Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #1101
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arfield just scored a 91' winner(?) for Burnley.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #1102
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

South Korea vs Canada Highlights from this morning

Spoiler!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #1103
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Appears as if the WC is going to 48 teams in 2026, as it's on FIFA's yearly docket this week.

In addition to this given even less excuses for the CSA (seriously, teams that have never made it will be almost shoe-in in this format, nevermind a team that should be top 5 constantly in its Federation like Canada) not to make it, it means a lot more "Iceland" stories as the minnows upset the sharks.

An expanded tourney also means that hosting becomes that much more of an endeavor for a host country. A Canada/US jointly hosted WC would make a lot more sense in 2026 or 2030.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #1104
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Teams that are clearly ahead of us in Concacaf right now:

Mexico, Costa Rica, U.S, Panama, Honduras

Teams that are close to even with us:

Jamaica, T&T.

If Concacaf got an extra spot or two for World Cup 2022, do I think we'd make it? Not at the moment.

However, we have some great young players (age 16-20ish) that can change the trajectory of our program - Alphonso Davies, Ballou Tabla, Cyle Larin etc etc. Fast, dynamic attacking players, the opposite of the typical Canadian Kyle Bekker national teamer that only lives to back pass

I'm more optimistic than I've been since the 90s. Our program is slowly shaping up (rumoured Canadian premier league, expanded Canadian domestic spots in MLS) to be consistently better.

We need a manager that believes in our players (the opposite of Floro) and we need the players to have a breakthrough moment at some point to build enthusiasm in this country.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #1105
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #1106
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CSA are holding a "major press conference" Friday, where it is rumoured they will announce their new head coach. Sounds like it's Ecuadorian Octavio Zambrano, who coached in MLS for 6 years as well as in Moldova, Hungary, Colombia and Ecuador.

Personally I think it's great the CSA actually has a coach in place leading up to the 2017 Gold Cup, and I don't have any opinion on Zambrano one way or the other, but I don't think this hire will make any more or any less difference than any other heads coach that's been hired. It's the lack of talent being developed and drawn from that's the real problem for the national team.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/sourc...er-team-coach/

They have also confirmed that they will be unveiling their 2017 away kit, and will announce the roster for their March 22 friendly against Scotland on Saturday as well. Before anyone shouts "CALL UP ALPHONSO DAVIES", I don't think he has his Canadian passport yet.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 12:43 AM   #1107
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The CSA are holding a "major press conference" Friday, where it is rumoured they will announce their new head coach. Sounds like it's Ecuadorian Octavio Zambrano, who coached in MLS for 6 years as well as in Moldova, Hungary, Colombia and Ecuador.

Personally I think it's great the CSA actually has a coach in place leading up to the 2017 Gold Cup, and I don't have any opinion on Zambrano one way or the other, but I don't think this hire will make any more or any less difference than any other heads coach that's been hired. It's the lack of talent being developed and drawn from that's the real problem for the national team.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/sourc...er-team-coach/

They have also confirmed that they will be unveiling their 2017 away kit, and will announce the roster for their March 22 friendly against Scotland on Saturday as well. Before anyone shouts "CALL UP ALPHONSO DAVIES", I don't think he has his Canadian passport yet.
That sounds alright. I didn't like how in 2013 they hired Floro but he didn't actually take over until after the gold cup.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #1108
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cannot believe how strong a kid Davies is. Would be frustrating to defend against. Fingers crossed for continued development.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #1109
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada plays Scotland today in a friendly, and it is apparently going to be streamed on the CSA web site and also on TSN GO. 1:45 MT kickoff.

Unrelated question: Does anyone know who holds the broadcast rights in Canada for the Gold Cup this summer? Two years ago it was on Sportsnet, but lately it seems like TSN is half-assedly stepping up to broadcast some of the Canadian national team matches.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #1110
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Fraser Arid makes us actually look like we have some idea of what to do on attack.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #1111
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Fraser Arid makes us actually look like we have some idea of what to do on attack.
He is having a good match. Nice to see the speed an energy up front.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #1112
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is an interesting match for me, as I'm a supporter of Canada (obviously), but also Norwich City. Naismith and Russell Martin are current Canaries, while Chris Martin, Snodgrass, and Simeon Jackson are former Canaries. So there is plenty to watch in this one.

Country before club though!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #1113
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The game shouldn't conflict you in any way.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #1114
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

1-1 is a good result for Canada. Seemed up for it and brought a bit of pace. Would have loved them to steal it, but Canada will be pleased with that.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #1115
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Coming back to this, I realized I confused Arfield with Arid. Probably the nicest thing I'll ever say about Arid.. haha.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #1116
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

You sure about that? Consensus among Canadian supporters is that Aird was man of the match, and that Arfield was average against Scotland (although I thought he paired well with Piette in midfield). He was really the only player who consistently drove at the Scottish back line.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #1117
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
You sure about that? Consensus among Canadian supporters is that Aird was man of the match, and that Arfield was average against Scotland (although I thought he paired well with Piette in midfield). He was really the only player who consistently drove at the Scottish back line.
So my eyes weren't deceiving me. I looked at the game sheet, and it was for sure 12.

What the hell happened to Aird!? I don't remember him showing anything like that previously.

I mean, that is awesome, and I hope he keeps progressing, but that was night and day since last time I saw him play.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #1118
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fraser Aird left Rangers in Glasgow and was loaned to the WhiteCaps. He is now playing for Falkirk in the Scottish Championship so he has been getting regular practice and playing time.

I would also add that Aird has likely played with and against most of the Scotland side, and would want to do well.

Arfield would be the same, especially as he probably should have been capped by Scotland already. Apparently most of Arfield's relatives are unhappy with choosing Canada, but his dad is ecstatic!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #1119
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

In big news for the national team, Alphonso Davies has passed his citizenship test and will take his Oath of Citizenship today. Spoilered for picture size.

NSFW!

Canada Soccer‏Verified account @CanadaSoccerEN 14m14 minutes ago
Congratulations to new Canadian Alphonso Davies who passed his citizenship test and will take his Oath of Citizenship today in Vancouver.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #1120
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good timing, just in time for our one chance to cap tie players until World Cup Qualifying restarts. Bring on the Gold Cup!
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post: