Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2016, 05:39 AM   #41
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
Would like to see them let DeRozan go, but I doubt it. Powell, despite the terrific end of his season, isn't proven enough and Ross doesn't look like he'll ever be ready. DeRozan looks like the only starting option available.
I thought DeRozan is gone now. Didn't he opt out of his contract from the Raps after they lost to the Cavs??
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #42
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeRozan is a straight up free agent, no opt out required. Lowry I believe can opt out after next year.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #43
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I thought DeRozan is gone now. Didn't he opt out of his contract from the Raps after they lost to the Cavs??
He did opt out of the final year, but that was fully expected. He would have made ~$10 million is he didn't opt out, and will probably get closer to $25 million as a free agent. But Raptors still have Bird Rights on him, and can offer him an extra year and higher raises than any other team. If the Raptors really want to keep him and are willing to pay him their max, DeRozan would be turning down as much as ~$40 million in guaranteed earnings by signing a max with someone else.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #44
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
DeRozan is a straight up free agent, no opt out required. Lowry I believe can opt out after next year.
No, he opted out last week. He was still signed for next season.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #45
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

DeRozan signs 5 year deal with Raptors.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-deal-raptors/
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #46
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what to think of DeRozan's signing. On one hand, great, they have a player who definitely wants to stay, and it's for 5 years which is alright. On the other hand, it's a lot of money which most would agree that DeRozan is a good 2nd option but not your #1 guy on a championship team. So all in all, I really don't know the implications for how we could get a better player than Demar to be that real number one option while keeping Demar as the second option.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #47
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I don't know what to think of DeRozan's signing. On one hand, great, they have a player who definitely wants to stay, and it's for 5 years which is alright. On the other hand, it's a lot of money which most would agree that DeRozan is a good 2nd option but not your #1 guy on a championship team. So all in all, I really don't know the implications for how we could get a better player than Demar to be that real number one option while keeping Demar as the second option.
It's impossible without a trade. So they could gut their depth by trading Ross and Carroll to get another option. But otherwise they have decided that making the playoffs for a few years is their ultimate goal. But hey maybe they will actually pass to JV this year. Maybe Powell. Wright et. al. will become stars.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #48
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But otherwise they have decided that making the playoffs for a few years is their ultimate goal.
The made it to game 6 again the champions with this team, and having Lowry and Derozan hurt.

They are a young team and should be in a similar spot next season.

What did you want them to do? Sign Durant and Lebron?
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #49
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well obviously Durant is out seeing as he's meeting with Boston and Miami and no one else from the East. But he's re-signing in OKC anyway so that's a moot point. The Raps are pretty much one injury to LeBron or Kyrie away from being the top team in the East. There's just no way you can do anything other than bring that team back. You just gotta hope DeRozan puts in the effort to become a decent threat from deep. That's really all that's truly missing from his game. Biyombo is obviously gone in light of the contracts currently being handed out like the Mozgov monstrosity. I still think we see Ross dealt at some point for a cheaper, similar player.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #50
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
The made it to game 6 again the champions with this team, and having Lowry and Derozan hurt.

They are a young team and should be in a similar spot next season.

What did you want them to do? Sign Durant and Lebron?
And missing JV for most of the series, and with Carroll still getting into rhythm after missing most of the season. I think any opportunity for the Raptors to take the next step to true contender at this point needs to about taking the current pieces, adding (and developing) a few roleplayers, and ultimately becoming a more versatile team at both ends of the court. My fear is that DeRozan sees this contract as validation that he should be taking every possible shot he can take. Him playing a more complete and team-oriented game is crucial: the DeRozan/JV pick-and-roll has been lethal when they've run it. Which hasn't been very often, and not at all during the playoffs. But an elite driving SG and an excellent screening and rim-finish big-man surrounded by above average 3-point shooters in Lowry, Carroll, and Patterson, should be a bread-and-butter play for this team.

After last year I would have zero faith in the Raptors being able to do that, but Casey showed a lot more creativity and flexibility in the playoffs this year. He basically needs to coach the season with that Cleveland matchup in mind.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #51
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I still think we see Ross dealt at some point for a cheaper, similar player.
I can only hope and pray it's done sooner rather than later. I really don't like the guy. Hope they bring his value up and sell him to someone enamored with his athleticism, because the guy really has nothing else going for him.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #52
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raptors kick of summer-league with a record-tying performance, holding Sacramento to just 47 points (ties a Chinese team for lowest SL total ever), including just 13 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarters combined! Powell and Siakam both looking great, Poeltl okay but not as involved in the offence as I would like, Bruno struggling on offense at times but defensively solid. VanVleet and Singler both played well too. Nice to see the whole team locked in defensively (although that Kings team looks awful despite Cauley-Stein).
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #53
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Raptors kick of summer-league with a record-tying performance, holding Sacramento to just 47 points (ties a Chinese team for lowest SL total ever), including just 13 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarters combined! Powell and Siakam both looking great, Poeltl okay but not as involved in the offence as I would like, Bruno struggling on offense at times but defensively solid. VanVleet and Singler both played well too. Nice to see the whole team locked in defensively (although that Kings team looks awful despite Cauley-Stein).
Thats great to her about Siakam. Apperently only played the first half and pas pulled for precautionary measures.

Poetl had 9 reb including 7 offensive with 3 blks. Thats good to hear hopefully he figures how to get his touches. Hopefully with some confidence.

Bruno sounds like the same old bruno and hasnt really taken major steps forward.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #54
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet 32s32 seconds ago
Forward Jared Sullinger reveals on Twitter that he's joined the #Raptors: http://sprtsnt.ca/29zRdzC

NBA On Def Pen ‏@NBAOnDefPen 2m2 minutes ago
Jared Sullinger Agrees to One-Year, $6M Deal with Raptors -
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #55
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet 32s32 seconds ago
Forward Jared Sullinger reveals on Twitter that he's joined the #Raptors: http://sprtsnt.ca/29zRdzC

NBA On Def Pen ‏@NBAOnDefPen 2m2 minutes ago
Jared Sullinger Agrees to One-Year, $6M Deal with Raptors -
This is a decent stop gap move. Guy has oodles of talent. If he wasn't such a lazy fat goofball he would be a really good player. They can give him a shot and see if they can get him motivated / even in his present state he is an upgrade. No risk with just a one year deal so it's worth the gamble!
Old 07-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #56
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How insane is the NBA that a project can get $6 million on a "show me" contract.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #57
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
How insane is the NBA that a project can get $6 million on a "show me" contract.
Depends what you mean by project. He is one only in the sense that he has some weight issues. The guy can flat out play IF he had it together. Rebounds on both ends, plays at least average defense. Not much offense but at least he can hit like the 10-15 footer so JV could plunk himself underneath and he can pass it into to him. His passing is pretty good.

Right now even with the weight he is a decent backup. The project part not really talent but just poundage.

To me that's worth some cash. Will provide steady minutes and hey who knows maybe MU can make him go on a diet.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #58
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Depends what you mean by project. He is one only in the sense that he has some weight issues. The guy can flat out play IF he had it together. Rebounds on both ends, plays at least average defense. Not much offense but at least he can hit like the 10-15 footer so JV could plunk himself underneath and he can pass it into to him. His passing is pretty good.

Right now even with the weight he is a decent backup. The project part not really talent but just poundage.

To me that's worth some cash. Will provide steady minutes and hey who knows maybe MU can make him go on a diet.
A professional athlete with weight issues is a pretty big red flag. His own existence as an athlete revolves around him being shape. Handing out a 6M dollar contract to a guy on the chance he may take himself to a gym so that he can more effectively do his job is ridiculous to me. NBA salaries are out of control and this a prime example of it.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #59
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
A professional athlete with weight issues is a pretty big red flag. His own existence as an athlete revolves around him being shape. Handing out a 6M dollar contract to a guy on the chance he may take himself to a gym so that he can more effectively do his job is ridiculous to me. NBA salaries are out of control and this a prime example of it.
You must cringe then when you read about Greg Oden. Guy made a lot of money and hardly ever played a game. Thing about Sully is that he is still effective at the upper weight as a backup. So he gives them something while they see if they can work with him. I've read a bunch a stuff about him and some say he is lazy and others that he has some disorder. Celtics had some guy work with him last year and he did do an extensive summer workout regime.

But he was gaining weight as the season went along. Maybe MU knows something we don't or thinks he can persuade him. Some of the contracts are nuts / guess we will find out if MU knows what he is doing.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #60
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
You must cringe then when you read about Greg Oden. Guy made a lot of money and hardly ever played a game. Thing about Sully is that he is still effective at the upper weight as a backup. So he gives them something while they see if they can work with him. I've read a bunch a stuff about him and some say he is lazy and others that he has some disorder. Celtics had some guy work with him last year and he did do an extensive summer workout regime.

But he was gaining weight as the season went along. Maybe MU knows something we don't or thinks he can persuade him. Some of the contracts are nuts / guess we will find out if MU knows what he is doing.
Greg Oden is like the Nail Yakupov of the NBA. Pretty sure that if I have an NHL player and he's being compared in any way to Yakupov he's probably not very good.

I don't mind the idea of signing a guy who needs some work or some luck to turn himself around -- kind of like when the Flames got Colborne. It's just crazy to me that a player like that is worth $6 million in the NBA.