Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers General Heat discussion thread

Hey everyone, I just wanted to create this thread so that we could keep general Heat discussion out of the Stats thread. Not to tell anyone they can't post about the Heat in that thread, but we can do that here.

I'll be trying to post injury updates, post game discussion, player achievements, etc. in this thread.

So, to start off, I was wondering if anyone heard what the deal was with Stefen Meyer? He has only played 6 games this year with the Heat, all of which were at the beginning of the season. Healthy scratch or injury?

Also, I'm actually glad P3L is being sent down. I wouldn't mind for one second if he took a spot from, say, MacMillan. The Heat definitely need some toughness in lineup and Desbiens cannot fill the tough guy role.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not sure about Meyer, hes kinda fallen off the radar after his stint with the Flames last year.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Haven't seen anything about Meyer, didn't realize he wasn't playing. I thought he was ok up with the Flames last year.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Heat definitely need some toughness in lineup and Desbiens cannot fill the tough guy role. __________________
What's Ivanans doing or is he not good enough for regular shifts?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Heat President Ryan Walter is on the Fan right now. Hopefully they put up the audio on the website.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
So, to start off, I was wondering if anyone heard what the deal was with Stefen Meyer? He has only played 6 games this year with the Heat, all of which were at the beginning of the season. Healthy scratch or injury?
Is Meyer considered a AHL vet? Could be a numbers thing where the Heat have to many veterans and can't fit Meyer in the lineup. Only thing I could think of. Or he has an injury nobody knows about.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The AHL requires teams to dress 12 skaters who have played 260 games or less AND 1 skater who has played 320 games or less. (Games are regular season in the NHL, AHL, IHL or European leagues).

Thus, in any given game, the team can dress 5 of the "over 320/260" group (Laing, Ivanans, Walter, Kolanos, Meyer & Wilson] and 1 in the "over 260" group [Desbiens & Piskula]. The other 12 skaters have to be under 260.

Forwards:
647 - Laing [over 320/260]
472 - Ivanans [over 320/260]
447 - Walter [over 320/260]
398 - Kolanos [over 320/260]
395 - Meyer [over 320/260]
291 - Desbiens [over 260]
229 - Letourneau-Leblond
160 - Armstrong
147 - Rheault
132 - Byron
77 - Bouma
74 - Nemisz
61 - Patterson
60 - Cameron
51- Sylvester
38 - Bancks
21 - Wahl
8 - Dowling
0 - Howse
0 - Severyn

Defenders:
452 - Wilson [over 320/260]
270 - Piskula [over 260]
236 - Mikkelson
230 - Henry
74 - Breen
72 - Negrin
71 - Brodie
0 - Martin

Based on this, is it any wonder why some guys are playing more than others?

Just for fun, this year's Abbotsford games played:

Forwards:
22 - Rheault, Nemisz, Walter, Sylvester, Desbiens
21 - Laing
19 - Bouma
18 - Patterson
17 - Armstrong
13 - Kolanos, Bancks
11 - Byron
9 - MacMillan
8 - Howse
7 - Ivanans
6 - Meyer, Dowling
5 - Wahl

Defenders:
22 - Wilson, Mikkelson
21 - Henry
18 - Piskula
17 - Breen
12 - Brodie
8 - Martin, Negrin
5 - Cullity

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman

Last edited by Freeway; 12-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Heat President Ryan Walter is on the Fan right now. Hopefully they put up the audio on the website.
Fantastic interview. He is so well spoken.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
What's Ivanans doing or is he not good enough for regular shifts?
Meh. When he's in, he plays like a regular old tough guy. Nothing special. He usually plays against division rivals to add a physical, intimidating presence.

I actually think P3L will do a better job of that. Just a feeling.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 12-01-2011 at 05:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Fantastic interview. He is so well spoken.
He is an awesome president.

Unlike Mauthe the last two years, Walter actually walks around the corridor during the game and wanders around the stands talking to fans all the time. He's willing to answer questions and lets fans try on his Cup ring (even though it's a dirty Montreal Canadiens ring).
Old 12-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is an awesome president.

Unlike Mauthe the last two years, Walter actually walks around the corridor during the game and wanders around the stands talking to fans all the time. He's willing to answer questions and lets fans try on his Cup ring (even though it's a dirty Montreal Canadiens ring).
From 1986.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
From 1986.
But not from 1989
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Asked Ryan Pinder what the deal is with Stefan Meyer. Turns out it's exactly what Freeway said regarding the number of veterans able to play.

Also, here's the interesting part, he mentioned that Meyer is "looking for a new home". He's only under contract for this year, so either Feaster trades him (which is likely impossible) or he sits for the entire rest of the season. Sounds like he's only a last minute starter in case of many injuries.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

He may be a candidate for a loan somewhere, but I'm sure other AHL teams are in the same boat in terms of the veteran cap.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Gio out long term, i was wondering what this board thinks of Breen being called up? Has his play been good enough to get a promotion? Also i have heard that Piskula has been good this season and deserved the call-up, but do any of you think he can stick in the NHL?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hey everyone, I just wanted to create this thread so that we could keep general Heat discussion out of the Stats thread. Not to tell anyone they can't post about the Heat in that thread, but we can do that here.
Can I just say thank you for all the work you do updating use Flames folk on the happenings down in Abbotsford. It's greatly appreciated. Love that there is a specific thread to discuss questions on the prospects and the team in general.

Just curious, any news or rumblings on John Wahl's loan stint with the Hamilton Bulldogs. Looks like he has struggled a bit with zeros across the board in 4 games.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to c.t.ner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
With Gio out long term, i was wondering what this board thinks of Breen being called up? Has his play been good enough to get a promotion? Also i have heard that Piskula has been good this season and deserved the call-up, but do any of you think he can stick in the NHL?
Breen being called up, IMO, would have been imminent if this whole situation with the Flames happened last season. This season, it seems as though Breen has taken a step back. He just doesn't look like that dominant force he was last year when Playfair had so much praise for him. The good thing, however, is it seems Breen is taking small steps to get back to where he was at the end of last season. Not only that, but he plays against some of the opposing team's top lines every game. So, his plus/minus rating will likely never be that great (kind of like Bouwmeester's), but I'm sure he'll regain his ability again. As of right now, I'd say he's behind Brodie, Carson, Piskula, Mikkelson, and Wilson (even though he shouldn't be because Wilson's a total b*tch in his own end).

As for Piskula, he's the best defenseman on the team behind Brodie. He and Brodie love playing together, and they have perfect chemistry with each other in terms of covering each other if the other wants to rush. It's often believed that Piskula is a defensive defenseman, but as Brodie said in an interview once, he's not. He's a two-way D-man with good puck moving skills, he's fast for his size, and he's very responsible defensively.

Will he stick in the NHL? Yes and no. No, because he's taking Gio's spot right now and he'll be sent down when Gio's healthy. Yes, because I think he can do just as well as Carson in the 7th D-man role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
Can I just say thank you for all the work you do updating use Flames folk on the happenings down in Abbotsford. It's greatly appreciated. Love that there is a specific thread to discuss questions on the prospects and the team in general.

Just curious, any news or rumblings on Mitch Wahl's loan stint with the Hamilton Bulldogs. Looks like he has struggled a bit with zeros across the board in 4 games.
No problem. I love the Heat and the Flames and like to let people know what's going on.

No news on Wahl right now. It must be mighty tough for him right now for two reasons: a) he's getting ample opportunity to play top-6 time, but b) the Bulldogs flat out suck. There are no good pure goal scorers on that team that Wahl can help with his playmaking skills. But then again, it's a bit of a Catch 22 as he won't get top-9 time with the Heat and he's not physically able to handle 4th line duties and isn't made for that type of role. I feel bad for the guy and alot of Heat fans here want him back, but they don't understand that he's probably a little better off in Hamilton (even if it sucks to be there).
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat vs. Wolves starts at 6:30 MT (5:30 PST). Apparently there's been lots of chirping already between the Heat and Wolves during warm up, namely P3L and Mark Mancari.

P3L and Ivanans both in tonight. Expected to play on the same line.

Ortio sitting in the press box tonight. A goalie named Danny Taylor has been signed to a SPC to backup Irving. He's 25 years old. Played for the Springfield Falcons (Columbus' farm team) this season, but was released.

Here's his AHL page: http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=2028

EDIT - Breen and Mikkelson paired to start. That shows me one of two things: either Breen is performing well enough to be on the top pairing with Mikkelson OR Wilson has been performing like crap so Breen was the de facto defender to take his spot. Likely the latter, but let's hope it's the former.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 12-02-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Danny Taylor is English (but moved to Ottawa when he was a kid) and judging by his numbers, a pretty not-bad goalie. Pinder indicated that the Heat are rolling with three goalies for a bit.

I believe he was with the Manchester (New Hampshire) team at the same time Jon Rheault was.

Dressed for Abbotsford tonight:

G: Taylor, Irving
D: Martin, Wilson, Breen, Mikkelson, Carson, Henry
F: Kolanos, Bouma, Laing, Byron, Nemisz, Walter, Sylvester, Rheault, Patterson, PL3, Desbiens, Ivanans

Last edited by Freeway; 12-02-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #20
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ So the players sitting would be Meyer, Bancks (injury), Howse, Dowling, and Negrin.

Tags
heat