Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Flames Senior Management And Chewing Tobacco

Sorry if this is a little off topic but I just want to see how everyone views this topic.

Last game (noticed it before with Treliving) both Treliving and Burke were seen multiple times chewing tobacco and spitting into cups. In today's day and age do we as fans make an issue out of this or do we just let it keep happening.

All the signs are there that this product is as bad or worse than smoking and other leagues have banned the use, I personally feel that these guys should know better than to use it but if they are going to use it make damn sure it isn't in the public view. They should know that cameras will be on them a few times each game and thus stop using the stuff as many young kids are watching and they are to be setting an example

Like I say may be making a mountain out of a mole hill but as a person who has never smoked nor chewed I may be more sensitive about the issue. Right or wrong?
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lanny9 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Children probably can't discern what is going on there, it looks like they're sipping a hot beverage. Personally I don't have an issue with it. Parents need to teach their kids about the dangers of tobacco, it's not society's responsibility to hide usage from them entirely.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't notice this.

But if it happened, that's fricken gross.

There's nothing that makes me literally physically ill more than watching someone chew tobacco. What a disgusting habit.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Until they spit it in your face, I'd say it's their right to do what they want with their time money and body, but that's just my personal stance.

If it offends you, I hate to say it, but that's your problem, not theirs.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I don't give a rats arse
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A lot of players use it. I met a couple a few summers back and they were chewing and mentioned there are a huge number that do.

Seems kinda gross but whatever floats your boat I guess.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never noticed this. I guess I'm the wrong person to ask because I just really dont care.

They're big boys and if they want to chew, go for it. Its kinda gross, but not illegal or immoral or anything.

And other leagues have banned management from chewing tobacco? I get it if its the players and they're spitting out just wherever on the playing surface but otherwise who cares?

If it was the players I'd have a different opinion because they're role models and get a lot of camera time but management in the press box? Seems a bit nitpicky.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

...it's a non-issue. People can do what they please. Them chewing tobacco does not negatively impact any else's health.

Last edited by ComixZone; 12-22-2014 at 12:18 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Pretty sure tobacco products are just as banned up in the presidential box as it is anywhere else in the Dome. Are you certain it wasn't sunflower seeds or something they were munching on?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never smoked or chewed.

As far as I'm concerned, they are adults and if they want to do something harmful to themselves, that's their business They are up in the press box away from the public. Could they possibly be on camera? Maybe. Are they standing in front of a group of press or children where they are obviously in public view? No.

I think you are making far too much of this. Glen Sather still has a cigar in his mouth in the Rangers Press Box at games. No one makes a deal out of that. I really don't think kids seeing someone chewing is going to cause them to go out and buy it and start it the next day. This is where that whole parenting thing comes in.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tried chew once it's gross.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No issue with it. Those old school boys like chewing their tobacco and spitting it in their cup...no big deal. As long as they throw the damned thing in the garbage themselves and don't leave nasty remnants, I don't mind it. I was actually a bit amused by the sight of Burke and Tree cradling their spitoons and swearing at what was the Flames' 5th or 6th stupid icing call in a row, that game.

...Seems somehow somewhat "Calgary" without being overtly redneck.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Pretty sure tobacco products are just as banned up in the presidential box as it is anywhere else in the Dome. Are you certain it wasn't sunflower seeds or something they were munching on?
Oh it was chew, had a friend do it for years so know the signs. Just wondering if it would change anyone's mind if they were up there smoking? I mean pretty much the same thing in terms of long term health risks?
The Following User Says Thank You to lanny9 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would be pissed if they could smoke there and I had to go outside.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cflames_12.5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not saying it wasn't chewing tobacco, but how sure are you it wasn't sun flower seeds? Not that it matters, they are big boys, they can do whatever gross things they want.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #16
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Not saying it wasn't chewing tobacco, but how sure are you it wasn't sun flower seeds? Not that it matters, they are big boys, they can do whatever gross things they want.

You can generally tell when someone's harbouring a fat wad of brown chew right behind their seemingly swollen bottom lip, versus the sight of a seed muncher.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Typically with seeds you spot them out from further away, you don't put lips on the cup and spew it out.

Don't get me wrong, not deeply offended, just think they should put a little more thought into their actions in public view.plus them chewing is setting an example to the team, that it is alright to chew. I know it is a big thing in minor league hockey but is it time to do what the MLB has done to get it out of the sport?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny9 View Post
Oh it was chew, had a friend do it for years so know the signs. Just wondering if it would change anyone's mind if they were up there smoking? I mean pretty much the same thing in terms of long term health risks?
Smoking is different because it affects the people around the smoker. If you're sitting beside one, you have no choice but to enhale their tobacco.

Chewing only really hurts the person doing it, unless you find it so disgusting that it will make you vomit. Which wouldn't be all that surprising. It's gross.

I do agree they shouldn't be doing it while sitting in the pressbox during a live broadcast and find it odd given Burke's hardline stance on all things community oriented. I doubt there are many high level managers in most businesses that sit in their office chewing, but I could be wrong. I know I can't sit at my desk and chew, not that I would.

Sather has an unlit cigar hanging from his mouth anytime he's on camera. He looks like an idiot, but he's obviously not breaking any rules or he would have been told to stop.

Either way, my opinion on it is that they shouldn't be doing it in the public eye, and I'm honestly disappointed that they do it at all. They seem smarter than that. But it's their choice.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is stupid.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny9 View Post
We all breathe the same air, so unless you plan to use the same cup they are spitting in, it's not the same.

FTR I am a non smoker, non chewer.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote