Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #21
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well we can bump it then as well, but regardless of what happens with all the questions to be answered, I am expecting a playoff caliber team and that expectation won't change.

Of course if we traded Gaudreau/Monahan/Backlund/Hamilton/Tkachuk for Ovechkin and a 1st, then I suppose my expectation would change.

I expect the #4-#6 slots to be handled with something competent, the backup to be something decent or Gillies/Rittich (both I would be fine with), the expansion draft to not hurt us at all, and the entry draft to draft someone that could help in 3 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Wow, this thread is premature.

We don't even know who our 4-6 defensemen are going to be, or who our backup goaltender is likely to be.

It seems like there are a LOT of questions to be answered in the coming weeks after the following:

1) Expansion draft; INCLUDING all the trades that are likely to happen through Vegas.

2) Entry draft; INCLUDING all the trades that are likely to happen on draft day.

3) Free agency; ESPECIALLY with a new franchise creating 23 more NHL jobs and removing a roster player from each of the other 30 NHL teams, and thus diluting the talent pool. This will increase the demand for quality NHL players without changing the supply significantly. I imagine there will be a LOT of competition for free agents.

I feel like this thread should be locked until we see how we fair, as well as all of our competitors. Only then could there be a realistic answer.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Cali. We should wait until mid July before declaring anything.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #23
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beat the Oilers. Win in Anaheim. Make the playoffs.

Is that too much to ask?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #24
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably the same old tacky home jersey
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #25
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Smith doesn't regress due to age, the Flames replace Stone with a competent #4 defenceman, and Vegas takes Brouwer allowing the Flames to use the cap space/roster spot on upgrades (or a legit replacement): Conference Finalists at minimum.

If Smith regresses due to age, Stone is the #4 defenceman, and Brouwer continues getting top six minutes: Fighting for 8th spot and first round causality if they make it in.

And everything else in between. Way too early to say.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #26
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I like it, we've got a solidly positive group around here. A lot of relatively lofty expectations. I on the other hand will choose to be jaded and cynical.

I expect a lottery team. The Mike Smith experiment self destructs in the most Hindenburgian way possible. Nothing works out well, 4-6 on D is a revolving door, and Bennett doesn't have the break out year he needs.

See now no matter what happens I will be happy. Either I can pat myself on the back for having the foresight to see how it would go or be overjoyed that my expectations were blown out of the water. It's a win/win.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #27
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im going to wait to see what happens over the next couple weeks.

I think Tre might surprise us with a sweet Vegas deal.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #28
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I agree with Cali. We should wait until mid July before declaring anything.
I don't see this as declaring much of anything. The topic of the thread is expectations for the season and the context is pre-expansion draft. It should go without saying that everything in the thread is subject to revision if there are any major developments or disappointments such as Treliving failing to sign a top 4 D. But... not acquiring a top 4 D would be out of character so in my own speculation on the season I am working off the assumption that something satisfactory gets done.
Savvy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #29
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people can answer the question based on where they think the team is broadly in its life cycle - are they still re-building or should we expect them to start taking steps towards being a contender? Yes there are some open questions but the core is pretty set.
I don't view it as declaring anything but a simple pulse check on where people are thinking this team is.

For me I expect playoffs, more consistent performance from key players as a result of maturity, and them to at minimum contend for the division. I would further expect them not to simply go out 4 straight.

I don't see them as being too different from the Preds team that just went to the finals.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #30
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can see the Flames being better than last year but still don't expect much beyond them making the playoffs. We look at our own team through a lens of everything that went bad for the team going better this year. I get it. I think they should have a better start, I think that Smith should be a slight upgrade on Elliott on the whole, and that Brodie, Bennett, Gaudreau and Monahan should all have better years than last year. But what if we lose more man games to injury than last year. What if some of the underachievers have a better season next year but guys that had great years dip a little?

Not sure about the Kings but I expect the Jets and Stars to have significantly better years than last year. I hope for the best but don't see why the Flames would be ahead of any of the teams that finished ahead of them in the Pacific this year except maybe San Jose.

Maybe Treliving swings some "wizardry" in free agency that improves my outlook but I don't see why the Flames are expected to contend or win the division or win one or two rounds in the playoffs. It would be great if they did but in my opinion, that would be exceeding expectations.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #31
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Too early for the snek?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #32
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Not sure about the Kings but I expect the Jets and Stars to have significantly better years than last year. I hope for the best but don't see why the Flames would be ahead of any of the teams that finished ahead of them in the Pacific this year except maybe San Jose.
If the Flames finish ahead of both the aging, diminishing Kings and Sharks—which seems fairly likely—then it doesn't matter what any of the Central Div. teams do. Moreover, the difference between the Flames and Oilers last year was their season series. The Flames will not drop all their games to the Oilers again this year, and it seems realistic to see this as a difference maker once again in where both teams finish.

All told, I think it unlikely for the Flames to miss the playoffs in 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #33
bcneil
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Make the playoffs and win at least 2 games.
bcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #34
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hockey in May or it's a fail. Being "a couple of years away" is about three years old now.

For the summer I'd to see the Flames add a D or even two, a RW and a good backup goalie. I'm a little bit underwhelmed with the Mike Smith trade. I'd think for it to work he has to have a backup that pushes him.

And for Treliving, just take the day off July 1st. There is no benefit to having bad contracts like Wideman coming off the books if you are still bringing in Mayson Raymonds and Troy Brouwers to replace them.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #35
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Beat the Oilers and Canucks at all home games.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #36
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Hockey in May or it's a fail. Being "a couple of years away" is about three years old now...
No, it is not.

Three years ago at this time the Flames were looking at drafting #4, which was the highest point they had ever entered the draft since moving to Calgary. Three years ago it was widely expected that this would be a lottery team that was just starting to re-construct their core, and I think most fans and certainly everyone within the Flames org. was settling in for a five or six year rebuild. This team is one of the youngest in the NHL and they have made the playoffs twice in the past three years. It is fair to expect them to do so again this year because they have already demonstrated that they are definitely capable. But this is ahead of schedule: the Flames's window to win is not yet open, and probably won't be for another year or two at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-20-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #37
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Win a game at the Honda Center. Preferably game 6 to win our second round playoff series, but regular season works too.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #38
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the beginning of the rebuild, and especially since Gaudreau and Monahan came on board, I have been thinking/expecting that 17/18 would be the breakout year. I'm not saying cup-bound, but it's time to take the next step and become a legitimate, competitive team.

Regardless of what transpires this summer, I still expect that and will be disappointed if it doesn't come to be.

I expect some of the young guys to take a step forward, and I expect the team to start gelling like a good team should.

Last season, a lot went wrong. I hope this season reverses that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #39
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Win the division. May the best team win in the playoffs.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #40
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too soon for me to set expectations when the roster could change significantly between now and October. I'll have a better sense closer to the regular season.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote