Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #21
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
I wondered the same. 85 mph fast ball. No idea what the pitcher usually throws. 2-0 pitch though, wonder what the first two were.
The pitch was thrown by 43 year-old Bartolo Colon and his two-seam fastball ranges between 83 and 91 mph.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.as...ion=P&pitch=FT

I don't see anything suspicious. Colon was trying to groove one in there because he was pitching from behind and because he didn't want Dee Gordon and his speed and base stealing prowess on the basepaths.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #22
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gordon had not hit a homer all season . You challenge the lead off hitter to hit to get on.

And even if Bartolo grooved one, it's still hard for a guy like Gordon to hit it out!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #23
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://deadspin.com/autopsy-jose-fer...tem-1788366356

Quote:
Miami Marlins pitcher José Fernández had a blood alcohol level of .14 and cocaine in his system when he died in a boat crash last month, according to an autopsy.

The autopsy, released Saturday by the medical examiner department of Miami-Dade County, shows that both alcohol and cocaine were present in Fernández’s system at the time of his death. Fernández and two other men, Emilio Jesus Macias and Eduardo Rivero, died when riding in a boat that overturned on the rocks of a jetty between Miami Beach and Fisher Island early on the morning of September 25.

Macias had a blood alcohol level of .04 and Rivero one of .06, per the autopsies.

It is not clear who was driving the boat, which was owned by Fernandez, at the time of the crash. Florida’s legal blood alcohol limit for operating a boat is .08.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:33 AM   #24
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stupid.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:52 AM   #25
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Color me surprised....
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #26
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that wraps it up nicely. José Fernández was an azzhoal who ruined the lives of three families.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #27
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Well, that wraps it up nicely. José Fernández was an azzhoal who ruined the lives of three families.
They don't know whether he was driving the boat so that's not entirely true. It's been suggested that he wasn't driving.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #28
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting take away.

Quote:
It is not clear who was driving the boat, which was owned by Fernández, when it wrecked
Quote:
The evidence: A witness who was on the phone with Fernandez “at the point of impact,” the lawyer said.

The witness told police and Fernandez’s lawyer that the pitcher “was telling the person driving to go left, to left, bear away from the shore, and moments later, communications ceased,” the attorney said.

The witness’s account was backed up by phone records, according to Fernandez’s lawyer. He believes Macias was behind the wheel of the SeaVee-brand boat dubbed the “Kaught Looking.”
Not saying that we should believe the lawyer just yet, but there's been nothing to suggest that Fernandez was driving, only supposed evidence to suggest he wasn't. Pretty confident take away on your part despite that, though.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #29
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
They don't know whether he was driving the boat so that's not entirely true. It's been suggested that he wasn't driving.
"Hey guys, let's go drinking out on my speedboat."
Old 10-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #30
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
"Hey guys, let's go drinking out on my speedboat."
Or maybe "Hey Jose let's take your boat on the water" and a drunk athlete goes along with it because he's drunk. Much like what happens a million times a night.

Not absolving him, but you quite literally said that HE ruined the lives of three families. Maybe you just didn't read the article and assumed he was the driver and are now sticking firmly to your original statement even if it means you have to move the goalposts a little?
Old 10-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #31
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Or maybe "Hey Jose let's take your boat on the water" and a drunk athlete goes along with it because he's drunk. Much like what happens a million times a night.

Not absolving him, but you quite literally said that HE ruined the lives of three families. Maybe you just didn't read the article and assumed he was the driver and are now sticking firmly to your original statement even if it means you have to move the goalposts a little?
Meh, whatever. All three of them played a role in ruining their families' lives.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #32
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh, whatever. All three of them played a role in ruining their families' lives.
So your saying you've never gone to a bar and had a designated driver drive you home. That is what this is akin to if you pursume the guy at half the legal limit at .04 was the driver.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #33
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Irrespective of the toxicology results, this is huge tragedy for the families involved and for baseball fans. Not only because of the loss of life and loved one but also because he was financially supporting his entire family, who were refugees from Cuba and came to the United States with nothing. Fernandez was arbitration eligible this season, and he would have commanded at least $5M for this season and next before hitting free agency in 2019. As a free agent, he could have probably commanded a long-term contract with an annual salary in the $20M+ range, if he didn't suffer any arm problems before contract signing. That kind of money would have set up his family and his soon-to-be born child and even future generations of his kin for life.

And then there is the point-of-view from baseball fans like myself. Using Bill James similarity scores (courtesy of Baseball-Reference.com), these are the players he was most similar to at the same age:

1. Red Ames (962)
2. Herb Score (955)
3. Tom Seaver (955) *
4. Jim Nash (953)
5. Addie Joss (953) *
6. Roger Clemens (952)

He may have turned out to be another Herb Score, who was an all-star and 20-game winner and led the league in strikeouts at age 23 but then pitched only 381 innings the rest of his career as he battled several injuries (including a comeback liner to his face). But he could have also been another Tom Seaver or Roger Clemens. Not knowing how his career would have evolved is personally the biggest tragedy for me.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #34
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So your saying you've never gone to a bar and had a designated driver drive you home. That is what this is akin to if you pursume the guy at half the legal limit at .04 was the driver.
Wow, talk about missing the point of a designated driver. That person isn't supposed to drink at all.

*presume
Old 10-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #35
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, talk about missing the point of a designated driver. That person isn't supposed to drink at all.

*presume
The point he was making being that if you're really intoxicated you can make the decision not to drive but still make a poor decision on who to leave with, and it's not necessarily some evil, family ruining decision as many good people do it every night.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #36
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The point he was making being that if you're really intoxicated you can make the decision not to drive but still make a poor decision on who to leave with, and it's not necessarily some evil, family ruining decision as many good people do it every night.
I didn't say it was an evil decision made with intent to ruin three families lives. If I stay up all night drinking and doing cocaine with one of my buddies then the guy who is half cut might seem like a good choice for taking the speedboat out but let's look at this plainly. If you drink you shouldn't operate heavy machinery. If you're responsible you make plans before you start drinking. This is what non-selfish adults do. A responsible adult doesn't go "you're the least drunk; you should drive." I don't think he was evil. I think he was a selfish, irresponsible azzhoal and his two buddies probably were, too.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #37
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't say it was an evil decision made with intent to ruin three families lives. If I stay up all night drinking and doing cocaine with one of my buddies then the guy who is half cut might seem like a good choice for taking the speedboat out but let's look at this plainly. If you drink you shouldn't operate heavy machinery. If you're responsible you make plans before you start drinking. This is what non-selfish adults do. A responsible adult doesn't go "you're the least drunk; you should drive." I don't think he was evil. I think he was a selfish, irresponsible azzhoal and his two buddies probably were, too.

You are totally out of line. Since when is .04 and.06 "drunk"? In Canada that seems to be under the legal limit for drinking and boating. So, it comes back to an unfortunate accident, but hey don't let that get in the way of you demonizing victims here.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #38
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
You are totally out of line. Since when is .04 and.06 "drunk"? In Canada that seems to be under the legal limit for drinking and boating. So, it comes back to an unfortunate accident, but hey don't let that get in the way of you demonizing victims here.
I totally don't care if you think I'm out of line. 0.06 is enough to get your car impounded without appeal in Alberta.

Impairment begins at less than 0.08 for most people. The fact that so many people like to hang their hat on being under 0.08 is such garbage. What do you think half cut means? Halfway to the legal limit. D'uh. Why is it so hard to understand that being a responsible adult takes planning sometimes?

I get that it hurts your feely feels to speak ill of the dead but let's not forget that this crash was totally avoidable because boats, booze and cocaine don't mix unless your boat has a sober captain.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #39
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
The state attorney has already stated that there's evidence to suggest they were speeding and driving recklessly. Legal limit or not, they (or at least the driver) were still selfish.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #40
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
What do you think half cut means? Halfway to the legal limit. D'uh.
Actually half cut means you're drunk.

Quote:
half-cut
[ˌhafˈkət]
ADJECTIVE

drunk.