Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #61
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am expecting an improvement. This means top three in division, win a playoff round, and don't get swept by the Oilers.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:43 AM   #62
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Repeat of last season.Hardly any of the issues from last year's team will be resolved by any new additions or dismissals,they barely scrape into the playoffs and win one more game than last year before being eliminated.Optimistic for a marginal improvement at best,but realistically seeing none at all.
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:47 AM   #63
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fighting with the Ducks and Oilers for first in the division.

If the Flames win the division, they'll probably roll through to the conference finals or further. Depends largely on what D they get and what they do to get someone to play with Gaudreau and Monahan.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:53 AM   #64
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The same as every season

A bubble team, that if they make it will lose in the first round

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 AM   #65
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Assuming the Kings and Stars are improved, a playoff spot will be tough.
I see no reason why the Kings would be. People have been saying they will bounce back to contending status for a few years now. But most of their top players are declining, and they haven't added anything notable, so I don't know where a sudden jump would come from.

Unless Bishop stands on his head, I don't see why the Stars will be too much different with the same defense corps, and their overall porous team defense. Backchecking does not appear to be something they stress very hard down there, judging by some of the games we witnessed. I don't think they will set up any goalie to have much success tbqh.

I see more reason for the Flames to improve than either of those teams, since a few top players have potential to bounce back from a subpar season, many young players growing further into their roles, and Smith in all likelihood will not be as high/low/inconsistent as Elliott, and couldn't be worse to start if he tried. The team system is in place now. So you probably have less of a hole to dig out of to start.

A lot more pressure on Dallas and LA to up their games to have a chance at displacing Calgary, if anything.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-21-2017 at 02:00 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:03 AM   #66
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

At least split with the Oilers.

Win in Anaheim.

Don't flirt with a lost season 1-2 months in (aka a better start).

Make the playoffs.

Don't get swept.

Go from there..
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #67
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
My expectation is that fans realize that Bennet is what he is a 20 goal 40 point player; which is not a bad thing.

INB4 he's only 20
That's just stupid talk. Not many players have peaked at his age. Troll attempt I guess?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #68
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe many underestimate the continuing maturation and amelioration of the Flames young core.

The team has Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Hamilton, Ferland , Jankowski, Lazar , Andersson, Parsons, Gillies etc. , who are all nowhere near being finished products.

Still early in the rebuild. Give them more time, that's what they need.

Will be very much a playoff contender but not close to being a championship threat.

All about growth.

Last edited by timbit; 06-21-2017 at 07:15 AM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #69
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best thing is not to have any expectations. That way I am never disappointed.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #70
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1) (At least) Tie the season series with the Oilers. Should be do-able with more consistent goaltending. I feel like there were a lot of factors that led to us getting swept mainly including Grossmann and Elliott. I don't think they're all that much better than us (if at all) and their record outside of their otherworldly 7-1 start justifies that.

2) Win the season series with the Ducks (including one at that cursed rink which we shall not name). Man, when is this team going to go away? I for one think we definitely outplayed them in the PO's and were done over by ridiculous bounces against, along with our top line shooting literally 0% at even strength while maintaining dominant possession numbers. Yes their d-core is young and enviable, but at the same time we have so much more internal growth that's just ready to take place. Bennett was just beginning to blossom last April and even had Bob Murray take notice (to the point where he publicly singled him out as a player that blew him away). Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk are still all super young and are not yet done getting better (especially Tkachuk who is just scraping at his potential. No reason why he's can't be a Corey Perry / Jamie Benn type of franchise winger as long as he continues to work hard on his skating). Not to mention our young 6'4 220lb gazelle of a center in Jankowski that possess the tools to become a dominant forward in this league. Size, skating, hands, vision, shot, defensive acumen... You name it, he has it. Whether he puts it together is still yet to be seen, but his raw tools alone should guarantee that he becomes at least an NHL'er in some sort of capacity.

3) At least a .915 sv% from our starting goaltender. Not much to say here. I have faith in Smith (as long as he's healthy).

Last edited by Love; 06-21-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #71
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Be entertaining/ exciting to watch. All I ever hope for. Anything else is gravy
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #72
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Another thing... AN "A" ON BACKLUND'S SWEATER. Not many in this organization that bleed more 'Flaming C' than him. I think he could be an awesome captain if he was given the chance. Amazing human being, willing to run through a wall for his teammates and leads by example. It disgusts me that Brouwer wears was given an assistant captaincy role over him.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 06-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #73
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok with us getting rid of a bunch of futures, it appears our window is opening. Our top 4 D is rock solid now. I'm definitely starting to expect big things!
Old 06-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #74
bcneil
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcneil View Post
Make the playoffs and win at least 2 games.
LOL. I am already going to amend my expectations. After today with our new top 4D being crazy. Second in the division and at least 2 round.
bcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #75
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Conference Final or bust.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #76
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Flames traded away their first pick next year(you don't do that when the draft is a year away), so they better do something good.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #77
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Another thing... AN "A" ON BACKLUND'S SWEATER. Not many in this organization that bleed more 'Flaming C' than him. I think he could be an awesome captain if he was given the chance. Amazing human being, willing to run through a wall for his teammates and leads by example. It disgusts me that Brouwer wears was given an assistant captaincy role over him.
I think it's a safe bet that Brouwer loses his letter and it ends up on Backlund
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #78
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conference Finals. At bare Minimum.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #79
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cup