Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #1041
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^Does your fedora feel like it's going to fly off at speed on that thing? Or does your handle bar moustache and thick framed glasses act like a fairing to smooth out the wind?

Just kidding, cool bike. I want to try fixed one day (rebuilt and old beater as a single speed for now and love not having derailleurs, especially in the winter) but sadly my bike budget has been eaten up by full suspension trail bikes the last couple years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #1042
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
^Does your fedora feel like it's going to fly off at speed on that thing? Or does your handle bar moustache and thick framed glasses act like a fairing to smooth out the wind?

Just kidding, cool bike. I want to try fixed one day (rebuilt and old beater as a single speed for now and love not having derailleurs, especially in the winter) but sadly my bike budget has been eaten up by full suspension trail bikes the last couple years.
Dude can't afford a fedora, have you seen what PBR costs in China these days?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Pabst_Blue_Ribbon
Make sure to read the last line in that article very carefully!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #1043
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, those associations were the biggest reasons I did not want to get this type of bike. A hipster I certainly am not and I really wanted something functional more than fashionable. In the end though, it's been exactly what I needed. It only weighs about 8kgs, quick release nothing, a really good work out, fast and simple. I spent most of the last two years riding a full suspension trail bike around in China, which was utterly wasted in the city and which I didn't feel comfortable leaving anywhere without two big d locks and a cable, not to mention taking my seat off. This bike is also really good quality, but I feel like it's much less of a target and I feel comfortable with a single cable and no d locks. Ultimately, that's making a big difference to my riding pleasure around the city.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #1044
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

In Calgary I'd say that would be considered quite a nice bike and a bit of a target right now. The good thing is as they get more popular hopefully it'll be less of the case. I've read about guys in NYC taking brand new bikes with carbon forks etc, and purposely destroying the paint so they look crappy and people won't steal them.

That thing will be great to work on. Chain clean? Check. Re-lube chain? Check. Bike maintenance complete.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #1045
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

This bike just doesn't look flashy or represent any expensive brand. It's from a little shop here in Shanghai where some foreign guys started a business specializing in sourcing high quality frames and components to assemble custom bikes, so it's a good quality bike without any expensive brand name on the side to mark it out as obviously theft worthy. Also, the matt black makes sure it doesn't stand out to much when parked along a hundred cheap and run down bikes here.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #1046
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^ Yeah simple maintenance would be nice. Had to put on new chain rings today, but had to get a big chainring with two more teeth than my original one and ended up having to move my derailer up the seat tube due to the bigger ring and then re-tension the cable. Was supposed to be a 20 min. project, pretty much doubled it...
Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #1047
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This weekend, we were staying at the Douglas fir in banff, yesterday morning I rode at the Nordic Center in Canmore. And this morning I did a lap on tunnel mountain. Wow was that ever sweet buff single track. I winds nicely through the trees, and you are rewarded with several great views. Also came within about 15 feet of a deer, always great to come within a somewhat safe distance of wild animals.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #1048
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were biking the Tour of Alberta prologue today in support of CASA, and when we were finished and biking away we came across Ryder Hesjedal. Got a picture and he signed my buddy's jersey. That was pretty sweet.

Oh, it was pretty wild, looked like they had some teams warming up, so this guy in an Argos jersey passed me while climbing Grierson hill almost as fast as I went down it. It was incredible to watch. He just blew past me.

Last edited by V; 09-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #1049
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is any body doing the Tour of Alberta Challenge this sunday? I will be there as a riding mechanic. Then I 'm off to be a course marshall for the Tour.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #1050
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What is the cheapest shop in town to bring your bike to (that knows what they are doing haha)?

Over the weekend I went for a ride and my bottom bracket became loose. Before I realized that though I just thought my front derailleur became unaligned. I tried adjusting that and now can't seem to get it back to working condition (I just adjusted the screws on top a bit and undid the cable). Probably should just let people who know what they are doing do it.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #1051
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
What is the cheapest shop in town to bring your bike to (that knows what they are doing haha)?

Over the weekend I went for a ride and my bottom bracket became loose. Before I realized that though I just thought my front derailleur became unaligned. I tried adjusting that and now can't seem to get it back to working condition (I just adjusted the screws on top a bit and undid the cable). Probably should just let people who know what they are doing do it.
Go to http://mechanahands.com they'll help you and show you how to fix it.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #1052
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
I like MEC, don't like the BikeShop at all.
What happened at MEC?
I took my bike into them before going out of town for a few days, even took it in a couple days before I left so I would have it when I got back. I got it back two days later, after calling and going down there to get information. They changed around the service package I had requested and I wasn't happy spending over $200 there and then still having chain rub, and other issues popping up within 100km of leaving the shop.

I should temper this by saying I think it might be time for a new bike, as I am looking at now putting more money into more repairs. I have a Trek 7.3 FX, and have on the whole really liked riding it. I'm fairly big (6'2", 225 lbs), and use it as a summer time commuter/20-40 km pathway/road bike. Any thoughts on something different from Treks that would be compatible (I have checked Ridley's, and they are out of stock in my size for the 7.3 and above, so a strict swap of new for old wouldn't really work)?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #1053
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So yesterday a friend and were bike king at COP and I wound up crashing pretty hard. Went over my handlebars, fractured my arm, knocked the wind out of myself, tore a hole in my new jacket and wound up splitting my helmet......I'd imagine my lid saved my life....my bike season is done for the year.....as I am sidelined for the next two months as I had to have surgery to have my fracture fixed......

Fortunately there was no dama
Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #1054
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Glad youre OK.

Some helmet manufacturers have crash replacements programs. The offers vary but at a minimum you'll get a percentage off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So yesterday a friend and were bike king at COP and I wound up crashing pretty hard. Went over my handlebars, fractured my arm, knocked the wind out of myself, tore a hole in my new jacket and wound up splitting my helmet......I'd imagine my lid saved my life....my bike season is done for the year.....as I am sidelined for the next two months as I had to have surgery to have my fracture fixed......

Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #1055
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

I hope you didn't pass out at the end there.....

Glad you're more or less okay. I have matching "broken" collar bones from bike crashes.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Given that I am trying to avoid a crash of my own, I'm thinking of getting a new bike that can handle rougher terrain/slicker roads than what my road bike can take. The three bikes I have looked at are:

Giant Roam RX2 ($899):
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...2/11664/55858/

Ghost Cross 1300 (Mountain Equipment Co-op - $550):
http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-115/g...10+50002+50209

MEC Desire ($750):
http://www.mec.ca/product/5027-243/m...10+50002+50209

I am leaning towards the RX2 since the disc brakes would help on wet roads.

Last edited by Devils'Advocate; 10-07-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #1056
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did not pass out, despite seemingly crashing very hard. The medic at cop told me to take my helmet into emergency with me and I would get front of the line privileges....and I did.....I think I am going to invest in better brakes to help me slow down the next time....
Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #1057
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you are downhilling, you should have a full face helmet, as well as a neck brace. This is just my opinion of course. I bought my kids the Leatt Comp in the US. For whatever stupid reason, they're $200 more in Canada. I bought this after my son piledrove his head into a rock, and crushed his helmet. Fortunately it was just a mild concussion, and could have been a lot worse.

Here is a good article on them.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Leatt-n...view-2009.html
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #1058
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
Given that I am trying to avoid a crash of my own, I'm thinking of getting a new bike that can handle rougher terrain/slicker roads than what my road bike can take. The three bikes I have looked at are:

Giant Roam RX2 ($899):
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...2/11664/55858/

Ghost Cross 1300 (Mountain Equipment Co-op - $550):
http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-115/g...10+50002+50209

MEC Desire ($750):
http://www.mec.ca/product/5027-243/m...10+50002+50209

I am leaning towards the RX2 since the disc brakes would help on wet roads.
What are you looking to use this bike for? Leisure rides along the path? Commute? Off-road? Summer rides? Winter? All weather?
You are looking at some somewhat different bikes from each other so I'm curious what led you to narrow your search down to them.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #1059
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The bike I am looking for will be used for two things:
1) trail riding
2) commuting on slick days (after a downpour, especially now with leaves on the pathway)

Sunny day commutes, summer rides, leisure rides along the path would all be done on my current bike, the Giant Rapid. I don't ride after the first snowfall and not again until the spring melt.

Here is the trail that I am usually taking:
http://urbancommuter.files.wordpress...ns-moor-03.jpg

I don't think the bikes are all that dis-similar. Two are hybrids and one is a cross. They all seem like they would be able to handle messier situations than what my Rapid could. And I just don't have good traction on that trail, particularly when trying to steer around joggers and walkers.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #1060
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
The bike I am looking for will be used for two things:
1) trail riding
2) commuting on slick days (after a downpour, especially now with leaves on the pathway)

Sunny day commutes, summer rides, leisure rides along the path would all be done on my current bike, the Giant Rapid. I don't ride after the first snowfall and not again until the spring melt.

Here is the trail that I am usually taking:
http://urbancommuter.files.wordpress...ns-moor-03.jpg

I don't think the bikes are all that dis-similar. Two are hybrids and one is a cross. They all seem like they would be able to handle messier situations than what my Rapid could. And I just don't have good traction on that trail, particularly when trying to steer around joggers and walkers.
I use the MEC Midtown, which is the cheaper version of the Desire for commuting, and I love it. The larger wheels give the bike plenty of speed, and I've taken it on trails and it works very well for having no shocks. Easiest bike I've had to maintain as well, I've had it for 4 years and it seriously still looks new.
Closed Thread