Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #761
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, I hope the Raps don't deal Val for a pick in this years' draft. Would've been nice if they could've moved to the top 4 with Val+pick, but now it's just not worth it.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #762
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@WojverticalNBA:
The Toronto Raptors will select Indiana's OG Anunoby with the No. 23 pick, league source tells @TheVertical. Live: https://t.co/pVi69FXz4V

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #763
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Verdict on the pick? Didn't follow prospects much in recent years. From the videos he looks like a pretty big bodied player, but somewhat heavy legged (literally) with lacking that explosive quickness. At 23 it's unlikely to be anyone special but I always hold out a little hope.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #764
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just what I've read so far...Could've been a top 10 pick but suffered season ending injury in January. Apparently he's relentless on defense (Khawai style). Doesn't have a jumper. Can guard multiple positions.

Maybe someone they're thinking of guarding Lebron, but by the time he's ready Lebron would've likely moved on...
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #765
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he could be a better version of Carroll, being able to guard everything but centers is always a valuable thing. Offensively he needs work and he'll probably never be anything more than an off ball guy, but since he'll be most likely missing the whole year maybe they can spend time working on his mechanics and he can become a reliable 40% guy from three.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #766
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a good shooter

Chad ford gave 4 winners in then first round and had raptors as one of them, said OG could be best 3 and D player in the draft.

In the scouting profile the positives were

Quote:
. Long athletic wing
Elite athlete
NBA body
Can lockdown multiple positions
Good shooter with range
Finishes above the rim
Only negatives were outside the shot he's raw offensively and also the injury concern

It's a boom or bust pick, which at 23 is great value
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #767
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I like it a lot. I didn't follow the scouting as much this year, but the Raptors fan forum I follow was excited about him going back a few weeks, but few people thought he'd realistically drop to the Raptors. Raptors have really embraced positional versatility, which I think is really positive, and OG is a good fit for that. Raptors have done a good job developing shooters like Powell and Ross, and if they can refine his shot then that's a great fit for the modern NBA.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #768
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ouch. Butlers trainer calling Forman a *liar*.

@travellegaines:
Quote:
0-82.worst culture in the league.I met drug dealers with better morals then their GM. He is a liar and everyone knows

Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #769
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going back home to OKC?

WojVerticalNBA:
Quote:
Sources: Clippers All-Star forward Blake Griffin has opted out of his contract to become a free agent.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #770
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blake is gonna be an interesting FA. If this were 2014 or so basically every team would be in on him. But the injury concerns are pilling up so it's certainly a big risk now. OKC seems like the best fit though, but I suspect someone like the Knicks will offer him a stupid contract and he'll go there.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #771
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Celtics kick off summer league against the Sixers, nice little Tatum vs Fultz matchup
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #772
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Blake is gonna be an interesting FA. If this were 2014 or so basically every team would be in on him. But the injury concerns are pilling up so it's certainly a big risk now. OKC seems like the best fit though, but I suspect someone like the Knicks will offer him a stupid contract and he'll go there.
I am sure Lebron James will ask him to join his team. Tired of teams buying off championship.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #773
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless Griffin is willing to sign for MLE-type money ($5 million a season), I'm not sure there's a realistic way Cleveland can swing that, they're really deep into the tax. A move as simple as retaining Korver at a still-below-market-value $10 million would actually cost them about $50 million per season after tax, and that's a guy that they have bird rights for. As a tax team they can't take any players back in a sign-and-trade, and to get under the tax they'd need to drop over $20 million in salary, but that's not including the room that they'd need to sign a free agent. Even if you got Griffin to agree to something cheap like $15 million, you'd need to drop $35 million from the current payroll. So you'd need to do something like trading Love, Shumpert, and Jefferson away and essentially get next to nothing, cap-wise back (just prospects and picks). But once you used that space to sign Blake (or some other free agent), you'd be back up against the cap and you'd be back to signing guys willing to sign for peanuts to go after a championship. Which there are some of certainly, but it's a tough way to finish a team, and I don't think it gets you ahead of the current core of the team. That said, it does save you a bunch of money in the short term, gets you under the tax, and allows you to avoid the repeater rate for a few more years.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #774
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Marc Stein‏@ESPNSteinLine
League sources: Cavs, Pacers and Nuggets have discussed a three-way deal that would land Paul George in Cleveland and Kevin Love in Denver
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #775
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanna see that trade happen just to see Jokic and Love passing the ball. Not exactly sure what Indiana gets out of it that makes it worth it for them.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #776
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they're gonna get Nuggets to pay Pacers the young assets the covet. NBA is a joke.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #777
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
So they're gonna get Nuggets to pay Pacers the young assets the covet. NBA is a joke.
I totally agree. Star players like Lebron James seems to be running the league the past few seasons. They just assemble all the star players in one team so they can win championships. Makes you wonder why both the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers had an easy playoff games blowing up the scores against teams that can't afford to assemble superstars. If I am a season ticket holder in Indiana, Toronto, Oklahoma or other teams that can't afford to field a super team I would be so ticked off. Let me guess, Golden State vs Cleveland championship - Part 4 already next season.

I used to watch NBA games a lot especially the regular seasons. Not so much anymore since Lebron, Bosh and Wade got together in Miami.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 04:17 AM   #778
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
I totally agree. Star players like Lebron James seems to be running the league the past few seasons. They just assemble all the star players in one team so they can win championships. Makes you wonder why both the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers had an easy playoff games blowing up the scores against teams that can't afford to assemble superstars. If I am a season ticket holder in Indiana, Toronto, Oklahoma or other teams that can't afford to field a super team I would be so ticked off. Let me guess, Golden State vs Cleveland championship - Part 4 already next season.

I used to watch NBA games a lot especially the regular seasons. Not so much anymore since Lebron, Bosh and Wade got together in Miami.
Lebron, Wade and Bosh got together in Miami to stop Garnett, Pierce, Allen and Rondo getting together in Boston... But that doesn't fit your narrative
Old 06-26-2017, 04:21 AM   #779
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Honestly good for Lebron for doing what he can to stop the Golden State Warriors from ruining basketball. Lebron never formed an unbeatable team like the Warriors did. Remove Lebron from the Heat/Cavs and they don't sniff the finals, remove KD from the Warriors and that's a 73 win team. It's funny that the Cavs go 12-1 through the first three rounds of the 'offs and STILL nobody but the most delusional of diehard fans (me) gave them any sort of fighting chance to win that series. The purpose of sports is to compete. Those Heat teams had their fair share of battles with the Bulls/Spurs/Mavs/Pacers/Celtics etc, can't say the same about these Warriors, where the outcome is but a foregone conclusion. Go out and get Melo, PG, Rondo, Demarcus or whoever you need Lebron. The sooner that team gets taken down, the sooner KD and his mom flee elsewhere again and the natural balance in the NBA can be restored.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:47 AM   #780
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the goal was "beating the Celtics", then what does that say about LeBron, Wade and Bosh that the big three of Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis beat the Celtics in the playoffs? Oh yeah, that big three is pretty much awful. As far as Golden State "ruining basketball", well....they're ruining the NBA as far as a competitive product that's worth watching, but they play exceptional basketball, far nicer to watch than any team LeBron has ever been on. So no, they are not ruining basketball and in fact basketball would be much better if every team played like the Warriors.

Also, swapping Love and taking on Paul George doesn't really change the equation. Cavs still need a borderline miracle to win a best of seven against the Warriors. Their bench is still trash, and now they have to play Tristan Thompson a lot more and his non-existent offensive game.

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba