Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Strange internet connectivity issue

My sister called me yesterday with complaints that she couldn't connect to the internet and Telus told her it wasn't a problem on their end. She said she was still able to get her email, so I tried to use Teamviewer and it connected without issue.

Long story short, it seems like a browser hijack/DNS type issue. Some websites load, and some dont - Google.com will load, but Google.ca wont (but the google.ca IP address will). I ran a few scans (Avast, Malware Bytes, Hitman Pro) and it came up with Websearch, which seems to be an Ask redirect virus which I removed, but the problem persists. Hosts file is clean and I assume at this point, if it is still infected, I am going to have to go up there and boot into safe mode to clean it properly.

DHCP settings on the desktop don't work at all, so everything is static) and I have tried changing to various other DNS servers (verizon, shaw, and misc telus ones). Her modem is a Speedtouch, which I cant log into to check DHCP settings. It is also effecting all her computers.

I just wanted to get some input as to possible causes before I drive across the city.

Last edited by Rathji; 09-03-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I had some internet problems on Shaw yesterday, everything's back to normal now. No idea if it's related.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote