Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noah Hanifin

Ahead of #28 Arizona by 11 pts ... Arizona 3 games in hand.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #42
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Short term for this season.
Stajan, Colborne, Raymond on the same line either 3rd or 4th.
Get the other 3 lines that were perfectly fine and all clicking back together un effected by these 3 and their candy ass game.

Stay the course of the rebuild. The early success of the season is over.
Glencross number 1 priority to be traded for pick(s) near the deadline.

Others that are under contract that the Flames should move at the deadline if they can.
Stajan
Jones
Raymond
Smid

McGrattan there not using him anyways. Doubt if he can be moved, waivers.
Move Diaz or put on waivers bring up one the AHL D for getting NHL experience while they can.
Hell send Diaz down now even.
Oh and just so it's clear trade Glencross.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #43
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Letting things take it's course should result in the Flames getting a top 5 pick since they're finally getting the results that were expected of them. Up from now to the trade deadline, off load veterans who aren't part of the long term process for youth/prospects and draft picks. Hope for the current young players on the roster to progress, keep building through the draft, and have patience with the prospects in our system to grow. The future appears to be pretty bright, but it's still a way a way.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #44
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Fixing the Flames will take years. Not thinking about right now at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not surprising but it seems as though the strong finish last season and the strong start this season have skewed some fans from expectations of the rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Do the opposite of whatever Edmonton does.
I'm so ####ing tired of these narratives. We are NOT the Edmonton Oilers. We are NOT rushing players. We are NOT setting players up to lose. The Flames run at the end of last season, and again this season, was a result of going with the youth in this organization. The team has drafted well and has developed some very good young players. They have shown that through their performance when called up. They have made many of the veterans on this team expendable. For many of these kids their time IS now. We have quite a few really good young players, we just have to trust them and allow the coaching staff to work with them. As it sits we have too many crappy veterans that do nothing but collect a NHL paycheck. If you really want to improve the club, get rid of these crappy vets and leave space for the good young players coming into the system. Just because the Oilers drafted a bunch of crap does not mean the Flames did. When the prospects are out playing the veterans they should earn the position. That is what meritocracy is supposed to be all about. Unfortunately, contract status comes into play way too often with the Flames and that holds the young guys in the minors and some really crappy veterans employed in the NHL.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #45
FeyWest
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Short and sweet answer? Nothing. Just keep playing how we are, I'm not in any panic to get to the playoffs, it'd be a nice story but not imperitive to me. Keep developing and learning from the adversity, trade off "some" of the vets when and if we can (I just think glenny isn't playing well enough to warrant a contract ext. at this point) year 2 of a rebuild, I think were going the right direction.
"As far as I'm concerned I take it one day at a time because if you look too far down the road that's when you get yourself in trouble. You've gotta enjoy the process and not be burdened by the outcome." - Jon Gillies
FeyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #46
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trade Baertschi for Crosby, Trade Stajan for Vorachek, Trade Bollig for Seguin, Trade Diaz for Edmontons 1st rounder, pick up McDavid, boom we are fixed.

or we let it run its course because yes its a bit of a slide but by no means have the flames been a subpar team in any of those games. A couple bad bounces, poor decisions by young players (which will only be fixed by letting them make mistakes and learning from them), and a few bad periods is really all that has gone wrong. This is what you'll get with a young team. They're going make mistakes, they're going to turn it over that will cost a game, but these are things needed in a successful rebuild. We've got great youth who will eventually form into our core. We want them to have experience and make mistakes.

Lets not panic over an 8 game skid in our year 1.5 of rebuild (0.5 for that stupid lockout year).
smiggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #47
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There is nothing to fix. We're better than probably 95% of people would have expected at the start of the year. All our young players are improving. This is year 2 of the rebuild, I'd say we're ahead of schedule.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #48
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a need for a better options on either wing. I do believe the centers are fine as they are right now. Granlund, Monahan and Jooris are all developing right where they should be IMO, in the NHL.

Stajan should be traded as soon as Backlund gets back. I think Monahans progression as a dependable two way center has negated the need to keep Stajan around. Glencross can go. I'm certain if Treliving or Burke say "we're not going to re-sign you after this season", he'll waive.

Leave Raymond where he is at for the moment. Some players take longer than others to get their stride back after an extended injury absence. Let him come back around. He knows he's not where he needs to be. All it takes is a little more time.

Keep Hudler, no matter what. I just cannot fathom a reason why he would not stick around for the entire duration of his contract. He's an awesome mentor and even better player.

Chuck Diaz somewhere...anywhere. There has to be better options out there for 6-7 d men that the Flames can get. The Diaz thing has not worked out at all. Where's the guy from training camp?

Engelland SHOULD be the most expensive 7th D-Man in the NHL honestly. He's not as terrible as a few would make him out to be but I'm not singing his praises either.

I think there is a wear down effect taking place on the top 4 D because the third pairing is so unreliable. Needs to be fixed.

Keep Hiller. Re-sign him until Gillies is ready. I'm firmly entrenched in the Hiller camp. Ramo's play has taken a much bigger nose dive.

There's silver linings all over this season. The first round is chalk full of great prospects into the mid 20's of the round. If the Flames make the playoffs, gravy, if they fall off of a cliff and sink to the bottom, gravy (Eichel or Hanifin please).

The Process is not complete. Like Hartley, Treliving have said already, they have to learn to lose the right way too.

Last edited by dammage79; 12-21-2014 at 01:24 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #49
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with trading Stajan and Glencross. They just don't seem to offer a whole lot play-wise anymore, at least they haven't looked the best, and it'd be nice to get some younger guys in/picks for them. I was initially worried about trading Stajan because he's a mentor for the kids, but we also have Hudler, Gio, Mcgrattan, and Raymond for that. Hudler and Gio seem to be the best at it. I think that's enough.
Mony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #50
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How about everyone stop worrying about it and realize that this team wasn't going to be a playoff team this soon. There's a lot missing from this roster that was being hidden by great goaltending and fantastic solo performances this season. Show some patience and be glad that the team is trending in the right direction overall.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #51
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Noah Hanifin

Ahead of #28 Arizona by 11 pts ... Arizona 3 games in hand.
Get lost.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #52
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I'm so ####ing tired of these narratives. We are NOT the Edmonton Oilers. We are NOT rushing players. We are NOT setting players up to lose. The Flames run at the end of last season, and again this season, was a result of going with the youth in this organization. The team has drafted well and has developed some very good young players. They have shown that through their performance when called up. They have made many of the veterans on this team expendable. For many of these kids their time IS now. We have quite a few really good young players, we just have to trust them and allow the coaching staff to work with them. As it sits we have too many crappy veterans that do nothing but collect a NHL paycheck. If you really want to improve the club, get rid of these crappy vets and leave space for the good young players coming into the system. Just because the Oilers drafted a bunch of crap does not mean the Flames did. When the prospects are out playing the veterans they should earn the position. That is what meritocracy is supposed to be all about. Unfortunately, contract status comes into play way too often with the Flames and that holds the young guys in the minors and some really crappy veterans employed in the NHL.
Nice rant. Let me know when you figure out how to get rid of all the vets and still make the salary floor.

Until then, suck it up and accept that the vets aren't getting moved simply because some fans want to play with their shiny new toys more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #53
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
There is nothing to fix. We're better than probably 95% of people would have expected at the start of the year. All our young players are improving. This is year 2 of the rebuild, I'd say we're ahead of schedule.
Agree.

Patience, grasshopper(s)...
Old 12-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #54
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get another high draft pick and continue to rebuild?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #55
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Nice rant. Let me know when you figure out how to get rid of all the vets and still make the salary floor.

Until then, suck it up and accept that the vets aren't getting moved simply because some fans want to play with their shiny new toys more.
Getting to the floor is easy. Aquire an ugly salary and sit it in the pressbox.

I love the inclusion of another tired narrative as part of your mindless defense. 'The shiny new toys' in question have been in the system for a few years. Maybe you should focus on the meritocracy the team keeps preaching. Results speak much louder than your tired narrative.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #56
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What do we do? Nothing. If something irresistible pops up, inquire. But other then that just continue to rebuild through the draft, look how well it's done for us so far in so little time.
JohnnySkittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meritocracy? Who is sitting that should be playing instead of the vets? Sven? Knight? I would listen to someone who says arguably Ferland, but he's better off, young as he is, in the AHL (same with Poirier).

This is how good a team Calgary is at the moment. A team that can play well if all goes right, but doesn't have the defensive depth or the scoring or the consistent goaltending to be a solid playoff team yet. But the signs are good. How good will the rookies be next year? How good will Bennett, Poirier, Wotherspoon, Ferland and whoever they draft be?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #58
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

It serves no purpose to unload some vets for the sake of change. You need a blend of vets and prospects for this team to develop properly. Glencross and Hudler are great mentors in the dressing room that help the prospects with their game at the NHL level.

The fact that we are in slump is not a good reason to panic and make moves that will hurt us down the road. We need to remain focused on the rebuild with a reminder that this is only year and there will be bumps along the road.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #59
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know as much as you guys but I do know that this team was doing perfectly fine before Stajan and Raymond returned. Sure we were playing hairy games we didn't belong in, lots of comebacks, but this team was exciting to watch.

This team I'm watching now is not the same. The chemistry is way off.

I get it, this team wasn't supposed to do anything this year and we have to let them run the course. But I also don't think the return of those vets and our skid are just a coincidence either.

We had a steady stream of competition going with the young guys that got disrupted IMO.

IMO we owe it to ourselves to ship out these two guys, period. Beyond that I wouldn't do much but at least we know one way or another with this move.
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #60
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Getting to the floor is easy. Aquire an ugly salary and sit it in the pressbox.

I love the inclusion of another tired narrative as part of your mindless defense. 'The shiny new toys' in question have been in the system for a few years. Maybe you should focus on the meritocracy the team keeps preaching. Results speak much louder than your tired narrative.
Ok. Send Monahan (1g 1a -2) and Jooris (0g 1a -5) to the AHL to make room for the guys you want to bring up. Neither has done a whole lot lately.

Or does your version of "meritocracy" only apply to veterans and/or the guys you don't like?