Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #401
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son has his first ever Minor Hockey tryout this weekend for AA Atom (he has tried out for spring hockey the last three years and made the team every year). I'm not really that worried, but it is interesting how the mothers of the boys are reacting. Mothers of boys who have absolutely nothing to worry about in my opinion are freaking out. Lobbying the coach about selecting the best players. Other mothers who boys are probably on the bubble are talking about dropping out of hockey altogether. I feel sorry for the pressure some parents put on their kids at this age because of their personal fears and insecurities.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #402
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
My son has his first ever Minor Hockey tryout this weekend for AA Atom (he has tried out for spring hockey the last three years and made the team every year). I'm not really that worried, but it is interesting how the mothers of the boys are reacting. Mothers of boys who have absolutely nothing to worry about in my opinion are freaking out. Lobbying the coach about selecting the best players. Other mothers who boys are probably on the bubble are talking about dropping out of hockey altogether. I feel sorry for the pressure some parents put on their kids at this age because of their personal fears and insecurities.
Many parents measure themselves based on the level of sport their children play.

It is pathetic.

Good Luck to your Boy.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #403
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moms can be the worst. My wife is always incensed when she sees where our son has evaluated. Always thinks he should be higher. I tell her I watched every skate and he's exactly where he is supposed to be. They're looking at skating skills. His are still evolving.

I also think he could be higher, but his effort level needs to be better. That's on him, not the people evaluating.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #404
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Moms can be the worst. My wife is always incensed when she sees where our son has evaluated. Always thinks he should be higher. I tell her I watched every skate and he's exactly where he is supposed to be. They're looking at skating skills. His are still evolving.

I also think he could be higher, but his effort level needs to be better. That's on him, not the people evaluating.
I know of many kids who were not at a high level in atom who have ended up playing at the quadrant level as Bantam/midget but it is about building their fundamentals so your perspective is a good one!
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #405
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I know of many kids who were not at a high level in atom who have ended up playing at the quadrant level as Bantam/midget but it is about building their fundamentals so your perspective is a good one!
Same thing happened with me. I blossomed in Peewee after a very mediocre start. It was all about skating, skating and more skating.

My kid is better than me, I think, if we compare skill at the same age. I'm not sure he has my competitive drive, but that may come later.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #406
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hah View Post
Our community association has one of the goalie schools do the goaltender evaluations, which would seem like a fair process.

However the kids in the competitors goalie school seem to not make the higher teams.
Ours does too, and I've heard similar things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Many parents measure themselves based on the level of sport their children play.

It is pathetic.

I stole this quote from somewhere and have used it in my parent meeting we have at the beginning of the season. I like it and think there is a lot of truth in it, I just wish more parents understood it too:

'Your child's success or lack of success in sports does not indicate what kind of parent you are. But, having an athlete who is coachable, respectful, a great teammate, mentally tough, resilient, and tries their best IS a direct reflection of your parenting.'
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #407
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great quote Lubicon. It's so true, and I think a lot of parents don't understand that. Especially at my sons age just coming out of novice going into Atom. Kids who could take the puck and score their three goals every game sometimes have a tough time adjusting to tiered or elite Novice hockey. The competition is better, you are not going to score three goals a game. Parents of these kids are im shock thinking their boy needs more work. More schools more clinics. instead of wanting or expecting their kids to become complete players.

A friend of mine who has a boy the same age as mine. His son used to be a scoring machine in Dynamite and Novice. He has slowed down a bit, but in my opinion has a become a great all around player for his age. He forechecks, he backchecks, and is a hell of a play maker. But because his goal production has slowed down his parents are worried he is falling behind.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #408
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I stole this quote from somewhere and have used it in my parent meeting we have at the beginning of the season. I like it and think there is a lot of truth in it, I just wish more parents understood it too:

'Your child's success or lack of success in sports does not indicate what kind of parent you are. But, having an athlete who is coachable, respectful, a great teammate, mentally tough, resilient, and tries their best IS a direct reflection of your parenting.'
I have seen that before, many times in fact.

My daughter is never the strongest player on the team, usually she is in the bottom 1/3 of the team, yet she focuses at practice, listens, and engages her coaches. For me that is a huge win. She still has ex-coaches that stop to talk to her and speak to her about how she is doing.

Quote:
Old 09-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #409
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

My sons tryout went pretty good on the weekend. They have cut roughly half the group, with another skate coming mid week. Getting back to Mom's freaking out. One mother was so nervous she started crying before the kids even started any drills. Another mom went running up to one of the coaches immediately after her sons session to explain that her son didn't look good because he had a cold. Coach wasn't amused.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:49 PM   #410
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My sons community evaluations start tonight - many of the boys he was friendly with made the various quadrant teams, so he will need to forge some new relationships.

I hope he can quickly find his groove as I'd hate to see him on team 3 again.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #411
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Grief.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/21...ts-in-hockey-2
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #412
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don't care one bit what division my son plays in as long as he is having fun, and being reasonably challenged.

Are the parents "worse" in the higher divisions? I have not seen many problems in the middle and lower divisions. Spring hockey was bad - coaches got into a fight at one game, and really upset the kids.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #413
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I guess they want to protect refs from abuse?

My son has told me many times how the losing team is often abusive (verbally and physically) in the hand shake line-up. Some kids are so wound up, and are crying after a loss.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #414
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that's insane.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #415
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I don't care one bit what division my son plays in as long as he is having fun, and being reasonably challenged.

Are the parents "worse" in the higher divisions? I have not seen many problems in the middle and lower divisions. Spring hockey was bad - coaches got into a fight at one game, and really upset the kids.
Spring Hockey Sucks balls.

To your other post, this is all on adults and adults only.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #416
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the three years my son has played spring hockey things have been really civil. However we did run across some drama at a 3 on 3 tournament a couple weeks ago. But it came down to one bad apple. I wonder if the kid and dad are banned from thier minor hockey association, because honestly, I can't see anyone putting up with their crap for any length of time. Imagine the worst possible behaviour by a nine year old player and a father coach who cares nothing about sportmanship and only about winning through intimidation. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. Thing is, a jerk like that can really bring out the worst in other people, which is what they want, and things escalate from there. Sad really.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #417
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw that piece about he ref's - it is disappointing, but I get it.

too bad though - even if the refs have a tough game, they should be thanked for their efforts.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #418
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I saw that piece about he ref's - it is disappointing, but I get it.

too bad though - even if the refs have a tough game, they should be thanked for their efforts.
It is ridiculous.

Last yeah in an Atom game a coach was yelling at the ref so much the boy welled up, the coach asked if he needed "his mommy to cry".

Quote:
Old 09-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #419
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

For me its not where my son plays but how he plays with.

Mccree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #420
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It is ridiculous.

Last yeah in an Atom game a coach was yelling at the ref so much the boy welled up, the coach asked if he needed "his mommy to cry".
You know that a jerk like that, is going to treat people like that in all situations in life. I know emotions run high, but people need to be civil. I don't like yelling at refs at all. They are volunteers and without them, there wouldn't be a game. Plus most rinks and minor hockey associations have zero tolerance for abuse of officials, players or coaches. Maybe that is never really enforced.