Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #1381
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

boourns.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #1382
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ranieri has apparently been fired by Leicester.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #1383
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Ranieri has apparently been fired by Leicester.
They should have let him stay on to see if he can take the team to win the Champions League
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #1384
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

obviously sucks given their cinderella season, but it's pretty hard to argue with that decision. 2 wins in 16 league games. It's actually pretty incredible how much time they've given him.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #1385
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if Conte should start making his moving plans for next year. Two years in a row the defending champion manager is fired in season.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #1386
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
United's Twitter put out the statement too, so that is definitely that, for now anyway.
I pretend to get it, hes not getting playing time, hes getting older, United are being offered a ton of money and hes being offered a ton of money.

So there must be some ulterior motive for him to stay, it might just be that hes content with his wages now, or that he doesnt want to move his family, who knows, but it seemed like a win/win all around.

As for Leicester, theres no point in firing him now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #1387
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I pretend to get it, hes not getting playing time, hes getting older, United are being offered a ton of money and hes being offered a ton of money.

So there must be some ulterior motive for him to stay, it might just be that hes content with his wages now, or that he doesnt want to move his family, who knows, but it seemed like a win/win all around.
well given that he has a very young family and is on incredible wages at United, it was always a bit of a longshot that he goes. And I think that's why you primarily see guys from South America make the China move - they were already living on a different continent, so swapping Europe for Asia is surely easier for them than the European players who are playing at home or at least close to home.

Until recently, I never thought he'd even consider a China move, but given that he's beaten the Charlton record (which was very important to him) and he's been pretty much frozen out at the club (he's the 3rd choice striker, and in attacking midfield he's probably option number 5 or 6 at this point), I think he really thought about it. Mourinho has set this up perfectly, but obviously you can't force the man to move to China.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #1388
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Radical, very unlikely thought.

What's the process to buying out a professional EPL players contract?
Pay salary owed in full?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #1389
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Shameful decision by Leicester. At the start of last season, you'd expect Leicester to be struggling now in the league. That's their rightful position to be honest.

However, in those 18 months, they WON the frickin league! Came first in their CL group, and are now in the last 16. How a manager can get fired for that is madness.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #1390
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Shameful decision by Leicester. At the start of last season, you'd expect Leicester to be struggling now in the league. That's their rightful position to be honest.

However, in those 18 months, they WON the frickin league! Came first in their CL group, and are now in the last 16. How a manager can get fired for that is madness.
I was actually pretty much expecting this.

Leicester dont have the chops or the squad to compete in all these different competitions, I fully expected them to prioritize the Champion's League and throw the rest of them. I wasnt expecting them to sandbag the League into a relegation battle, because thats pretty much the only thing that I think you can knock Ranieri for.

If they were mid-table in the League and doing this well in the CL I dont think anyone bats an eye.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #1391
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ranieri being fired is a disgrace as a few posters mentioned. They won the League title at 5000-1 odds, coach of the year, 1st in their Champions League group, and fighting a relegation battle after selling off their best, most dynamic player. There is no loyalty left in sports.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #1392
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Relegation is a huge thing. Managers always get fired to save a season

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #1393
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Ranieri being fired is a disgrace as a few posters mentioned. They won the League title at 5000-1 odds, coach of the year, 1st in their Champions League group, and fighting a relegation battle after selling off their best, most dynamic player. There is no loyalty left in sports.
Well it's easy to say in hindsight, but he should have done more selling high last summer. I don't think anyone expected them to repeat last season, so at that point you move guys like Vardy and Mahrez amongst others.

The Kante move is interesting because he is/was good, but even with Kante there this year it's not like they're suddenly a mid-table team. Mahrez last year was just excellent for them and earlier in the season in particular Vardy had that goal scoring streak going as well. This is exactly what they were expected to be; it's reversion to the mean in the most classic sense, and only a surprise if you bought the hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Relegation is a huge thing. Managers always get fired to save a season
I think it's probably beyond saving. In the name of loyalty they waited too long.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:36 AM   #1394
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read "disgrace" or sth similar very often since yesterday snd don't really get it. It's apparent that Ranieri had run out of ideas/been let down by the players and without a change they'd have been relegated.

People who pretend Leicester are such a small club need to realize they are the 24th richest club in Europe.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #1395
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because people want to cling to the hope that one day sports will again be primarily about sport itself, and not treat everything as a pure business decision. But if they get relegated, you can easily see them totally falling off the face of the earth once they lose all their top players. So not an easy decision to fire the man who brought you the greatest glory, but if he got them relegated he'd be fired anyway and they'd be in a potential free fall. Also agree they waited longer than they probably should have, it was clear he lost the players a while ago.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #1396
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I've read "disgrace" or sth similar very often since yesterday snd don't really get it. It's apparent that Ranieri had run out of ideas/been let down by the players and without a change they'd have been relegated.

People who pretend Leicester are such a small club need to realize they are the 24th richest club in Europe.
Okay, but thats something of a disingenuous statement though. They're the 24th richest club in Europe...now. After getting their Premier League Cash. They were a lot lower before that.

And even then, despite their wealth, I dont think anyone would argue against the assertion that their squad depth is still fairly thin.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #1397
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Leicester ARE a small club.

Their league win was their first ever. 0 FA Cup wins, 3 League Cup wins and a Charity Shield in 127 years. 8 years ago, they were in the third tier.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #1398
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. They're currently enjoying a windfall but overall I would put them alongside teams like Norwich in the championship and below teams like Newcastle, Villa.

The latter two they might have more money than currently but will never be as big as.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #1399
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ranieri should have retired this past offseason. It would have been a perfect way to go.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #1400
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
Ranieri should have retired this past offseason. It would have been a perfect way to go.
Honestly, I think he thought he could do it.

Man, if it wasnt for Leicester falling into a relegation battle I doubt they'd have canned him.

Like I said before, I figured he was sand-bagging the league in exchange for CL success and it seemed like it was more or less going according to plan except their League standing just fell too low.