Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default College Bball/March Madness thread 2017

So Gonzaga have won their 26th straight game and are almost assured of finishing the regular season undefeated(4 left against very underwhelming opposition) which will secure them not only a#1 ranking in the tourney but also the #1 ranking in the country when all is said and done.

Is this their year...finally?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Go Zags!
Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see Gonzaga win it. I think Mark Few has stayed for 18 years because he believes he can win it there. He'll never leave now, IMO. Fantastic coach.

Wichita State looks poised for another run. Very young team with no scholarship seniors. They play young sometimes, and things don't go well when they do, but when they've been able to avoid that this season they've been absolutely fantastic. 11 guys deep and they can all score and defend. Marshall just keeps doing it year after year. I think he has 2 NBA players on the roster right now.

My favorite thing to watch other than the Flames is college basketball in February and March!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm headed to the final 4 in April in Phoenix. I'm pretty excited to see what goes on there.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I'm headed to the final 4 in April in Phoenix. I'm pretty excited to see what goes on there.
Jealous! Went to the Final Four last year in Houston, an amazing sporting experience.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
That is pretty freakin awesome dude.

When i lived in NC i went to Greensboro for the ACC tourney years ago. I was never a huge Bball fan but when you live down there...well its the old "when in Rome" thing. It instantly turned me into a much bigger fan. So much fun and the energy in those buildings was second to none...that was just for a conference tourney!!

Since moving back above the 49th, my interest only really picks up this time of year. I have watched about a dozen games the least 2 weeks and i have to say the competition may be better than ever. I think this years brackets are going to hold a LOT of surprises. I will be in Vegas for the first Thursday and Friday of the 64 and i cant wait.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Jealous! Went to the Final Four last year in Houston, an amazing sporting experience.
Did they do in Houston what they are doing in Phoenix this year? In Phoenix they are using the Cardinals football stadium for the final 4. Half of me thinks it will be cool, the other half things it may suck to see a basketball game in that big of a venue.

I'm also excited for the AT&T Block Party, but they haven't released the bands that will be playing it yet.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Did they do in Houston what they are doing in Phoenix this year? In Phoenix they are using the Cardinals football stadium for the final 4. Half of me thinks it will be cool, the other half things it may suck to see a basketball game in that big of a venue.

I'm also excited for the AT&T Block Party, but they haven't released the bands that will be playing it yet.
Ya, when I was there it was in NRG Stadium that the Texans play in. They've done that for a number of years. It is weird seeing a basketball court in a football stadium, but it's all about $$$$ to the NCAA, and in person it certainly adds to the spectacle of the whole event.

Last year for the Block Party it was Maroon 5 and Kendrick Lamar I believe, I didn't go though. Do you have your tickets for the games yet?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Ya, when I was there it was in NRG Stadium that the Texans play in. They've done that for a number of years. It is weird seeing a basketball court in a football stadium, but it's all about $$$$ to the NCAA, and in person it certainly adds to the spectacle of the whole event.

Last year for the Block Party it was Maroon 5 and Kendrick Lamar I believe, I didn't go though. Do you have your tickets for the games yet?
No, because I'm going with a bunch of guys from Wisconsin that go every year and they tell me that it gets cheaper as the tournament goes on as teams get knocked out. I'm prefer to just buy them ahead of time, but these guys do this every year so they probably know what they are doing so i'm gonna trust them.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
No, because I'm going with a bunch of guys from Wisconsin that go every year and they tell me that it gets cheaper as the tournament goes on as teams get knocked out. I'm prefer to just buy them ahead of time, but these guys do this every year so they probably know what they are doing so i'm gonna trust them.
Ya, that's a good plan. Last year we bought tickets for the semifinals before the tournament started, but didn't buy tickets for the final until afterwards and I'm glad because prices we're quite lower
Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #11
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grayson Allen is a scumbag. That's all there is to it. Try your #### in the NBA kid and you'll have your ass kicked.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wichita State in for the 6th straight year and already the "What big school is going to land Gregg Marshall?" talk has begun again with Missouri. Don't know if it will happen, but next years team might be the best he's ever had at Wichita State with the team graduating two walk ons.

This team is poised to do some damage in the tournament. 10 deep, legitimately.

Can't wait til next Sunday. I suspect they will be underseeded again as the 8 in the Midwest Regional. That's my prediction.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #13
drew24
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Can't wait til next Sunday. I suspect they will be underseeded again as the 8 in the Midwest Regional. That's my prediction.
KU vs Wichita State second round would be fun.

Thought I'd say that I'm not going to be organizing the March Madness draft this year. Don't really want the distraction this year.
drew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew24 View Post
KU vs Wichita State second round would be fun.

Thought I'd say that I'm not going to be organizing the March Madness draft this year. Don't really want the distraction this year.
I think this KU team is much better than the one Wichita State beat 2 years ago.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #15
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any returnees want to take over the March Madness pool from Drew this year?
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #16
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
Any returnees want to take over the March Madness pool from Drew this year?
I got this. Hold my beer.

I'll make the thread shortly.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wichita State as a 10 is a joke. The committee should apologize to Dayton.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #18
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...nament/bracket
Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Don't understand how the Shockers are a 10 seed, that's ridiculous.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #20
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Wow, Vanderbilt just blew it. Intentional foul in the dying seconds because the player thought they were down one, rather then up one. Unreal.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote