Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #161
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

.... also, why the hell is 960 constantly at some car or boat dealership? I want something to listen to during the day but the constant sales pitch gets annoying really fast. Anyone know of any good sports radio out there?
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #162
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Eloranta View Post
.... also, why the hell is 960 constantly at some car or boat dealership? I want something to listen to during the day but the constant sales pitch gets annoying really fast. Anyone know of any good sports radio out there?
Because you're listening for free?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #163
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Eloranta View Post
TSN 960 in Montreal is fantastic. Chris Nilan (1 eastern) followed by Mitch Melnick a great way to spend an afternoon. Marinaro (10 am eastern) takes some getting used to though. Obviously Montreal centric, but good broad range as well.
Melnick's daily slot with former Expo pitcher Bill 'spaceman' Lee is the best radio segment I have ever heard.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #164
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Rome >> Ferrall > Boomer > Rhet >> Pinder > Loub >>>>>>>> Steinberg >> Kerr

Any addition (though now it sounds like Richards isn't actually coming back) that takes time away from Kerr and Steinberg is fine with me. Rome, Ferrall, and Boomer are the only ones I've heard with the ability and personality to carry a show well on their own, Pinder, Thet, and Loub are good with others, and Kerr and Steinberg are awful.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #165
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The show is very entertaining in the morning but wouldn't listen if I wanted sports news.

Mike Richards is awful.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #166
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I liked Mike Richards, although some of his comedy has not aged well. I'd be open to a return but he'd have to tone it down a bit.
His comedy had already not aged well when he was here in 2004. However, he knows sports, not just hockey, and he was a great interviewer.

For that alone he'd be the best asset the Fan 960 would have.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #167
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Problem is he never talked sports. He was a comedian. A bad one.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #168
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

He talked sports constantly.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #169
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pinder is the best thing about the morning show. He actually knows his stuff when it comes to sports and he's got a smart, understated sense of humour. Surprised he hasn't been poached by a bigger market yet.

Rhett brings an insider perspective and an oddball sense of humour. He can't host or carry a show, but he makes for an entertaining sidekick.

Boomer is a frustrated comedian who doesn't even pretend to be interested in sports anymore. Most of the folks on this board could offer better insight into hockey. His whole schtick where he sabotages any genuine effort to present a sports show is getting real old.

Of the afternoon guys, Steinberg is probably the best. He brings something to the table in terms of substance, even if it's mostly stat nerd stuff. Something about Kerr gets on my nerves. Maybe it's the blatantly leading questions he 'asks' in his interviews. While Loubardias is enthusiastic, he doesn't bring anything to table besides enthusiasm and endless cliches.

The guests (Friedman, Duhatschek, Morganti, Johnston) are really the reason to listen to 960. The hosts just have to manage to not be overtly annoying, which only about half of them manage.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #170
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Rome >> Ferrall > Boomer > Rhet >> Pinder > Loub >>>>>>>> Steinberg >> Kerr

Any addition (though now it sounds like Richards isn't actually coming back) that takes time away from Kerr and Steinberg is fine with me. Rome, Ferrall, and Boomer are the only ones I've heard with the ability and personality to carry a show well on their own, Pinder, Thet, and Loub are good with others, and Kerr and Steinberg are awful.
Your list loses all credibility the minute I see Jim Rome anywhere but last place lol .
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #171
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad that Mike Richards has gotten good health news. Curious how he'll be on Monday.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #172
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deforest>Boomer>Rhett>Steinberg>Loub>Wills>Kerr>Kl ein>Pinder (bugs me for some reason)>Rocket>Rome

I did like Richards, he just needs to be paired with another more sports focused person.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #173
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Problem is he never talked sports. He was a comedian. A bad one.
What are you talking about? Not only did he talk about plenty of sports he actually talked about sports not named the NHL. Boxing, football, baseball, tennis, golf. Richards is a true sports radio host not like the other 960 guys that know hockey and little else. Boomer doesn't even hide his disdain for other sports like basketball, tennis, heck he's not even really a football guy to which there's really no excuse if you are working in this business.

The reason an ex-player like Warrener is good on the morning show is because he has at least valid opinions on hockey related stuff. When it's just Boomer and Pinder it's a lot of nonsense and bad sports talk.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-20-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #174
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Your list loses all credibility the minute I see Jim Rome anywhere but last place lol .
Lots of people that follow other sports outside of hockey like Rome including myself. Not everyone wants to listen to NHL talk all day (with that awful one hour snooze-fest Jays show at lunch squeezed in) especially in the summer.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #175
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with Rome is that he and his fans have crawled so far up their own asses with their jargon and inside jokes that a newcomer to the show is going to be absolutely baffled by 60 per cent of the stuff they hear.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #176
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Just my subjective opinion, not too concerned about it's credibility.

I like Rome and Ferrall because they actually talk about sports in general and seem to have some idea as to what they're talking about. I enjoy local stuff when it's the Flames, but while I like baseball I don't like the Jays, and I don't like the CFL, and I really don't care about local Canadian golfers or whatever other random stuff they fill time with.

Pinder knows the Jays, which is great, I even like the guy who is a wrestling enclyclopedia even though I don't like wrestling. I just want to listen to guys who know their stuff and can show it without being obnoxious, or at least be entertaining. Steinberg and Kerr check neither of those boxes.

Even though I find him a little boring, 960 needs more guys like Pinder, and less of Kerr and Steinberg.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #177
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't catch The Jungle today but I didn't need to. It has been the same show every day for the last 25 years.

Here is my guess as to what I missed today

- a five minute interview with some college basketball coach
- 10 minutes of Jim Rome talking about what a great interview it was
- a couple of callers who get cut off right away
- 2 hours of OJ talk, or as Jim Rome likes to call him, Orenthal

Seems to me that nobody likes Jim Rome. Everybody loves his show or can't stand it. To me, he just rest on his laurels. He hasn't come up with a new idea in decades.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #178
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm quite partial to Dan Patrick for US sports coverage. Shame he's not picked up on 960
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #179
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Colin Cowherd - Fox Sports 1
Undisputed - Fox Sports 1
First Take - ESPN

Those are the shows I like. They never talk hockey though, but that's ok - Living in Canada, you get enough hockey talk.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 AM   #180
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The guests (Friedman, Duhatschek, Morganti, Johnston) are really the reason to listen to 960. The hosts just have to manage to not be overtly annoying, which only about half of them manage.
^ This
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote