

I was in tears laughing. It was a nigerian scam for a dog and the buyer strung him along telling him the dog was for his dying niece IIRC. They guy led on the scammer for weeks. Each new email would have a more hilarious sob story. He went so far as to claim he sent the money thru Western Union and the scammer would get all mad when he'd go to collect his money and there was no actual transfer. It was golden.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #23
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just tell them that you don't have a paypal account so it would be better if they sent the money to their pickup agent who could cash it and make the exchange. That should clear it up right away.

As for the scam portion, because it is a car would you have any recourse if you reported the car stolen?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

This is the same thing as getting an email from a widow who randomly chose you to share $50 billion with.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #25
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like a scam.

Have some fun with it though. See if you can access your dad's account and screw around with the guy.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Couple of years ago a friend showed me an example of that on a private forum (otherwise I would have posted it here).

I was in tears laughing. It was a nigerian scam for a dog and the buyer strung him along telling him the dog was for his dying niece IIRC. They guy led on the scammer for weeks. Each new email would have a more hilarious sob story. He went so far as to claim he sent the money thru Western Union and the scammer would get all mad when he'd go to collect his money and there was no actual transfer. It was golden.
Yeah i know the forum you are talking about. It's a great read when you need a laugh or two. Anyone can PM if you want the name of the site.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #27
CarlW
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hello trusty CP braintrust,

My old man is selling his car, he got the following email.

I've used Paypal but not extensively. I checked a few older threads (including PIMking's thread where he got screwed on his camera but that was ebay).

Is this a scam? Does it sound like a scam?

TIA.
Yea, working out at sea as a Somali Pirate maybe. Automatic scam sensor alerts are commas with no space after it, inconsistent grammar and english level throughout, they will use an "agent", they tell you automatically to go setup a Paypal/online pay account if you don't already have one, and they have no access to phone/internet/carrier pigeons but miraculously saw your ad online.
CarlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
Yea, working out at see as a Somali Pirate maybe. Automatic scam sensor alerts are commas with no space after it, inconsistent grammar and english level throughout, they will use an "agent", they tell you automatically to go setup a Paypal/online pay account if you don't already have one, and they have no access to phone/internet/carrier pigeons but miraculously saw your ad online.

haha. that never dawned on me. Good point.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #29
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I googled a couple of the sentences in the email, and this thread from Paypal was right at the top: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...am/td-p/104606

100% a scam.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I am a member of that site... why is it private?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I am a member of that site... why is it private?

I'm guessing that the place I found it is not where you guys saw it. I'm not saying it hasn't been reposted elsewhere, just where I saw it wasn't public.

The forum my friend posted me was a german forum. Or people trying to be german or of german descent. I forget what the deal was but it was in an area of the forum that was private.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #32
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

oh... 419eater.com has tons of good stories
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #33
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm still not getting how the scam works. Other than that from the link, once you said you had PayPal the guy then asks you to wire HIM money so that he can arrange the pick-up agent to come by?
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #34
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The scam works because the guy himself (or a friend) will pick up the car after the money has 'cleared' paypal, but it will either be charged back on the credit card/nsf by the bank/from a stolen paypal account/etc so even though the money is in your account and you can pull it out, when paypal gets stiffed they pull the money from your account. The window for this is quite small, so if someone was to arrange pickup for one day, and you delayed it a few days or a week, you could be more more sure than the money would there for good. There might be some really good ways to extend that windows that I am not aware of, so I wouldn't try this for any large sum.

People believe it because eBay always hyped up how paypal is secure, can't get ripped off because they guarantee transactions etc, but the reality is those services only work for ebay purchases. In fact, you often have much less recourse using paypal to pay than using your Visa straight out, because then you have an option to chargeback if they scam you. If you use paypal, then you pay the money to paypal and they pay it to someone else, so chargeback is not an option.

Last edited by Rathji; 04-27-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
I'm still not getting how the scam works. Other than that from the link, once you said you had PayPal the guy then asks you to wire HIM money so that he can arrange the pick-up agent to come by?
I was confused by that too since he isn't going to actually acquire your car, all he's doing is stringing you along.

This is what appears to happen: You agree to sell him the vehicle. Then, in the next communication he realizes that the pick-up agent needs to be paid $1000 and won't accept PayPal payments, so he asks if he could send you an extra $1500 (to cover the $1000, plus $500 for your trouble) in his PayPal payment and have you send the $1000 to the pick-up agent. So, he gives you the information on where to send the money and once you do, you'll never hear from him again. If he does send anything through PayPal, it will be with fraudulent or stolen information, so you'll never get the money and you'll be out the $1000 you sent to the "pick-up agent".
Old 04-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #36
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The real perplexing part of this is that Cecil actually is wondering if this is a scam, so much so that I think Cecil is putting us on by pretending he isn't sure this is a scam.

As soon as it gets to 'I am ready to buying it', its 100% unequivocably a scam. Didn't need to read the rest.
Are you suggesting Cecil is in fact scamming us as he sits back in his chair laughing hysterically in that maniacal Sideshow Bob sort of way???
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #37
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Are you suggesting Cecil is in fact scamming us as he sits back in his chair laughing hysterically in that maniacal Sideshow Bob sort of way???
No way. He hates Bob way too much to laugh like him.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #38
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The real perplexing part of this is that Cecil actually is wondering if this is a scam, so much so that I think Cecil is putting us on by pretending he isn't sure this is a scam.

As soon as it gets to 'I am ready to buying it', its 100% unequivocably a scam. Didn't need to read the rest.
I know it seems obvious but I still wanted to check with CP. The part that was getting me was how he this could be a scam. The explanations so far on how this type of scam would work, likely would have meant even if my dad had responded it probably wouldn't have gone much further. He's not a genius like me but he's certainly no dummy. He emailed me asking if it was a scam and I said probably but that I'd check with CP first. Once again, thanks for confirming my suspicions (except Sliver, he's a dick).

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 04-27-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #39
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems legit.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #40
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hello trusty CP braintrust,

My old man is selling his car, he got the following email.

I've used Paypal but not extensively. I checked a few older threads (including PIMking's thread where he got screwed on his camera but that was ebay).

Is this a scam? Does it sound like a scam?

TIA.
Hmmm that PayPal thing sounds like a scam. Just give me your name and credit card number and I'll ensure you get paid for this.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote