Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #41
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part is I'm sure it took longer to figure out they were going to the coin toss then if the kids just kept shooting!
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #42
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminds me of the chapter/scene in Friday Night Lights (the book/movie, not the TV series). Three schools finish tied at the end of the season; only two advance to the playoffs.

According to the rules at the time, the two advancing teams were decided by a coin-flip, which was secretly held in some random truck stop in Texas.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #43
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Coin tosses are definitely in the rules for tournaments my son has played in. Strange tie-breaker, but the ice time is limited.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #44
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me this really isn't that big a deal.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #45
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

so...who won and was it heads or tails?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #46
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here is the box score. The Wranglers were down 4-1 after 2, then scored 3 goals in the 3rd period to tie it and ultimately won the coin toss - no word on heads or tails for the victory.

https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/schedul...ore/game/92858
trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trumpethead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #47
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
That's their secret, Cap. Calgary hockey parents are always outraged.
Sometimes I am embarrassed that my kids play minor hockey with how some parents act.

Only this past weekend, the son of a family were are friends with played a play-off game in another town. Through miscommunication and decisions the team had no jerseys. The team went to the team they were playing and asked for some help, either to use the other team's jerseys or help to track jerseys down. They were flat out told nope, too bad for you. The team manager eventually got a hold to someone from the league who told the other team that they needed to take steps to help facilitate the playing of the game. In short, they were told to help find jerseys. Eventually a set of old practice jerseys were found, but what a cluster #### to get to that point.

What is wrong with adults that they wouldn't just give over the other set of jerseys, or try to help my find jerseys.

Just mind bottling.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #48
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'd like to thank Winsport for not treating their beer league teams like crap as many other facilities do.

We've had games start 45 minutes late at other arenas because of a tournament going long, and a "screw you guys, you probably had nothing better to do anyway".

Winsport has started on time always, and has by far the best run hockey rec league I've ever played in for many reasons beyond that.

If you book ice for a set time slot, why should you be entitled to free ice after, especially when bumping others? Run your league properly and book enough time.

I believe Winsport books an extra 15 minutes for their playoff games so they don't screw over their other bookings. It might even be an extra 30 minutes.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #49
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
“People were very angry,” Black said. “Parents pay hundreds of dollars and watch an entire season to see it decided by coin toss?”

LOL, the level of entitlement dripping from this mouth breather is hilarious.
I'd be shocked if the parents only paid hundreds of dollars. Probably leaning into the thousands.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #50
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A) How is it the arena's fault for whoever booked the ice time not booking a long enough slot?

B) It sucks for the kids but this is SOP for tiebreakers in amateur sports. This isn't the NHL. An arena isn't going to screw over other customers so that these kids get to play past their allotted time.

Winsport could've asked the people who had the ice booked after if they were okay with cutting into their time but again, that's screwing over someone else down the line.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #51
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surely a rule could be bent to allow the PLAYOFF game to go on. This is high level hockey, they probably could have spent an extra 5 mins on a shootout and decided it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #52
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Surely a rule could be bent to allow the PLAYOFF game to go on. This is high level hockey, they probably could have spent an extra 5 mins on a shootout and decided it.
Slippery slope.

Do it once and you have to do it for everyone and where do you draw the line for who gets the extra time and who doesn't?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #53
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethead View Post
Here is the box score. The Wranglers were down 4-1 after 2, then scored 3 goals in the 3rd period to tie it and ultimately won the coin toss - no word on heads or tails for the victory.

https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/schedul...ore/game/92858
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...d-by-coin-toss

Quote:
The Wranglers won after the Royals called ‘heads’ and the coin landed on ‘tails’. Bender said the coin toss decision can’t be appealed because the Wranglers went on to play in the next round of the playoffs on Sunday.

Quote:
Bender said despite the upsetting loss, his team is in good spirits and some players were back at WinSport on Sunday to cheer on their former opponents.

“Kids have a pretty short memory,” Bender said. “They get over it pretty quick but it’s something that they won’t forget, for sure.”
Sadly, parents do not have short memories.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #54
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I'd be shocked if the parents only paid hundreds of dollars. Probably leaning into the thousands.
So if they paid thousands they should get to do whatever they want? LOL.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This certainly isn't winsports, and from some of the comments about parents spending all that time and money makes me think that they don't realize that this isn't about the adults, its about the kids.

I've noticed some things coaching youth players that makes me want to basically at times burn my coaching card.

A) Some parents have lost all perspective on things and made the sport about them instead of the kids.

B) Adult behavior that is not ok in the real world is certainly not ok in the fake world of sports

C) In most things, parents or fathers should not be allowed to coach the same team that his son or daughter plays for.

D) Most coaches are volunteers, we don't get paid anything. We do it for the love of the sport and various other reasons. But that doesn't give any parent the right to yell at a coach, or abuse a coach, or talk negatively about a coach to their child behind his back. Do you want to know the primary source of kids not respecting coaches. Its the parents with their BS "Conversations with their kids. If you want to find out why your kid isn't the starting QB maybe talk to the coach and ask him instead of blasting him to his face, telling your kid that the coach is screwing you, and complaining to every other parent in the association or whatever that the coach has it out for your son or daughter. Most coaches don't.

Oh and here's a big one

E) Kids are an emotional sponge. So when coaches start complaining about the refs, or players on the other team, the kids soak that up and then relaunch it at times 10. If they hear their parents screaming at the refs in the crowd, or screaming at other teams, its the same effect x 50.

F) Parents also need to quit counter coaching their kids. You know son, let me show you some things that I learned playing hockey of football, lets go out in the backyard and the old man will show you how to play the game. I'm sorry dad, do you have safe contact training? How well do you know the game, or the game plan the coaches are running, or the techniques that they're teaching. I've had so many kids show up after a weekend a way from practice and their technique is gone to pot because daddy-o has decided to teach him a heads in block or tackle technique. "Leave a smoking hole son, just like I did when I was the best linebacker in Olivair country".

I'm not saying that parents shouldn't be involved in their kids athletic development. But the whole parental culture in sports has really changed, and not for the better. Its not about the betterment of their kids, its about the parents. I spent thousands of dollars, my son isn't being coached right, the refs are out to screw me errr my kids.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #56
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Sometimes I am embarrassed that my kids play minor hockey with how some parents act.
I have a 3 year old and I'm not excited to let him play despite my own passion for the sport.

Here are some stories from my friends who have kids in minor hockey. Most of them I've been hearing about in the last year. I also want to note most of these stories are about kids under 10 years of age:
  • A coach bullying a kid to saying he hit another player when it didn't happen
  • Parents climbing and leaning over the glass like monkeys to yell at the coaches
  • See above, but yelling at refs
  • See above, but yelling at kids
  • See above, but yelling at each other
  • Parents being ostracized from the group for not buying team apparel
  • Hockey associations putting together costly out of town tournaments just to play other teams from the city they came from
  • The expectation to volunteer (I wouldn't mind helping out... it's the expectation that makes me roll my eyes)
  • Cash calls midway through the season (this was for an older kid)

I mean, why would I want any kid around any of this? I'm not asking rhetorically either...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #57
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny because the one thing I've noticed is that a lot of coaches are walking away from the game because of interactions with parents.

Absolutely there are some bad coaches out there, and coaches with rage control issues, and coaches who have really lost touch and are stuck in the past and refuse to evolve.

But every year that I've come back I've seen less and less long term coaches that I know. And even when I go to courses or certification classes, the conversation is around the wear of coaching and the loss of fun.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #58
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I have a 3 year old and I'm not excited to let him play despite my own passion for the sport.

Here are some stories from my friends who have kids in minor hockey. Most of them I've been hearing about in the last year. I also want to note most of these stories are about kids under 10 years of age:
  • A coach bullying a kid to saying he hit another player when it didn't happen
  • Parents climbing and leaning over the glass like monkeys to yell at the coaches
  • See above, but yelling at refs
  • See above, but yelling at kids
  • See above, but yelling at each other
  • Parents being ostracized from the group for not buying team apparel
  • Hockey associations putting together costly out of town tournaments just to play other teams from the city they came from
  • The expectation to volunteer (I wouldn't mind helping out... it's the expectation that makes me roll my eyes)
  • Cash calls midway through the season (this was for an older kid)

I mean, why would I want any kid around any of this? I'm not asking rhetorically either...
Because there are good experiences as well.

For the most part we have been very lucky. Our kids just finished 2nd year atom for the boy and 1st year Bantam for the girl. We have had some very good coaches, both technically and in dealing with the kids/sport.

As our involvement has progressed I have become more vocal when I see stupidity. I think that is the key. For too long people just turned a blind eye to this activity, which validated the actions. I now address this type of activity/actions as soon as they happen.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #59
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

At Bantam AA level that is ridiculous.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #60
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Because there are good experiences as well.

For the most part we have been very lucky. Our kids just finished 2nd year atom for the boy and 1st year Bantam for the girl. We have had some very good coaches, both technically and in dealing with the kids/sport.

As our involvement has progressed I have become more vocal when I see stupidity. I think that is the key. For too long people just turned a blind eye to this activity, which validated the actions. I now address this type of activity/actions as soon as they happen.
But wouldn't you get these experiences without so many of the negatives in other sports? Basketball, baseball, etc...