Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:
Default 2017 Tennis Thread

What does 2017 hold for the world of tennis?

Can Milos win a major?

Will Genie rebound?

Canada opens Davis Cup play versus GB in Ottawa Feb 3:
http://www.tenniscanada.com/tennis-c...st-round-play/

Roger Federer wants to play for a few more years: http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/i...2-3-more-years

What happens with Novak Djokovic?

Looking forward to the Australian Open
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Genie dropped her first match of 2017, which was a three set loss (2-6, 6-2, 1-6) to Shelby Rogers in Brisbane.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Rankings going into 2017

Men:
3. Milos Raonic
133. Vasek Pospisil
135. Peter Polansky
166. Steven Diez
241. Frank Dancevic
250. Denis Shapovalov
307. Philip Bester
446. Brayden Schnur
509. Filip Oeliwo
613. Felix Auger-Aliassime

Women:
46. Eugene Bouchard
175. Francoise Abanda
296. Bianca Andreescu
301. Aleksandra Wozniak
442. Gabriela Dabrowski
498. Carol Zhao

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy New Year to all you tennis nuts who frequent this thread - I hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2017 and for lots of Canadian victories on the tennis court.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Rankings going into 2017

Men:
133. Vasek Pospisil
That's quite the drop for Vasek, as I think he's a top 50 player, but he needs to prove it on the court. He's got a new coach now and managed to record some pretty good results late in 2016, so here's hoping he can stay healthy and have a good 2017.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Vasek, he lost 7-5 6-0 to Fernando Verdasco at the ATP 250 event in Qatar. Verdasco is currently ranked #42 in the world.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old man Nestor keeps recording the doubles wins...

In other first-round doubles matches in Brisbane, fourth seeds Daniel Nestor/Edouard Roger-Vasselin opened up their season with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Jean-Julien Rojer/Horia Tecau
Old 01-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the way, Milos is the top seed in Brisbane in the singles draw and has a potential quarter-final clash with Rafa.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So here are some realistic goals I'd like to see from the Canadians this year:

Milos: Make another major final, finish in the top 4 again. I know this is kind of boring, but I still think his time to actually win a major will be starting next year. Andy has taken it to another level, and I expect Novak to find his motivation again. And that they'll win all 4 majors next year

Genie: Win a tournament, finish in the top 25. She just needs to build the confidence up again this year. Last year wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. She needs to get that arrow pointing up again though.

Vasek: Win another doubles major, stay healthy all year, finish in the top 50. Whether it's PopSock or with old man Nestor, winning another doubles major would be such a massive boost for him.

Denis: Qualify for a major, finish inside the top 150, win a challenger. And get everyone to fall in love with the one handed lefty backhand.

Felix: More challenger events, qualify for a major, finish inside the top 250. And get some buzz going in the tennis world about being the next big thing

Abanda: Win a challenger, qualify for multiple majors, finish inside the top 100. Saw some good things the second half of last year. Can she find the consistency?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that the author of this piece cites the improvements that Milos has made and also points out that top guys like Federer, Nadal, and Wawrinka aren't getting any younger, but winds up predicting that Milos will drop a couple of spots in the ATP rankings? Oh well, it's just a prediction.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/...an-open/63001/
Old 01-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another win for Daniel Nestor and partner Edouard Roger-Vasselin in Brisbane (they had to go the distance 6-3 2-6 11-9)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
That's quite the drop for Vasek, as I think he's a top 50 player, but he needs to prove it on the court. He's got a new coach now and managed to record some pretty good results late in 2016, so here's hoping he can stay healthy and have a good 2017.

He has 24 tournaments on his record from last year so I think that is a slight miscalculation. Everyone has bumps and bruises and has to pull out of matches...Vasek's biggest issue is his erratic ground strokes leading to him consistently hitting the ball long, which is symptomatic of a player that is typically over matched and trying to throttle the ball. He really has just not been a good player for the last 12-15 months.

I do like the guy but I highly doubt he ever gets back into the top 50 as a single player. Top 75 maybe. I'd like to see his team focus on more smallish, winnable events this year in the hopes he boosts his confidence. Perhaps switching to a serve and volley style of play to maximize his above average net play would be a good move as well. Right now is just a world of hurt as he pretty much has to qualify for every tournament he plays.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 01-04-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Hot_Flatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #13
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
He has 24 tournaments on his record from last year so I think that is a slight miscalculation. Everyone has bumps and bruises and has to pull out of matches...Vasek's biggest issue is his erratic ground strokes leading to him consistently hitting the ball long, which is symptomatic of a player that is typically over matched and trying to throttle the ball. He really has just not been a good player for the last 12-15 months.

I do like the guy but I highly doubt he ever gets back into the top 50 as a single player. Top 75 maybe. I'd like to see his team focus on more smallish, winnable events this year in the hopes he boosts his confidence. Perhaps switching to a serve and volley style of play to maximize his above average net play would be a good move as well. Right now is just a world of hurt as he pretty much has to qualify for every tournament he plays.
Yeah, last year was a fairly healthy year for Vasek, I guess I was thinking more of previous years when he was battling back issues. To think it was Milos versus Vasek in the 2013 Rogers Cup semi-final and it was starting to look like both guys were going to continue to rise up the singles rankings. Milos certainly hasn't disappointed, but it's been a tough go for Vasek in singles (he does have that Wimbledon doubles grand slam championship though).
Old 01-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #14
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, last year was a fairly healthy year for Vasek, I guess I was thinking more of previous years when he was battling back issues. To think it was Milos versus Vasek in the 2013 Rogers Cup semi-final and it was starting to look like both guys were going to continue to rise up the singles rankings. Milos certainly hasn't disappointed, but it's been a tough go for Vasek in singles (he does have that Wimbledon doubles grand slam championship though).
I think he wasn't viewed as playing much or unhealthy simply because he was always out of tournaments in the first round last season. I honestly think this tumbling down the rankings might be just what he needs to refocus and become a consistent top 100 singles player for the rest of his career.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 01-05-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Hot_Flatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #15
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Milos to face Rafa in the quarter-finals in Brisbane.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #16
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Milos wins a tough three setter against Rafa (4-6 6-3 6-4) and will next face Dimitrov in the semi-finals.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #17
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

A pretty good start for Vasek on the doubles front for 2017 as well - He and partner Radek Stepanek made it to the final at the ATP event in Qatar, unfortunately they dropped that match to Fabrice Martin and Jeremy Chardy of France (6-4, 7-6)
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Milos wins a tough three setter against Rafa (4-6 6-3 6-4) and will next face Dimitrov in the semi-finals.
Excellent start to the year in his attempt to defend the Brisbane title. A win today would mark the third straight year he's been in the final of this event.

Looks like the new racquet is working well.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #19
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

No third straight Brisbane final for Milos as baby Fed wins 7-6(7), 6-2. Milos did not serve very well in this match (below 50%)
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #20
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Novak blew three championship points on his serve, Murray fights back and now into a third set. Quality match.